Signing up for credit cards through partner links earns us a commission. Here’s our full Advertising Policy.
Update: One or more card offers in this post are no longer available. Check our Hot Deals for the latest offers.
The US Bank Cash+ is a cash back card that let’s you choose your own 5% and 2% cash back categories! You can save 5% on your cell phone bills, department stores, certain restaurants, and more.
Most recently, you were only able to get this card at a local branch, but now you can apply online.
We don’t get a commission for this card, but Emily and I always tell you about the best deals!
Let’s see what you get with this card and how it compares to other cash back cards.
What’s the US Bank Cash+ Card?
Link: US Bank Cash+
With the US Bank Cash back card you can earn 5% cash back (on up to $2,000 in spending) on 2 categories of your choice and an unlimited 2% cash back in 1 category of your choice.
You choose your categories each quarter. If you don’t choose a category, you’ll earn 1% cash back on all spending for that quarter.
There is NO annual fee with this card, so you never have to cancel! This lengthens your credit history and contributes to raising your credit score.
You can choose any 2 of these 5% cash back categories. And here are a just a FEW examples in each:
- Bookstores – Barnes & Noble, Amazon Kindle Books, and some University Bookstores) Note: Some folks say they’ve received 5% back on many Amazon purchases besides books with this category.
- Car Rental – Avis, Budget, National Car Rental
- Cell Phone – AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon
- Charity – American Cancer Society, Kiva, The Salvation Army
- Department Stores – Bloomingdales, JCPenney, Nordstrom Rack
- Electronics Stores – Best Buy, Fry’s Electronics, TigerDirect
- Fast Food – Chipotle, Panera Bread, Starbucks, and Cold Stone Creamery!
- Furniture Stores – American Furniture, Ethan Allen, IKEA
- Gyms – 24 Hour Fitness, Gold’s Gym, LA Fitness
- Movie Theaters – AMC Theatres, Fandango.com, Regal Cinemas
- Select Clothing Stores – Ann Taylor, Eddie Bauer, Old Navy
- Sporting Good Stores – Big 5 Sporting Goods, REI, Sports Authority
I’ve listed a few stores that qualify for each category, but again, remember check the “Merchant Examples.”
You can earn 5% cash back in many of these same categories with other cards.
For instance, you can purchase gift cards to Amazon, movie theaters, Starbucks, etc., at office supply stores with your Chase Ink Plus, Chase Ink Bold (no longer available), Chase Ink Business Cash Credit Card, and AMEX Simply Cash card to get 5% back.
Or get 6% cash back when you buy gift cards at grocery stores with your Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express.
With the US Bank Cash+ card you can also earn 2% cash back at gas stations, grocery stores, or restaurants.
Other card benefits:
- 1% cash back on all other spending
- NO annual fee
I wouldn’t suggest using this card outside of the US because you’ll pay a 3% foreign transaction fee!
US Bank Cash+ Recent Changes
The US Bank Cash+ card has recently made some changes including:
- Restaurants are no longer a 5% cash back category (it’s a 2% cash back category). Although you can still choose 5% back for fast food.
- Select Clothing Stores is a new 5% cash back category
You currently get a $25 statement credit when you redeem at least $100 in rewards. This perk used to be available once per year. However, starting April 1, 2015, you will only be able to earn this bonus once per lifetime.
So if you sign-up for this card and redeem $100 in rewards before April 1, 2015, you can get this bonus twice.
- $25 bonus before April 1, 2015
- another $25 bonus after April 1, 2015
Should You Apply for This Card?
A big drawback to this card is there’s NO sign-up bonus. That’s the fastest way to earn lots of miles and points for travel!
Let’s look at how the US Bank Cash+ card stacks up against a few other cash back cards!
Note: There are many other cash back cards. These are just a few for comparison.)
Groceries & Gas
Cash Back in Places You’ll Actually Spend Money
The US Bank Cash+ card is 1 of the few cards that lets you choose your categories. So it’s a good option for folks who want flexibility.
But for even more flexibility, you can earn cash back on all spending with the
- Barclaycard Arrival Plus World Elite Mastercard (2.1% back when using your points for travel purchases)
- Citi Double Cash card (1% back when you purchase & 1% back when you pay)
- Discover It Miles card (effectively 3% back for the 1st year)
I prefer to use my Chase Freedom card because I earn miles and points. I could use the 5X Chase Ultimate Rewards points per $1 for 5% cash back. But because I have the Chase Sapphire Preferred card, I can (and do!) use those points for Big Travel by transferring to United Airlines and Hyatt.
That said, the US Bank Cash+ card has NO annual fee so this could be a good long-term card which will help build a relationship with US Bank, which issues 1 of my favorite hotel cards, the Club Carlson card.
Emily and I don’t earn a commission on this card, but we always tell you about the best deals!
Unfortunately, you will NOT get a sign-up bonus with this card. But you can earn 5% cash back on 2 categories of your choice and 2% cash back on 1 category of your choice.
I prefer to use my Chase Freedom card for rotating 5X category bonuses because I use the Chase Ultimate Rewards points (when I transfer to my Chase Sapphire card) for Big Travel with partner airline and hotels.
Do you plan on applying for the US Bank Cash+ card?