We devote thousands of hours of research to help you get Big Travel with Small Money. You support us by signing-up for credit cards through partner links which earn us a commission. Here’s our full Advertising Policy.
Update: One or more card offers in this post are no longer available. Check our Hot Deals for the latest offers.
|Card Name||Welcome Bonus|
|The Business Platinum® Card from American Express OPEN||up to 75,000 AMEX Membership Rewards points
Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards points after you spend $10,000 and an extra 25,000 points after you spend an additional $10,000 in the first 3 months from account opening
|The Platinum Card® from American Express||60,000 AMEX Membership Rewards points after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening|
- Dallas-Fort Worth (DFW)
- Houston Intercontinental (IAH)
- Las Vegas (LAS)
- New York-La Guardia (LGA)
- Miami (MIA)
- Philadelphia (PHL)
- San Francisco (SFO)
- Seattle-Tacoma (SEA)
AMEX Platinum cardholders get exclusive and complimentary access to Centurion Lounges. These popular airport lounges offer tasty buffet style meals, premium alcoholic beverages, showers, conference spaces, and speedy Wi-Fi.
As an AMEX Business Platinum cardholder, Million Mile Secrets team member Keith has been to 4 of the AMEX Centurion Lounges. He’s consistently had pleasant experiences at the lounges during all times of the day and night. And he loves that just being a cardholder ends up saving him money because he doesn’t have to pay for overpriced airport food and drinks.
Escape the Airport Madness by Visiting an AMEX Centurion Lounge
Link: AMEX Centurion Lounges
AMEX Centurion Lounges are known to be clean and comfortable. And because AMEX made several guest policy changes this year, you’re less likely to experience overcrowding at their lounges, which many Million Mile Secrets readers have noted to be an issue at Priority Pass lounges.
There are only a few cards that will give you access to Centurion Lounges:
- The Platinum Card® from American Express
- The Platinum Card® from American Express Exclusively for Mercedes-Benz
- The Business Platinum® Card from American Express OPEN
- American Express Centurion Card (invitation only)
With one of these cards, you and 2 guests can access the lounge for free. You’ll have to pay $50 per person for a day pass to bring any additional guests, even if they’re an immediate family member.
For some AMEX Platinum cardholders, just the complimentary Centurion Lounge access alone can make the card worth keeping because of the lounge amenities like:
- Free high-speed Wi-Fi
- Lounge pods
- Computer workspaces with printers
- Large flat-screen televisions
- Premium cocktail bar
- Buffet style dining at breakfast, lunch, and dinner
You must have a boarding pass, same-day flight, and eligible AMEX Platinum card to enter the lounge. But keep in mind, you can enter the lounge after your arrive in a city with a Centurion Lounge. Team member Keith did this in Las Vegas to get a free dinner!
Centurion Lounges have open-air kitchens with chefs preparing hot meals for guests, which are served buffet style. The menu is always changing, but here’s an example of the dinner that was available when team member Keith last visited the lounge in Las Vegas:
- Fried chicken in Scotch bonnet hot sauce
- Wild rice
- Bruschetta with fresh tomato & mozzarella
- Brussel sprouts
- Salad and vegetable side dishes
- Chocolate chip cookies
Team member Harlan likes using his AMEX Mercedes-Benz Platinum card to visit the lounge in Dallas. He really enjoys that the lounge serves full meals and not just pretzels and peanuts like some other airport lounges.
And if you’re tired of paying for overpriced beer or wine at the airport, then you’ll definitely enjoy the premium bars at Centurion Lounges.
The Centurion Lounge I visited in San Francisco even had an automated wine-tasting wall! There was a large self-serve drink station too, with an espresso machine and iced drinks.
Don’t Forget About the Long List of Other AMEX Platinum Perks!
The ongoing statement credits, valuable sign-up bonuses, and transferable points are great perks of the AMEX Platinum cards.
- $200 in statement credits per calendar year for airline incidentals with your selected airline (luggage fees, in-flight food & drink, etc.)
- Free Hilton Gold elite status (free breakfast and upgrades when available)
- Free Starwood Gold elite status (which you can match to Marriott)
- Statement credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck
- No foreign transaction fees
There are unique perks with each version of the card too!
And AMEX Business Platinum cardholders get these exclusive benefits:
- Earn 1.5X AMEX Membership Rewards points on single purchases of $5,000+
- Get 35% of your points back for ALL First Class or Business Class flights booked through the AMEX travel portal using Pay With Points
- Get 35% of your points back for all flights, including coach tickets, booked with your selected airline through the AMEX travel portal using Pay With Points
The personal version of the AMEX Platinum card has a $550 annual fee and the small business version has a $450 annual fee. Neither annual fee is waived the first year. But the statement credits, lounge access, and valuable sign-up bonuses can make paying the annual fee worth it!
At these lounges, you can enjoy terrific perks, like tasty buffet style meals and premium cocktails. And cardholders can bring along 2 guests for free to experience the benefits too!
I like that you can visit a Centurion Lounge even after your flight arrives. Team member Keith has done this when visiting Las Vegas to save money on dinner!
I’d love to hear about your experiences at a Centurion Lounge! Let me know in the comments below!