Disclosure: We get a commission for links on the blog. You don’t have to use our links, but we’re very grateful when you do. American Express, Barclaycard, Chase, and US Bank are Million Mile Secrets advertising partners. Opinions expressed here are the author's alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or endorsed by our partners. Here’s our Advertiser Disclosure.
Via Deals We Like, you can earn 2X rewards when you register your eligible AMEX personal and small business cards and shop at small businesses through December 31, 2016.
This is part of the AMEX Shop Small promotion.
Depending which AMEX card(s) you have, this could be a very good deal.
And if your card has bonus spending categories, you can earn even more rewards!
I’ll explain more about the AMEX Shop Small promotion!
Earn 2X Rewards With AMEX Cards
Through December 31, 2016, you can earn extra cash back, miles, or points on small business purchases after you register your eligible AMEX cards.
You’ll earn 1 additional AMEX Membership Rewards point per $1 you spend with these cards:
- AMEX EveryDay® Credit Card from American Express
- American Express® Mercedes-Benz Platinum
- AMEX EveryDay® Preferred Credit Card
- Premier Rewards Gold Card from American Express
- The Blue for Business® Credit Card from American Express
- The Business Gold Rewards Card from American Express OPEN
- The Enhanced Business Platinum® Card from American Express OPEN
- The Platinum Card® from American Express
You’ll earn 1 additional Delta mile per $1 you spend with these cards:
- Delta Reserve Credit Card from American Express
- Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express
- Gold Delta SkyMiles® Business Credit Card from American Express
- Platinum Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card
- Platinum Delta SkyMiles® Business Credit Card
You’ll earn 1% additional cash back per $1 you spend with these cards:
- Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express
- Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express
- SimplyCash® Plus Business Credit Card from American Express
You’ll earn 3 additional Hilton points per $1 you spend with these cards:
You’ll earn 1 additional Starwood point per $1 you spend with these cards:
- Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express
- Starwood Preferred Guest® Business Credit Card from American Express
You’ll have to register each of your cards individually to take part in this promotion. Authorized do NOT have to register. But their spending will still count for this promotion.
The promotion applies on up to $100,000 of purchases on personal cards and $250,000 of purchases on small business cards.
You’ll see the bonus points in your AMEX account 10 to 12 weeks after the promotion ends on December 31, 2016.
Is This a Good Deal?
But this current promotion is better than 2015, which had no special AMEX small business deals.
It’s always nice to earn extra rewards supporting small businesses. And with the AMEX Shop Small promotion, you might end up earning extra miles, points, and cash back on purchases you were already planning to make anyway, like holiday shopping.
The current deal is good because the extra rewards are in addition to any regular bonuses you might earn.
For example, when you register your AMEX Premier Rewards Gold with this promotion, you’ll earn a total of 3 AMEX Membership Rewards points per $1 you spend at restaurants that qualify as a small business. This is better than the typical 2 AMEX Membership Rewards points you’d normally earn.
Similarly, if you have restaurants selected as the 3% cash back bonus category on your AMEX SimplyCash Plus card, you’ll earn 4% cash back with this promotion at eligible restaurants.
This means you might consider shifting small business spending to eligible AMEX cards. Because the total rewards you earn, especially in AMEX bonus categories, can be better than what you’d get with another card in your wallet.
It’s great to see AMEX announce a new promotion soon after they added a 5X bonus category to the AMEX Platinum card! This shows they’re keeping up the competition with other banks!
And AMEX also has excellent increased limited time offers on several cards, including:
- AMEX Business Platinum (100,000 point sign-up bonus)
- AMEX Hilton HHonors & AMEX Hilton HHonors Surpass (best ever offers)
- AMEX SimplyCash Plus (earn up to $500 cash back)
- Starwood Preferred Guest small business card (25,000 sign-up bonus)
Will you shop small with this AMEX promotion?