Do United Airlines miles expire? No, here’s what you need to know
Signing up for credit cards through partner links earns us a commission. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. Here’s our full Advertising Policy.
Update: One or more card offers in this post are no longer available. Check our Hot Deals for the latest offers.
United Airlines miles used to expire 18 months after the last activity date on your account. But when United announced it was ditching it’s award chart in favor of dynamic pricing they also announced that United miles will no longer expire.
That’s good news if you like to use airline credit cards or rewards credit cards to earn United Airlines miles, because you could earn the bonus with a card like the United℠ Business Card and use the miles anytime in the future. Now is a great time to consider the Chase United Business card because it has an increased bonus of 100,000 miles after spending $10,000 in the first three months.
United Airlines miles do not expire
United followed Delta’s lead to join the ranks of airline loyalty programs with miles that never expire. Here’s a look at airline mileage expiration policies:
- Air Canada: 12 months without activity
- Alaska Airlines: 24 months without activity
- American Airlines: 18 months without activity
- British Airways: 36 months without activity
- Cathay Pacific Asia Miles: 36 months after earning
- Delta Miles: Never expire
- Hawaiian Airlines: 18 months without activity
- JetBlue: Never expire
- Singapore Airlines: 36 months after earning
- Southwest Airlines: Never expire
- Spirit Airlines: 3 months without earning
- United Airlines: Never expire
Use United Miles for award flights
Once you’ve setup a United Airlines account you’re ready to starting collecting United Airlines miles and putting them to good use. Now that there is no longer a United Airlines award chart the price of awards will vary based on a variety of factors, but this isn’t the end of the world. We’ve already started seeing cheaper United flights than before with one-way domestic awards dipping below 5,000 miles on some routes.
Also, United has eliminated close-in award booking fees and instead is charging 1,500 to 3,500 miles more for flights booked within 30 days of departure.
If you’re ready to get serious about United miles the fastest way to earn them is by opening a United Airlines credit card:
- United℠ Explorer Card – Earn 60,000 United Airlines miles after you spend $3,000 in the first three months from opening the account
- United℠ Business Card – Earn 100,000 United Airlines miles after spending $10,000 in the first three months from account opening
- United Club℠ Infinite Card – Earn 100,000 bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first three months from account opening
- United Club Business Card – Earn 100,000 bonus miles after you spend $10,000 on purchases in the first three months account opening
These cards have great perks like free checked bags and free lounge passes or unlimited lounge access (with the club cards). Plus, if you have a United Airlines credit card you will have access to more available award seats. This perk alone is a good enough reason to keep one of these cards open year after year, if you don’t have United Airlines elite status (which has the same benefit).
You can also transfer Chase Ultimate Rewards points to United at a 1:1 ratio with these cards:
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card — Earn 60,000 Chase Ultimate Rewards after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first three months.
- Chase Sapphire Reserve® — Earn 50,000 Chase Ultimate Rewards after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first three months.
- Ink Business Preferred℠ Credit Card – Earn 80,000 Chase Ultimate Rewards after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first three months.
The information for the United Club Business card has been collected independently by Million Mile Secrets. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
United Airlines miles never expire, so you can freely earn miles and redeem the miles at anytime. You no longer have to worry about having qualifying activity every 18 months in order to keep your miles from expiring.
|For more miles and points news, deals and analysis sign-up for our newsletter here.|
Chase Sapphire Preferred® CardAPPLY NOW
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That’s $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash’s subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
Either $5 or 5% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater.
Editorial Note: We're the Million Mile Secrets team. And we're proud of our content, opinions and analysis, and of our reader's comments. These haven’t been reviewed, approved or endorsed by any of the airlines, hotels, or credit card issuers which we often write about. And that’s just how we like it! :)