Signing up for credit cards through partner links earns us a commission. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. Here’s our full Advertising Policy.
Update: One or more card offers in this post are no longer available. Check our Hot Deals for the latest offers.
EVERYONE needs an American Airlines loyalty account. American Airlines is the largest airline in the world, and an exceptionally useful tool for reaching Europe, the Caribbean, South America, and lots of other fun areas!
To make things even sweeter, American Airlines miles are pretty easy to collect. The American Airlines credit cards often come with large sign-up bonuses, so you can stockpile quickly for an upcoming vacation. The current offers are:
- Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite™ Mastercard® – 50,000 American Airlines miles after $2,500 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening
- CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Mastercard® – 60,000 American Airlines miles after making $3,000 in purchases in first 3 months of account opening
- American Airlines AAdvantage MileUp℠ Card – 10,000 American Airlines miles and receive a $50 statement credit after making $500 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening
- Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite™ Mastercard® – 50,000 American Airlines miles after spending $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening
Here’s a quick 4-step guide to opening an American Airlines account!
How to Setup a American Airlines Account
Opening a loyalty account is NOT like opening a credit card. They’re completely free, and there is no application. Anyone can have a loyalty account!
Step 1. Click “Join AAdvantage” on the American Airlines Website
Head to the American Airlines website. Within the “Log in” area of the page, you’ll see a link that says “Join AAdvantage” (AAdvantage is the name of the American Airlines loyalty program). Click that!
Step 2. Enter Your Personal Information
You’ll see a form with very basic questions about you. Enter your name, birth date, and gender.
Farther down the page you’ll need to give your address, email, and phone number.
You’ve also got the option to tell American Airlines your travel preferences, like home airport and whether you’re a window or aisle kind of person. You can even give them details to help them with flight alerts for you.
Step 3. Enter Security Details
You’ll need to create an account username, a password, and 3 security questions in case you forget your login credentials. And if you have TSA PreCheck or Global Entry (both save you an INSANE amount of time at the airport), you can enter your membership number under “Secure Traveler” at the bottom.
Step 4. Start Earning and Redeeming Points
That’s it! Just attach your AAdvantage member number to your American Airlines flights and you’ll earn valuable miles for your travel! And if you book directly through American Airlines, you won’t have to enter your loyalty number every time. The website will fill it in for you.
When you open an American Airlines credit card, it will ask for your loyalty number. Just enter the number that appears on your account dashboard, like the example below.
I’ve used American Airlines miles to fly to Peru, Barbados, Hawaii, Brazil, and lots more! They’re one of my favorite types of miles to collect. You won’t be sorry you set aside 5 minutes to enroll!
Here are our other articles to learn more about American Airlines miles:
- American Airlines Miles Review
- American Airlines Miles Value
- American Airlines Status
- Best Use of AA Miles
- How to Earn AA Miles
- How to Setup a American Airlines Account
- How to Use American Airlines Miles
- AA Award Chart
- Do American Airlines Miles Expire?
- American Airlines Economy Web specials
Take a look at our Airline Credit Card Offers page to see the best American Airlines credit cards for earning lots of miles. And subscribe to our newsletter for more helpful how-tos: