Signing up for credit cards through partner links earns us a commission. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. Here’s our full Advertising Policy.
Sometimes you’ve got to roll with the punches. Or in the miles in points world, roll with the drastic credit card changes.
Last year, Marriott nuked their old credit cards and reshaped their benefits. Rising from the ashes are cards like the Marriott Bonvoy Business™ American Express® Card. You might be wondering if this revamped card is worth the annual fee (see rates and fees).
Here’s why the Marriott Bonvoy Business American Express Card is worth it for many wanderlusters.
Is the Marriott Bonvoy Business worth it for you?
The Marriott Bonvoy Business Card comes with a 75,000 point welcome bonus after you spend $3,000 on purchases within the first three months of account opening.
The card continues to hold these benefits:
- 6 Marriott points per dollar spent on eligible Marriott purchases
- 4 Marriott points per dollar spent at U.S. gas stations, at U.S. restaurants, on wireless telephone services purchased directly from U.S. service providers and on U.S. purchases for shipping
- 2 Marriott points per dollar spent on all other purchases
- Free Silver elite status
- Free employee cards (See rates and fees)
- Free Boingo Wi-Fi
- Gold status after making $35,000 in purchases with the card in a calendar year
- Free award night each cardmember anniversary valid at locations costing up to 35,000 points
- 15 elite night credits every year
- Terms Apply
The card has a $125 annual fee (See rates and fees).
With this card, you can now earn a second free night award (for hotels costing up to 35,000 points) after spending $60,000 with the card in a calendar year. A free night award alone can easily be worth more than the annual fee. Here are some examples of out of pocket standard room rates for Category 5 hotels:
- Renaissance Chicago Downtown Hotel ~$350
- Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Times Square ~$320
- Bohemian Hotel Celebration, Autograph Collection near Disney World ~$225
As long as you can get more value with the free annual night than annual fee, this card is a no-brainer. Especially if you’re using your free night at a property comparable to the places listed above. I’ve got my eye on the Renaissance Chicago Downtown for August!
Plus, the welcome bonus itself is worth the annual fee many times over. And for stays using points, you can book your stay up to 50 weeks in advance using Marriott’s Points Advance. This is especially helpful if you want to book your stay before you meet your minimum spend and receive the 75,000-point welcome bonus.
Just note that you can’t lock in prices with Points Advance — you’re only guaranteeing
You aren’t eligible for this card’s bonus if you have or have had these cards in the past 30 days:
- Marriott Bonvoy Premier Plus Business Card
- Chase Marriott Bonvoy Business Card
You also aren’t eligible for the intro bonus if you’ve had any of the following cards in the past 90 days or have earned a welcome bonus or upgrade bonus with from any of these cards in the past 24 months:
- Marriott Bonvoy Boundless™ Credit Card
- Chase Marriott Rewards® Premier Plus Credit Card
- Marriott Bonvoy Premier Card
- Starwood Preferred Guest Business Credit Card from American Express (lifetime)
If you’re interested in the Marriott Bonvoy Business Card from American Express, you’ll earn 75,000 point welcome bonus after meeting minimum spending.
You can easily offset the annual fee each year just by using the free night award. And if you can spend $60,000 with the card in a calendar year, you’ve got even more reason to keep the card in your wallet because you can earn ANOTHER free night award.
What are some reasons you’re keeping this card in your wallet?
For rates and fees of the Marriott Bonvoy Business™ American Express® Card, please click here.