Signing-up for credit cards through partner links earns us a commission. Here’s our full Advertising Policy.
Sometimes you’ve got to roll with the punches. Or in the miles in points world, roll with the drastic credit card changes.
Marriott recently nuked their old credit cards and reshaped their benefits. Rising from the ashes is the Marriott Bonvoy Business™ American Express® Card (formerly the Starwood Preferred Guest® Business Credit Card from American Express).
Here are some of the card changes and why the Marriott Bonvoy Business American Express Card is still worth it for many.
Is the Marriott Bonvoy Business Card Worth It for You?
Apply Here: Marriott Bonvoy Business™ American Express® Card
For a limited time, the Marriott Bonvoy Business Card comes with a 100,000-point welcome bonus after you spend $5,000 on purchases within the first 3 months of account opening. This offer ends April 24, 2019.
The card continues to hold these benefits:
- 6 Marriott points per $1 spent on eligible Marriott purchases
- 4 Marriott points per $1 spent at US gas stations, at US restaurants, on wireless telephone services purchased directly from US service providers and on US purchases for shipping
- 2 Marriott points per $1 spent on all other purchases
- Free Silver elite status
- Free employee cards (see Rates & Fees)
- Free Boingo Wi-Fi
- Gold status after making $35,000 in purchases with the card in a calendar year
- Free award night each cardmember anniversary valid at locations costing up to 35,000 points
- 15 elite night credits every year
- Terms Apply
The card has a $95 annual fee that is waived the first year (see Rates & Fees).
New Benefits and Changes
Starting March 28, 2019, there are changes coming to the card.
First, you’ll be able to earn a second free night award (for hotels costing up to 35,000 points) after spending $60,000 with the card in a calendar year. At that same time, the annual fee will be going up to $125.
So if you’re interested in this card, it’s better to apply for it before March 28, 2019. You’ll lock in year 1 at $0 annual fee and year 2 at a $95 annual fee! Applying for the card after March 28, 2019, means you’ll have to pay the $125 annual fee in your first billing statement.
So you can potentially save $125 in annual fees for the first year and $30 for the second year by applying by March 28, 2019.
You aren’t eligible for this card’s bonus if you have or have had these cards in the past 30 days:
- Marriott Bonvoy Premier Plus Business Card
- Chase Marriott Bonvoy Business Card
You also aren’t eligible for the intro bonus if you’ve had any of the following cards in the past 90 days or have earned a welcome bonus or upgrade bonus with from any of these cards in the past 24 months:
- Marriott Bonvoy Boundless Credit Card
- Chase Marriott Rewards® Premier Plus Credit Card
- Marriott Bonvoy Premier Card
- Starwood Preferred Guest Business Credit Card from American Express (lifetime)
Is the Marriott Bonvoy Business Card Worth the Annual Fee?
Yes! The free night award alone is worth more than the increased annual fee.
Here are some examples of out of pocket standard room rates for Category 5 hotels:
- Renaissance Chicago Downtown Hotel ~$350
- Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Times Square ~$320
- Bohemian Hotel Celebration, Autograph Collection near Disney World ~$225
As long as you can get more value with the free annual night than annual fee, this card is a no-brainer. Especially if you’re using your free night at some of the places listed above! I’ve got my eye on the Renaissance Chicago Downtown for August!
And for stays using points, you can book your stay up to 50 weeks in advance using Marriott’s Points Advance. This is especially helpful if you want to book your stay before you meet your minimum spend and receive the 100,000-point welcome bonus.
If you’re interested in the Marriott Bonvoy Business Card from American Express, it’s better to apply for it before March 28, 2019. You’ll lock in the 100,000-point welcome bonus after meeting minimum spending, get a waived annual fee for the first year, and a lower annual fee the second year!
You can easily offset the second year annual fee of the Marriott Bonvoy Business Card from American Express just by using the free night award.
Additionally, the current benefits and ability to earn an additional free night after spending $60,000 with the card in a calendar year are even more reason to keep the card in your wallet!
What are some reasons you’re keeping this card in your wallet?
For rates and fees of the Marriott Bonvoy Business™ American Express® Card, please click here.