These Citi American Airlines cardholders get $225 statement credit, extended companion certificate
Signing up for credit cards through partner links earns us a commission. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. Here’s our full Advertising Policy.
Citi is an MMS advertising partner.
The positive changes from credit card issuers continue rolling in at an unexpected rate as COVID-19 refuses to relax its grip from the neck of the U.S. economy. This time, Citi shows its philanthropic side by offering relief to cardmembers of the following cards:
- Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite Mastercard®
- CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® Mastercard®
If you’ve got either (or both) cards, good news is coming your way! Here’s what you need to know.
The information for the CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum card has been collected independently by Million Mile Secrets. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Citi AAdvantage Executive $225 statement credit
The Citi AAdvantage Executive card is known for three things:
- Its welcome bonus of 50,000 bonus miles after spending $5,000 in purchases within the first three months of account opening
- Its complimentary American Airlines Admirals Club lounge membership (and the ability to add up to 10 authorized users who will themselves receive Admirals Club lounge access)
- Its difficult-to-swallow $450 annual fee (read our Citi AAdvantage Executive review to learn why the card is worth it)
Seeing as you Admirals Club regulars won’t be frequenting lounges as often as normal for perhaps months longer, this card’s annual fee might look particularly repugnant in the moment. Citi clearly wants you to keep your card, because they’re offering a one-time $225 statement credit when you renew your account (pay the annual fee). This means you’re effectively paying an annual fee of $225 this year. More than fair, in my opinion.
Note that only those who have been Citi AAdvantage Executive cardmembers as of March 31, 2020, will qualify for this credit.
CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum Select companion certificate expiration
The CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum Select comes with two unique benefits:
- 65,000 bonus miles after spending $4,000 in purchases within the first four months of account opening
- A companion certificate after you spend $30,000 or more in purchases within a year from the anniversary of your card year and renew it (account must remain open at least 45 days after anniversary date)
Let me first say that welcome bonus is staggering. If you qualify for this card, go for it. We estimate that American Airlines are worth an average of 1.4 cents each, meaning that bonus can earn you $910 without breaking a sweat (and much more if you know the best use of American miles).
If you have a small business that has any kind of significant expenses ($30,000+ per year), you’ll likely qualify for the card’s companion certificate, which allows you to bring a travel buddy with you for $99, plus taxes and fees (~$22 to ~$43, based on itinerary).
American Airlines is extending the expiration date by six months for all companion certificates expiring on or before December 31, 2020. That means you’ve got until the end of June 2021 to use your certificate!
Read our full CitiBusiness AAdvantage review.
For more credit card benefits and news, subscribe to our newsletter.
Editorial Note: We're the Million Mile Secrets team. And we're proud of our content, opinions and analysis, and of our reader's comments. These haven’t been reviewed, approved or endorsed by any of the airlines, hotels, or credit card issuers which we often write about. And that’s just how we like it! :)