We devote thousands of hours of research to help you get Big Travel with Small Money. You support us by signing-up for credit cards through partner links which earn us a commission. Here’s our full Advertising Policy.
You can fly to lots of destinations in the US, Caribbean, and Mexico starting at just $39 one-way in coach. I found a one-way flight on JetBlue from New York (JFK) to Washington, DC, for $69 on September 6, 2017.
Here are the details. And how to search for deals from your city!
JetBlue and Southwest Fall Sale
Link: JetBlue Sale
Link: Southwest Sale
1. JetBlue Fare Sale
The JetBlue sale is on today and tomorrow only! So you’ll have to book soon if you want the best deals. Here are the details:
- You must book by August 2, 2017 (the earlier of 11:59 pm Eastern Time or local time)
- Your travel must be between September 6, 2017, and November 8, 2017
- Blackout dates are from September 20, 2017, to September 24, 2017, and October 9, 2017, to October 12, 2017
Some routes might have different or additional day of week restrictions and blackout dates. You’ll have to click on the fare you want to see the full restrictions.
Remember, the cost of a JetBlue award flight is tied to the price of the ticket. So when there’s a fare sale, you’ll pay fewer points! And JetBlue points are usually worth ~1.4 cents each (though you’ll have to pay taxes & fees for an award flight).
Folks with the JetBlue Plus Card from Barclaycard or JetBlue Business Card from Barclaycard get a free first checked bag for the cardholder and up to 3 companions on the same reservation when you use your card to pay for your ticket.
Keep in mind you have 24 hours to cancel a reservation if the flight is at least 7 days away. So, you can take advantage of these extremely cheap fares and finalize plans later.
2. Southwest Fare Sale
Southwest’s fare sale ends on August 3, 2017 (in 3 days!). But the best fares go quickly, so you’ll want to book as soon as possible! Here are the details:
- You must purchase your travel at least 21 days in advance
- Continental US travel is valid from August 22, 2017, through February 14, 2018
- Travel dates may vary for cities outside the contiguous US
- Domestic travel is blacked out on September 1, September 4, November 21 to 22, November 25 to 27, December 21 to 23, December 26 to 27, December 30 to 31, 2017, and January 1 to 2, 2018
- Domestic travel is valid only on Tuesdays and Wednesdays
There are additional restrictions, so take a look at the Terms & Conditions. And make sure to read this post on 8 important things about flying Southwest. And 5 tips on how to tell a Southwest sale is worthwhile!
And like JetBlue, the number of Southwest points you pay is tied to the price of the ticket. So when Southwest has a sale, you’ll pay fewer points for an award seat! You can usually get a value of ~1.25 to ~1.43 cents per Southwest point.
Note: If you’ve already booked a Southwest flight, but see a lower price with this sale, you can cancel your booking for free and re-book with this sale price!
In addition to the savings, there are lots of other benefits to flying Southwest including:
- Cancel Without Penalty – You can always book now and cancel later. On award flights the points and taxes will be refunded. And if you book a paid flight, as long as you cancel within 10 minutes before your flight, you’ll get a credit towards another Southwest flight (good for 1 year)
- Change Without Fees – If your plans change, you can make adjustments to your flight for free. However, if your new flight costs more, you’ll have to pay the difference.
- 2 Checked Bags for Free – Every passenger gets 2 free checked bags. This saves you ~$25 per bag.
- Bring Someone Along for the Ride for Free – With the Southwest Companion Pass, a friend or family member flies with you for free for up to 2 years! You can earn the Companion Pass in 8 easy steps!
JetBlue and Southwest just release their fall sale fares. But the JetBlue sale is only good through tomorrow, August 2, 2017. And the Southwest sale ends August 3, 2017. So book now before it’s too late!
With these discounted fares, you can fly to spots within the US, like Chicago, New York, Seattle, and more, from just $39 one-way. And to tropical destinations like Saint Croix, Havana, Cuba, and Turks and Caicos for less, too!
Let me in the comments if you decide book any of these cheap flights!