Disclosure: We get a commission for links on the blog. You don’t have to use our links, but we’re very grateful when you do. American Express, Barclaycard, Capital One, Chase, and US Bank are Million Mile Secrets advertising partners. Opinions expressed here are the author's alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or endorsed by our partners. Here’s our Advertiser Disclosure.
Autoslash used to be one of the best ways to save money on a car rental.
Cheap Car Rentals Series:
- Part 1 – Finding The MOST You Should Pay With Hotwire & Costco Travel
- Part 2 – Save Hundreds of Dollars by Using the Chase Ultimate Rewards or Citi Thank You Portal!
- Part 3 – Saving Money With the Capital One Travel Portal
- Part 4 – Southwest Airlines’ Car Rentals
- Part 5 – National Car Rental’s “Last Minute Specials”
- Part 6 – Priceline’s “Name Your Own Price”
- Part 7 – 5 Ways to Add an Additional Driver for Free
- Part 8 – Let Autoslash Do The Work
- Part 9 – American Airlines Car Rentals
- Part 10 – Why Everyone Should Sign Up For Frequent Car Rental Programs
- Part 11 – Save More With Car Rental Savers
- Part 12 – Do You Know How To Get The Lowest Price For Drivers Under 25 Years Old?
- Using Airline Miles for Car Rentals
- Using Hertz Coupons & Discounts
- Using Airline Discount Codes & Earning Miles for Rentals
The way it worked is that you would first make a refundable rental car reservation at Hertz, or Avis etc. You would then have Autoslash track the price of the rental (in case it decreased) by entering the confirmation number in Autoslash.
Autoslash would then track the rental and send you an email every time the price decreased and give you the option to rebook. You could also book directly through Autoslash and have Autoslash automatically rebook you at a lower price if the rates went down.
But the rental companies didn’t like how Autoslash was saving money for consumers and no longer let Autoslash work for their car rentals. So you won’t see most car rental companies when you search for car rentals on Autoslash.
More importantly, in my experience and in the posts on this FlyerTalk thread, Autoslash no longer tracks car rentals made elsewhere.
It isn’t clear if Autoslash is reliably tracking cheaper car rentals any more, but it doesn’t hurt to enter in your confirmation made elsewhere and hope that Autoslash can find you a lower rate.
* If you liked this post, why don’t you join the 10,000+ readers who have signed-up to receive free blog posts via email (only 1 email per day!) or in a RSS reader …because then you’ll never miss another update!