Signing up for credit cards through partner links earns us a commission. Here’s our full Advertising Policy.
Aside from an excellent limited-time sign-up bonus of 70,000 American Airlines miles after meeting minimum spending requirements, the CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Mastercard® is worth it for small business owners who like to fly American Airlines.
There’s a $99 annual fee that’s waived the first 12 months. And it’s worth keeping long-term if you:
- Spend a lot in the 2X bonus categories, including American Airlines flights, telecommunications, cable, car rentals, and gas stations
- Check bags on American Airlines domestic flights and don’t have elite status
- Want to get cards for employees to earn more American Airlines miles
- Enjoy preferred boarding and saving 25% off in-flight food, drinks, and Wi-Fi
- Want to keep your small business spending separate from your personal expenses
- Are concerned about your Chase 5/24 status, or getting Citi’s personal American Airlines cards in the future
It’s also a great choice if you don’t have other American Airlines cards, because you can earn miles with the big sign-up offer and regular business spending.
I’ll share the details!
Is the Citi American Airlines Platinum Select Business Card Worth It?
When you sign-up for the Citi American Airlines Platinum Select small business card, you’ll earn 70,000 American Airlines miles after spending $4,000 on purchases in the first 4 months of account opening.
That’s great on its own, but let’s see if it’s worth keeping.
2X American Airlines Miles for Common Small Business Spending
You’ll also get:
- 2 American Airlines miles per $1 spent on American Airlines flights
- 2 American Airlines miles per $1 spent at telecommunications merchants, cable and satellite providers, car rental merchants, and gas stations
- 1 American Airlines mile per $1 spent on other purchases
American Airlines flights, car rentals and gas stations are straightforward, but the other 2X categories are opaque. Citi defines “telecommunications merchants” as:
Merchants that sell telecommunications equipment such as telephones, fax machines, pagers, and cellular phones, along with providers of telecommunications services including local and long-distance telephone calls and fax services.
Cable and satellite providers include:
Merchants that provide the connection and ongoing delivery of television, internet (computer network, information services, email website hosting services), telephone, and radio programming via cable or satellite on a subscription or fee basis.
So most cable, internet, and phone services should earn 2X American Airlines miles. If any of these, along with rental cars and gas, are big expenses to run your small business, you can keep the American Airlines miles flowing in nicely.
And of course, if you pay for American Airlines flights, you can use your Citi American Airlines Platinum Select small business card to earn 2X miles.
Other Travel and Small Business Perks Add to the Value of the CitiBusiness American Airlines Platinum Select
You’ll also be privy to special perks when you fly American Airlines:
- First checked bag free for you and up to 4 travel companions on the same reservation (domestic American Airlines flights only)
- Preferred boarding on American Airlines flights
- 25% savings on in-flight food, drinks, and Wi-Fi purchased with your card
Priority boarding doesn’t have a tangible price, but I enjoy getting to my seat before the rest of the coach cabin boards. That way I can put my bag right over my seat and pull out my Kindle to get in an extra chapter of whatever book I’m reading.
But if you check bags domestically, you can save $60 per round-trip flight for up to 5 people (you and up to 4 travel companions on the same reservation). That’s a huge savings that can easily make the Citi American Airlines Platinum Select small business card well worth the annual fee.
Finally, know that employee cards are free. Not only can you track each card’s spending, but each purchase earns American Airlines miles that go to your loyalty account – which is pretty sweet!
Having this card also assures you can keep your business spending apart from personal spending, which is helpful if you’re using accounting software or itemizing your expenses for tax time – especially if you get a lot of 1099 forms.
How to Decide If the CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum Select Is Worth It for You
If you fly American Airlines semi-regularly and don’t have elite status, the Citi American Airlines Platinum Select small business card is definitely worthwhile – particularly if you like earning American Airlines miles.
And the free checked bag and priority boarding are excellent benefits if you’ll use them.
If you spend a lot in the 2X bonus categories, you can rack up American Airlines miles at double speed. And if you want to give cards to your employees, or just keep better track of your business spending, having a small business account is an easy way to keep things in one place.
Here’s our full review of the Citi American Airlines Platinum Select small business card with more information to guide you.
Bonus: The CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum Select Won’t Count Against Your 5/24 Status or Affect Personal Citi Cards
Nowadays, opening one card usually means foregoing others.
Luckily, the Citi American Airlines Platinum Select small business card will NOT change your Chase 5/24 status because it won’t show up on your personal credit report. That’s helpful for folks who still want to open the best Chase cards down the road.
And Citi has a rule that says if you opened or closed another card within the same brand in the last 24 months, you can’t earn the bonus on other cards in that brand.
However, the Citi American Airlines Platinum Select small business card has nothing to do with Citi’s personal American Airlines cards. So you can still open cards like:
- Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite™ Mastercard®
- Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite™ Mastercard®
- American Airlines AAdvantage MileUp℠ Card
You might make a spot in your wallet for the Citi American Airlines Platinum Select small business card if you:
- Like the 2X earning categories (American Airlines flights, telecommunications merchants, cable and satellite providers, car rental merchants, and gas stations)
- Want American Airlines travel perks, like priority boarding and a free first checked bag on domestic flights (for you and up to 4 companions on the same reservation)
- Want to keep your small business spending separate for tracking and accounting reasons
- Are trying to stay below Chase 5/24, or want other Citi American Airlines personal cards
If any of these fit your situation, you can do well with the card. Plus, the $99 annual fee is waived the first 12 months, so you can see how you like it before paying for it.
Are you planning to add the Citi American Airlines Platinum Select small business to your collection?
Check out these other posts about the card: