You can now book nearly any Marriott property at off-peak award prices
Signing up for credit cards through partner links earns us a commission. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. Here’s our full advertising policy: How we make money.
Update: One or more card offers in this post are no longer available. Check our Hot Deals for the latest offers.
After Marriott launched the amazing new Marriott Bonvoy Boundless™ Credit Card welcome offer last week, it’s now out with a fantastic award sale. This can save you up to 30,000 points per night on your next trip, and it may even be possible to rebook current stays at lower prices.
Marriott Week of Wonders award sale
Marriott has just launched multiple deals under its Week of Wonders promotion, but the most eye-catching detail is the capping of prices on award nights.
If you book by Oct. 15 for stays through Nov. 30, you can save up to 30,000 points on hotel award nights at more than 7,000 hotels and resorts around the world.
The way Marriott is running this promotion is a bit tricky, but still very worthwhile. It’s not actually discounting the award stays, but is lowering every single property to off-peak prices. So let’s say you want to book a category 6 property with points, but the dates you wanted were at peak prices for 60,000 points a night, you should now be able to book them for 40,000 point per night!
At best, this deal will save you 30,000 points a night at category 8 properties since peak pricing charges 100,000 points a night, and off-peak pricing sets rates at 70,000 points a night. Those 30,000 points are worth $240 according to our points valuations.
Below is Marriott’s award chart, with off-peak prices highlighted:
While travel is much more limited in our current circumstance, you’d expect most properties to already be at off-peak prices. But surprisingly, I’ve found dozen of hotels over the last few weeks that were priced at peak rates, so this deal is definitely worthwhile.
Remember that you can also get a fifth night free on award stays, and nights booked under this promotion will qualify for that.
Although it’s unlikely you’ll earn the new Marriott Bonvoy Boundless™ Credit Card sign up bonus in time, you could use your five 50,000 point free night certificates at category 7 hotels, since those properties go for 50,000 points under off-peak prices.
Some great properties to get discounted nights are:
- The St. Regis Maldives for 70,000 points per night (standard rates are 80,000 points per night, peak is 100,000 points per night)
- The Ritz-Carlton properties in Half Moon Bay, Santa Barbara, Rancho Mirage, and Laguna Niguel for 50,000 points (standard = 60,000 points per night, peak = 70,000 points per night)
- Marriott Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa for 30,000 points (standard = 35,000 points per night, peak = 40,000 points per night)
- JW Marriott Los Cabos for 40,000 points (standard = 50,000 points per night, peak = 60,000 points per night)
You can also use your annual (up to) 35,000-point free night certificates from the Marriott Bonvoy Boundless™ Credit Card and Marriott Bonvoy Business™ American Express® Card for bigger value since you’ll be able to book any category 5 property at off-peak prices.
Rebook current stays at lower prices
Marriott’s current COVID-19 cancellation policy allows any reservations made on or after July 6 for arrival dates through Dec. 30, 2020 to be changed or cancelled at no charge up to 24 hours before the scheduled arrival date.
Because of this, you should be able to cancel your award stay for free and rebook at a lower rate. For example, if you paid standard or peak rates when you booked, you should be able to cancel your existing reservation and then rebook at off-peak prices (that is, as long as you have enough points in your account and your stay is before Nov. 30).
How to earn Marriott points
The easiest (and quickest) way to earn Marriott points is with welcome offers from the best travel credit cards. Chase and American Express each issue cards that earn Marriott points.
- With the Marriott Bonvoy Boundless™ Credit Card you can earn 5 Free Nights (worth up to 50,000 points per night) after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. This offer is basically worth up to 250,000 Marriott points, making it the highest offer we’ve ever seen on the card!
- The Marriott Bonvoy Business™ American Express® Card has a welcome bonus of 100,000 Marriott Bonvoy points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Earn up to $150 in statement credits within your first 6 months of Card Membership for all eligible purchases on your Card on U.S. Advertising in select Media. Plus receive complimentary Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite status for one year (February 1, 2021-January 31, 2022). Offer ends 1/13/21.
- The Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ American Express® Card offers up to 125,000 Marriott Bonvoy points. Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $5,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Plus, earn an additional 25,000 bonus points after your first anniversary of Card Membership. Enjoy complimentary Platinum Elite status with your Card for the 2021 status year. Offer Expires 1/13/2021
If you were planning on booking a stay at a Marriott property in October or November, now’s an even better time to do it with the newly discounted award rates.
For the latest tips and tricks on traveling big without spending a fortune, please subscribe to the Million Mile Secrets daily email newsletter.
Featured image courtesy of Marriott.
Editorial Note: We're the Million Mile Secrets team. And we're proud of our content, opinions and analysis, and of our reader's comments. These haven’t been reviewed, approved or endorsed by any of the airlines, hotels, or credit card issuers which we often write about. And that’s just how we like it! :)
Join the Discussion!