Signing up for credit cards through partner links earns us a commission. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. Here’s our full Advertising Policy.
Update: One or more card offers in this post are no longer available. Check our Hot Deals for the latest offers.
You’ll earn 50,000 American Airlines miles after your first purchase and payment of the $95 annual fee. That’s 10,000 miles higher than the previous offer!
We don’t earn a commission from this card, but we’re committed to sharing the best deals with y’all!
Here’s what you need to know about this card!
Barclaycard Aviator Red Increased Sign-Up Bonus
Link: Barclaycard Aviator Red
Barclaycard has increased the sign-up bonus for the Aviator Red card from 40,000 American Airlines miles to 50,000 miles after making your first purchase in the first 90 days of opening the account, and payment of the $95 annual fee.
You’ll also get benefits like:
- 2X American Airlines miles per $1 for purchases with American Airlines
- 1X American Airlines miles per $1 for all other purchases
- Group 1 boarding for the primary cardholder and up to 4 passengers on the same reservation on domestic itineraries operated by American Airlines
- 10% rebate when you redeem American Airlines miles (maximum rebate of 10,000 miles per year)
- First checked bag free for you and 4 passengers on the same reservation (domestic flights only)
This card also has NO foreign transaction fees, so it’s a good card to use internationally!
Note: Paying the annual fee does NOT count as your first purchase when earning the sign-up bonus.
Is This a Good Deal?
Six months ago, I would have said this was an excellent sign-up bonus! But lately, American Airlines saver-level award seats have been almost impossible to find to LOTS of destinations.
For example, saver level flights to the Caribbean on American Airlines cost 15,000 American Airlines miles (12,500 American Airlines miles from September 7 to November 14, and April 27 to May 20). That means you should get at least 3 one-ways to the Caribbean with this 50,000 points sign-up bonus (15,000 American Airlines per one-way X 3 one-ways = 45,000 American Airlines miles).
But with the current lack of saver-level American Airlines award seats, you won’t even have enough for 2 one-ways.
However, if you can find saver-level seats, you can get Big Travel with this sign-up bonus! It’s a great option for folks collecting American Airlines miles who can’t get Citi American Airlines credit card bonuses because of Citi’s restrictive new rules.
Just remember, Chase offers valuable travel rewards credit cards, like the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card and Chase Sapphire Reserve. And their application rules are much stricter than Barclaycard. If you’ve opened fewer than 5 cards from any bank in the past 24 months, it’s better to apply for Chase cards first!
Note: Barclaycard limits folks to ~2 new credit cards per year. And they issue other great travel credit cards, like the Barclaycard Arrival Plus World Elite Mastercard and the Barclaycard JetBlue Plus. So apply for the Barclaycard offers that are most important to you first!
More Ways to Earn American Airlines Miles!
There are plenty of other ways to earn American Airlines miles. For example, you can sign-up for:
- Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite™ Mastercard® – Current sign-up bonus of 60,000 American Airlines miles after spending $3,000 in the first three months.
- CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Mastercard® – Current sign-up bonus of 70,000 American Airlines miles after spending $4,000 in the first four months.
- Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite™ Mastercard® – Current sign-up bonus of 50,000 American Airlines miles after spending $5,000 in the first three months.
The information for the Citi AAdvantage Platinum and CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum card has been collected independently by Million Mile Secrets. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
You can also transfer Starwood points to American Airlines. You’ll get a bonus 5,000 miles for every 20,000 point increment you transfer.
The Barclaycard Aviator Red has an increased 50,000 mile sign-up bonus after making your first purchase and paying the annual fee within 90 days of opening your account. That’s 10,000 miles higher than the previous offer!
If you can find saver-level American Airlines seats, you’ll do well with this sign-up bonus.
Emily and I don’t get a commission for this card, but we’ll always tell you about the best deals!