Signing up for credit cards through partner links earns us a commission. Here’s our full Advertising Policy.
INSIDER SECRET: You can find even better discounts with the American Airlines Economy Web Specials. But those discounts are unadvertised, so they’re harder to plan around.
If you have an eligible American Airlines credit card, like the CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Mastercard® or Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite™ Mastercard® you can book reduced mileage awards. You’ll get a discount of up to 7,500 American Airlines miles on round-trip flights over 500 miles each way and up to a 2,000-mile discount on round-trip flights of 500 miles or less each way.
This perk reduces the price of a round-trip flight that’s under 500 miles each way to only 13,000 miles and for round-trip flight that’s 500+ miles each way you’ll only pay 17,500 miles. These discounts are currently available to 175+ airports, including many smaller destinations. This list changes frequently, so sign-up for our newsletter to be notified when there are updates.
Here’s how you can find out if you’re eligible, how many miles you can save, and how you can book the flight.
What Are American Airlines Reduced Mileage Awards and Who Is Eligible?
Mileage discounts are available for coach, business class, and first class American Airlines flights. But you’ll need to have a certain American Airlines credit card to be eligible for them. And the mileage discount you get will also depend on how far you’ll be flying.
The discount varies depending on which card you have and the flight distance. American Airlines normally charges 12,500 miles for a one-way saver award flight that is 500+ miles and they charge 7,500 miles for a one-way saver award flight that is 500 miles or less.
Here are some examples of cards that will give you a 7,500-mile discount round-trip if your flight is 500+ miles per one-way nonstop segment. If you book a round-trip flight of 500 miles or less per one-way nonstop segment, you’ll receive only a 2,000-mile discount:
- Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite™ Mastercard®
- Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite™ Mastercard®
- CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Mastercard®
- Barclays AAdvantage® Aviator™ Business Mastercard
- Barclays AAdvantage® Aviator™ Red World Elite Mastercard
- Other cards are eligible for this discount but are no longer available for new applicants
If you don’t have any of the cards above, you can still receive a 5,000 mile discount with one of the cards below (but if your round-trip flight is 500 miles or less per one-way nonstop segment, you’ll receive only a 1,000-mile discount). Keep in mind that these cards don’t appear to be available to new applicants:
- Citi® / AAdvantage® Gold American Express®
- Citi® / AAdvantage® Gold Visa®
- Citi® / AAdvantage® Gold MasterCard®
- AAdvantage® Aviator® Blue MasterCard®
The discounts are also valid for one-way flights. You’ll just get half the mileage discount.
Which Cities Are Eligible for AA Reduced Mileage Awards?
Not all cities are available for reduced mileage awards. But lots are!
You can book the discounted awards as long as:
- You fly to any eligible airport on the list below
- Your originating airport is discounted on the list below
Basically, as long as either your origin or destination airports are on the list for the month you want to travel, you’ll get the discount. As long as there are available saver award seats, that is!
And while the American Airlines website doesn’t clearly state the discount is available to or from a city on the list, many Million Mile Secrets team members have been able to book discounted awards this way.
This is the current list of cities:
How to Book American Airlines Reduced Mileage Awards
So you have an eligible credit card and you’ve verified your flight destination is available for reduced mileage awards. Now we get to the more exciting part of actually booking the flight!
Once you’ve found available saver award seats on the American Airlines website, you’ll have to call American Airlines reservations at 800-882-8880. You can’t book reduced mileage award tickets online, so be sure to ask for any applicable phone booking fees to be waived.
You’ll then have to provide the agent with the correct discount code for your flight:
Flights Over 500 Miles
For flights within the US and more than 500 miles, the discount award codes are:
- 7,500 mile discount: UD21X2D / AVM05
- 5,000 mile discount: UD22X5D / AVM03
- 7,500 mile discount: UD28X7D / AVA67
- 5,000 mile discount: UD30D / AVA61
- 7,500 mile discount: TD8X7D / AVM04
- 5,000 mile discount: TD10D / AVM02
Flights 500 Miles or Less
For flights within the US 500 miles or less, the discount award codes are:
- 2,000 mile discount: UD14D / AVA72
- 1,000 mile discount: UD14X5D / AVA66
- 2,000 mile discount: TD6X5D / AVA71
- 1,000 mile discount: TD7D / AVA65
Note: If you are booking travel within 21 days of departure, you will have to pay a $75 fee. The fee is waived for certain American Airlines status members with AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro, Platinum, and Gold members, who are using miles from their account for award flights.
To learn more about American Airlines, check out these guides:
- American Airlines miles value
- Best use of AA miles
- How to earn AA miles
- American Airlines award chart
- Do American Airlines miles expire?
- How to use American Airlines miles
For the latest tips and tricks on traveling big without spending a fortune, please subscribe to the Million Mile Secrets daily email newsletter.