Disclosure: We get a commission for links on the blog. You don’t have to use our links, but we’re very grateful when you do. American Express, Barclaycard, Capital One, Chase, and US Bank are Million Mile Secrets advertising partners. Opinions expressed here are the author's alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or endorsed by our partners. Here’s our Advertiser Disclosure.
Hilton periodically switches hotels between categories, based on economic factors, room rates, amenities, and the hotel’s popularity. So if you have Hilton award stays coming up, check out the list to see if your hotel is affected.
I’ll explain what’s changing!
Hilton Category Changes
Link: Hilton Category Changes
Link: Hilton Award Chart
Considering Hilton has ~4,600 locations around the world, the 54 changing category only account for ~1% of their hotels. So this won’t be a big deal for most folks.
Hilton hotels include Conrad, Canopy, Curio, DoubleTree, Embassy Suites, Hampton Inn, Hilton, Hilton Garden Inn, Hilton Grand Vacations, Home2Suites, Homewood Suites, Tru, and Waldorf Astoria brand hotels.
Hotels Moving to a Higher Category
There are 21 Hilton hotels moving up a category, and all but 6 are in the US. So you’ll pay more points per night at hotels like:
- DoubleTree by Hilton Beijing (moving from category 2 to category 3)
- Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh (moving from category 8 to category 9)
- Waldorf Astoria Jerusalem (moving from category 9 to category 10)
- Hampton Inn & Suites Raleigh Downtown (moving from category 4 to category 5)
So if your hotel is increasing in price, book your award stays before October 12, 2016, to lock-in the lower rate.
Hotels Moving to a Lower Category
If you’re planning a trip to Turkey, you’ll do well with the Hilton changes. That’s because there are 33 hotels decreasing in category, and 26 of them are in Turkey!
Other notable reductions include:
- Hilton Cabana Miami Beach (moving from category 9 to category 8)
- Hilton Garden Inn Dubai Mall of the Emirates (moving from category 6 to category 4)
- Vintro Hotel South Beach Curio Collection (moving from category 9 to category 8)
If you have plans to stay at any of these hotels, book after October 12, 2016. And if you’ve already booked award nights, you can almost always cancel and re-book at the lower rate. Just be sure there are still award nights available when you cancel!
Want More Hilton Points?
Folks love Hilton points because they’re very easy to earn. And if you got in on Hilton’s Diamond status match deal earlier this year, there’s even more reason to consider staying at Hilton hotels!
There are 4 credit cards which earn Hilton points directly:
- Hilton Honors™ Card from American Express
- Hilton Honors™ Surpass® Card from American Express
- Citi® Hilton HHonors™ Reserve Card
- Citi® Hilton HHonors™Visa Signature® Card
Don’t forget, you can also transfer flexible points to Hilton from:
And if you want more Hilton points, there are plenty of ways to earn them!
Are you surprised by any of these category changes? Will you make adjustments to your travel plans?