How to earn United miles – 100,000-point bonuses available
Signing up for credit cards through partner links earns us a commission. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. Here’s our full Advertising Policy.
Update: One or more card offers in this post are no longer available. Check our Hot Deals for the latest offers.
Many MMS readers love the United Mileage Plus program (myself included) not only because they’re easy to earn, but also because, compared to other frequent flyer programs, they seem to have really consistent award availability. Plus, they’re part of the Star Alliance, so you can use United Airlines miles for flights on partner airlines like Air Canada and Lufthansa.
There are multiple ways to earn United Airlines miles without taking a flight. You can earn them with United Airlines credit cards, like the United Club℠ Infinite Card (which currently comes with up to 100,000 miles after meeting spending requirements) or indirectly with travel credit cards that earn flexible points like the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card.
Here’s our guide for how to earn United miles:
How to earn United Miles
Here’s how to get more United Airlines miles into your account.
Fly United Airlines
You’ll earn United Airlines miles any time you take a United Airlines or United Express flight and add your MileagePlus number to the reservation. The number of miles you’ll earn is tied to the cash price of the ticket’s base fare, not including taxes and government fees.
Depending on your elite status level, you’ll earn:
- 5 miles per dollar – Basic member
- 7 miles per dollar – Premier Silver member
- 8 miles per dollar – Premier Gold member
- 9 miles per dollar – Premier Platinum member
- 11 miles per dollar – Premier 1K member
Here’s our United Airlines status review with more information.
Use United Airlines credit cards
You’ll earn United Airlines miles when you open and use a Chase United Airlines credit card, including:
- United Business Card – Earn 100,000 bonus miles after you spend $10,000 in the first three months your account is open.
- United℠ Explorer Card – Earn 40,000 bonus miles after you spend $2,000 on purchases in the first three months your account is open.
- United Club℠ Infinite Card – Earn 100,000 bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first three months your account is open.
- United Club℠ Business Card – Earn 100,000 bonus miles after you spend $10,000 on purchases in the first three months your account is open.
- United℠ TravelBank Card – Earn $150 in TravelBank cash after you spend $1,000 on purchases in the first three months your account is open.
All of the cobranded United cards are Chase credit cards and are subject to the Chase 5/24 rule, which means if you’ve opened five or more cards (from any bank, except Chase business cards and certain other business credit cards) in the past 24 months, you won’t be approved.
The information for the United Club Business Card and United TravelBank Card has been collected independently by Million Mile Secrets. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Fly United Airlines partners
When you use your MileagePlus number on partner airlines, you’ll earn United Airlines miles. How many you’ll earn varies by airline, fare type and cabin of travel.
United Airlines’ Star Alliance partners are:
- Air Canada
- Air China
- Air India
- Air New Zealand
- Asiana Airlines
- Brussels Airlines
- Copa Airlines
- Croatia Airlines
- EVA Air
- LOT Polish Airlines
- Shenzhen Airlines
- Singapore Airlines
- South African Airways
- TAP Air Portugal
- Turkish Airlines
You can also earn United Airlines miles on airline partners outside the Star Alliance, including:
- Aer Lingus
- Air Dolomiti
- Boutique Air
- Cape Air
- Hawaiian Airlines (inter-island flights only)
- Olympic Air
- Silver Airways
In total, that gives you 37 other airlines where you can earn and redeem United Airlines miles. You can check how many miles you’ll earn when you fly each partner on this page.
MileagePlus shopping and dining
When you start your shopping through the United MileagePlus portal or dine with participating restaurants after linking a credit or debit card, you’ll earn even more United Airlines miles. These miles are a bonus on top of any other miles or points you earn. Plus, there are often limited-time promotions to earn extra bonus miles, so it’s worth checking if there’s anything going on.
Spend with MileagePlus partners
United Airlines has partnerships with all types of merchants and travel providers, and you can opt to earn United Airlines miles when you shop with them. Partners include:
- Vacation packages
- Quicken Loans
- United Cruises
Note that with travel partners, like the rental car companies, earning United Airlines miles means forfeiting the rental car company’s own loyalty points. And if you book a hotel or a cruise, always shop around to make sure you’re getting a good deal.
Transfer Chase Ultimate Rewards points to United
If you need more United Airlines miles, you can transfer Chase Ultimate Rewards points instantly to United Airlines at a 1:1 ratio if you have one of these cards:
If you have any of the Chase Ultimate Rewards cards mentioned above, you can combine points from the no-annual-fee Chase Ultimate Rewards cards below and move them to United Airlines as well:
- Ink Business Cash Credit Card
- Ink Business Unlimited Credit Card
- Chase Freedom
- Chase Freedom Unlimited
This is an easy way to get an award ticket if you find a route and time that works and need more miles. While transfers are free, you must transfer in increments of 1,000 points.
The information for the Chase Freedom has been collected independently by Million Mile Secrets. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Transfer Marriott Bonvoy points
United Airlines has a deal with Marriott Bonvoy that gets you 10% more miles when you convert Marriott Bonvoy points to United Airlines miles.
That’s on top of the 5,000-mile bonus you’ll get for every 60,000 Marriott Bonvoy points you transfer, so it can work out to be an especially great deal if you stack the two. Keep in mind you must transfer at least 3,000 Marriott Bonvoy points, with a maximum of 240,000 points per day. Here’s our step-by-step guide to transferring Marriott points to airlines.
The easiest way to collect Marriott points is with welcome offers from cards that earn Marriott points:
- Marriott Bonvoy Boundless™ Credit Card – Earn 100,000 Bonus Points after you spend $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening.
- Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ American Express® Card – Earn up to 125,000 Marriott Bonvoy points. Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $5,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Plus, earn an additional 25,000 bonus points after your first anniversary of Card Membership. Enjoy complimentary Platinum Elite status with your Card for the 2021 status year. Offer Expires 1/13/2021. Terms apply
- Marriott Bonvoy Business™ American Express® Card – Earn 100,000 Marriott Bonvoy points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Earn up to $150 in statement credits within your first 6 months of Card Membership for all eligible purchases on your Card on U.S. Advertising in select Media. Plus receive complimentary Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite status for one year (February 1, 2021-January 31, 2022). Offer ends 1/13/21. Terms apply
- Marriott Bonvoy Bold™ Credit Card – Earn 30,000 Marriott points after you spend $1,000 in the first three months from opening the account.
Use the MileagePlus X App
You can buy gift cards for dozens of merchants through the MileagePlus X app and earn United Airlines miles at the same time.
Plus, if you have a Chase United Airlines card, like the United℠ Explorer Card, you’ll earn 25% bonus miles automatically – and you do not have to use the card to pay through the app.
Your miles post immediately, so you can redeem them right away.
There are a variety of ways to earn United Airlines miles, including the top credit card welcome bonuses and ongoing spending.
You can earn them directly from United Airlines co-branded cards, like the United Explorer Card, or indirectly by transferring Chase Ultimate Rewards points from a card like the Chase Sapphire Preferred or transferring Marriott points to United Airlines miles. With all of these ways to earn United Airlines miles, you can be on your way to free flights in no time at all.
|For more travel and credit card news, deals and analysis sign up for our newsletter here.|
Chase Sapphire Preferred® CardAPPLY NOW
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That’s $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash’s subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
Either $5 or 5% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater.
Editorial Note: We're the Million Mile Secrets team. And we're proud of our content, opinions and analysis, and of our reader's comments. These haven’t been reviewed, approved or endorsed by any of the airlines, hotels, or credit card issuers which we often write about. And that’s just how we like it! :)