Disclosure: We get a commission for links on the blog. You don’t have to use our links, but we’re very grateful when you do. American Express, Barclaycard, Chase, and US Bank are Million Mile Secrets advertising partners. Opinions expressed here are the author's alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or endorsed by our partners. Here’s our Advertiser Disclosure.
Folks with upcoming rental car plans can save money from this promotion. Because you’ll earn 1 free car rental day for every 2 rentals of two days or longer in the US through January 31, 2017. But first, you have to register.
There are other opportunities to earn points for free rentals, like referring a friend. Or renting a car through the mobile app.
I’ll explain more about the offer!
What’s the Deal?
You can earn 1 free car rental day for every 2 paid car rentals. To qualify, you’ll need to:
- Register for the promotion
- Rent a midsize or larger vehicle in the US for 2 or more consecutive days
You’ll earn 600 National points, which is enough for a free rental day, for all eligible paid rentals through January 31, 2017.
Then, use the free rental days by June 15, 2017.
I think this is a really great deal! Because it’s rare to find rental car promotions this simple.
Note: It can take up to 5 days to receive points for your car rental. Once the 600 points post to your account, a coupon will automatically appear on your “My Activity” page within 48 hours.
Make the Most of the Promotion
If you rent cars a lot, you might consider paying for your rentals during the promotional period. Then, use the free car rental days after the deal ends. This way, you’ll earn the maximum number of free days during the offer period!
You can also benefit from this promotion if you live in an area where rental cars are cheap. Because you’ll earn credit for this deal even if your car rental is inexpensive. Then, use the free car rental days during a vacation to a more expensive area.
Keep in mind you can only use a maximum of 3 free car rental day coupons per rental period of 3 or more consecutive days.
Earn Additional Points
National has other ways to earn additional points. You can earn:
- 25 points for downloading the National Car Rental app
- 75 points for reserving a car through the app after you complete the rental
- 100 points for weekend rentals of 2 to 4 days with a Saturday night included
- 300 points for referring a friend who enrolls in Emerald Club and completes a qualifying rental
- 300 points for renting a car at participating Enterprise locations in Europe
- 300 points for adding Sirius XM radio on rentals in the US
Not all of these bonus opportunities are available for everyone. You might only see 1 or 2 when you log-in to your account.
The 300 points for a referral is a terrific bonus. Because you’ll be halfway to earning a free rental day!
Note: You can only earn points through 1 promotion on a single rental. For example, you can NOT combine points from the One Two Free promotion and the weekend rental bonus.
Check the Prices
Link: My Review of AutoSlash
Always be sure to check car rental prices to make sure you’re getting the best deal!
I recommend using AutoSlash. It’s a free service which tracks your car rental reservations for price drops, and re-books you if the price goes down.
You can also book rentals directly through AutoSlash, and they’ll track them automatically.
Pay With a Credit Card That Offers a Car Rental or Travel Bonus Category
You can earn extra points when you rent a car from National with these cards:
- Chase Sapphire Reserve (3X Chase Ultimate Rewards points)
- Citi ThankYou Premier (3X Citi ThankYou points)
- Chase Sapphire Preferred (2X Chase Ultimate Rewards points)
- Barclaycard Arrival Plus (2.1% back as a statement credit)
Or use one of these cards with primary rental car insurance!
You can earn 1 free car rental day after 2 paid National car rentals within the US by January 31, 2017. The 2 car rentals must each be 2 consecutive days or longer in a midsize or larger vehicle.
Free car rental coupons can be redeemed through June 15, 2017.
This is a great deal for folks with lots of upcoming car rentals. Or if you’re able to book inexpensive car rentals. Then you can use the free car rental day in a more expensive location.
Be sure to use AutoSlash to make sure you get the best price for your rental!
* If you liked this post, why don’t you join the 20,000+ readers who have signed-up to receive free blog posts via email (only 1 email per day!) or in an RSS reader …because then you’ll never miss another update!