Signing up for credit cards through partner links earns us a commission. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. Here’s our full Advertising Policy.
Update: One or more card offers in this post are no longer available. Check our Hot Deals for the latest offers.
Update: You can no longer load Target Prepaid REDcard with debit cards or gift cards.
I’ll explain how to load your card and which gift cards work!
The New Way to Load Your Target REDcard
Here’s how it works:
1. Buy at gift card that has PIN capability with your credit card
2. Select a PIN (on some cards you can use the last 4 digits of the card!)
3. Visit your local Target and tell the cashier you’d like to load your Target Prepaid REDcard with a debit card
4. When prompted, slide your gift card and enter the PIN
You can add up to $2,500 per day and $5,000 per month. Keep in mind, these gift cards typically charge a ~$5 to ~$7 activation fee. So this method isn’t free.
Which Gift Cards Work?
You can use Metabank and US Bank gift cards you find in places like grocery stores, office supply stores, and Simon Malls.
Or Vanilla Visa gift cards.
But do NOT buy AMEX gift cards!
Earn Bonus Points Too!
You can also earn bonus points when you purchase your gift cards with credit cards like:
- Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express – 6% cash back at U.S. supermarkets on up to $6,000 per year in purchases (then 1%). Terms apply.
- AMEX SimplyCash – 5% cash back at US office supply stores. Terms apply.
This is a good way to earn miles and points by using the Target prepaid REDcard to pay bills (utilities, loans, rent, etc.) that can’t normally be paid with a credit card!
The Target Prepaid REDcard can NOT be loaded directly with a credit card any longer. This was a convenient and free way to meet minimum spending requirements.
But you can still add funds to this card with PIN-enabled gift cards. Buying gift cards with credit cards at grocery stores and office supply stores will help you meet minimum spending requirements.
Although you’ll pay fees per gift card, you’ll still come out ahead because of the sign-up or category bonuses.