Signing up for credit cards through partner links earns us a commission. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. Here’s our full Advertising Policy.
Update: One or more card offers in this post are no longer available. Check our Hot Deals for the latest offers.
Did you know you can get free mid-tier elite status with 3 hotel chains just by opening ONE new card?
When you’re approved for the AMEX Platinum personal card, Mercedes-Benz card or small business card, you can enroll for Starwood Gold elite status. And then match it to Marriott Gold elite status. You’ll also get free Hilton Gold elite status with any of these cards!
I just got my AMEX business Platinum , and I’ll show you how to get free hotel elite status!
About the AMEX Platinum Cards
Right now, there are different offers for each version of the AMEX Platinum Card.
1. The Platinum Card® from American Express
With The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll earn 40,000 Membership Rewards points after spending $3,000 within the first 3 months. The annual fee of $450 is not waived. Here’s my review with more details about the card.
2. The Platinum Card® from American Express Exclusively for Mercedes-Benz
The offer for the American Express® Mercedes-Benz Platinum is 50,000 American Express Membership Rewards points after you charge $3,000 in purchases in the first 3 months of card membership. The annual fee of $475 is not waived. Here’s my review of the card.
3. The Business Platinum Card® from American Express OPEN
And the best offer right now is for The Business Platinum Card® from American Express OPEN, if you can handle the tiered minimum spending requirements.
Through January 25, 2017, you’ll earn 50,000 AMEX Membership Rewards points after you spend $5,000 in the first 3 months of account opening. And an extra 50,000 AMEX Membership Rewards points after you spend an additional $10,000 on qualifying purchases within the same timeframe. The $450 annual fee is not waived.
How to Get Free Hotel Elite Status
Step 1. Enroll for Free Hilton & Starwood Gold Elite Status
To get started, log into your American Express account. Click the image of your AMEX Platinum Card, then “Benefits.”
Step 2. Enroll for Hilton Status
On the same screen, find the box that says “Hilton HHonors Gold Status” and click “Learn More.”
On the next screen, fill-in your Hilton loyalty number, then click “Enroll.” That’s it!
Step 3. Enroll for Starwood Status
Go back to the “Benefits” screen (Step 1) and look for “Starwood Preferred Guest Gold.” Click “Enroll Now.”
Enter your Starwood loyalty number, and click “Enroll.”
You should see both elite status updates in your account within a day or two.
Step 4. Match Starwood Status to Marriott
Simply click “Link Account” at the top of this page, and “SPG Members Start Here.” Then, sign-in to your Starwood account to process the instant match!
Now you have elite status with 3 hotel chains!
What Do You Get With Elite Status?
You’ll enjoy perks like upgrades when available, late checkout, bonus points, and sometimes free breakfast!
Let’s take a look at what each elite status gets you. Note these perks are for Gold elite status within each program, because that’s what you’ll end up with!
1. Hilton Gold Elite Status
Link: Hilton Gold Elite Status
- A space-available upgrade to the executive floor or the next best available room type
- Free continental breakfast
- 4:00 pm late checkout when available
- 25% bonus points on stays
- 5th night free on award stays
Million Mile Secrets team member Harlan often stays with Hilton and has enjoyed several very nice upgrades! And lounge access is always a nice perk when the hotel gives you a room on the Executive Floor.
2. Starwood Gold Elite Status
- 3X Starwood points per $1 spent on your stay at Starwood hotels (50% points bonus)
- 4:00 pm late checkout when it’s available
- Upgrade to enhanced rooms (higher floor, better view, etc.)
- Complimentary in-room premium internet when you book through the Starwood website or via their mobile app
- Welcome gift (choose 125 points for Aloft, Element, and Four Points hotels or 250 points at other Starwood hotels, or complimentary drink)
If you stay often with Starwood, this is an easy way to earn even more valuable Starwood points!
3. Marriott Gold Elite Status
- 25% bonus points on stays
- 4:00 pm guaranteed late check-out at most Marriott and Ritz-Carlton hotels
- Free breakfast and lounge access at participating executive lounges
- Room upgrades (if available)
- 10% discount at Marriott gift shops
This elite status carries over to Ritz-Carlton hotels, too. So you get a two-for-one deal with this status!
When you have the AMEX Platinum personal card, Mercedes-Benz card or small business card, you can get Gold elite status with 3 hotel chains for free. Easily enroll for Hilton Gold elite status and Starwood Gold elite status. Then match your Starwood status to Marriott Gold elite status (which also works at Ritz-Carlton hotels)!
Then you can enjoy perks including bonus points, upgrades when there’s room, and free breakfast and lounge access (depending on the hotel).