Credit Card Reconsideration
If you are not approved for a credit card application online, don’t give up!
Instead, call the credit card reconsideration telephone line within 30 days and ask them to review your application.
I explained earlier how I called the Chase credit card reconsideration line and got Emily’s Sapphire Preferred application approved.
5 Ways To Make Your Credit Card Reconsideration Call A Success
1. Be prepared
- Have a copy of your credit report with you so that you can make reference to the number of open accounts and inquiries on your credit report.
- Also know your credit score. And know the number of cards you currently have open with the bank and when you opened them.
2. Lead the call
In my opinion, it is better for you to lead the credit card reconsideration call than to let the rep lead the call.
Lead the call by letting the rep know that you love your existing relationship with the bank and that you were wondering if there was any way to get approved for a new credit card by reducing the high credit line on your existing credit cards.
This lets the rep know that you are aware of why you may have initially been denied a credit card.
Lots of folks get denied for credit cards because of late payments or charge-offs on their credit cards.
You want to quickly let the rep know that your denial wasn’t because of late payments or credit mismanagement, but because you may have reached the credit limit which the bank will assign you.
I have successfully used this method to get approved for credit cards even when the reason for denial was “too many inquiries” on my credit report.
3. Know why you’re applying for a new credit card
Don’t say that you want the credit card only for the miles. Offer additional reasons as to why you want the card, before you are asked why you want another card.
Examples of good reasons could be:
- My company changed their preferred airline/hotel and I need a different credit card to match
- I moved and American Airlines (or whatever loyalty airline card you have) doesn’t fly to my new city
- I hate Airline X after they cancelled my flight and I will never fly with them again
- I want a card with no foreign exchange fee
- I want a card with a low annual fee or no annual fee
- I don’t have any credit cards with your bank and have heard great things about your bank from my friends/family and want to start a relationship with your bank
4. Leverage your existing relationship with the bank
You are more likely to get approved, on your credit card reconsideration call, if the rep knows that you are a loyal and profitable customer for the bank.
Be sure to mention if you have:
- a checking account or credit card with the bank for 2+ years
- charged a large amount on other credit cards with the same bank
- never been late on a payment
5. Be polite with the telephone representative
In general, you get more when you are calm, positive, and well prepared.
Yelling at the phone rep during the credit card reconsideration call will only hurt your chances of getting approved, besides indicating that you are a jerk.
When was the last time you lent money to someone after being yelled at for initially refusing?
Credit Card Reconsideration Telephone numbers
I’ve listed the credit card reconsideration telephone numbers below:
1. American Express Credit Card Reconsideration
- 866-314-0237 – reconsideration
- 877-399-3083/866-379-3643 – new accounts
- 800 230 1284 – credit services
- 800 582 6471 – new accounts/reconsideration, but agents don’t usually process applications immediately.
2. Bank Of America Credit Card Reconsideration
- 866-458-8805 connects directly to a credit analyst
- 877-721-9405 – application status press 3
- Check your application status here
3. Barclay’s Credit Card Reconsideration
- 866-408-4064 connects directly to a credit analyst
4. Chase Credit Card Reconsideration
- 888-245-0625 connects directly to a personal card credit analyst
- 800-453-9719 connects directly to a business card credit analyst
- 888 – 609 – 7805 connects to the application status department
5. Citibank Credit Card Reconsideration
- 800-695-5171/800-763-9795 – credit department
- 866-606-2787 – application status
- 888-201-4523 – application status
You are usually more successful when you write to: CitiBank Executive Review Department, P.O. Box 6000, Sioux Falls, SD 57117.
5. US Bank Credit Card Reconsideration
- 800-947-1444 - reconsideration
- 800-685-7680 - reconsideration
How have you been approved for credit cards after being initially denied? Tell us about it in the comments!