You’ll now get a $100 airline incidental fee credit each calendar year. And from today, you’ll no longer pay foreign transaction fees.
However, folks will now pay an increased annual fee of $195 (up from $175). The annual fee is still waived for the 1st year.
And you’ll still get 3X American Express Membership Rewards points on flights purchased directly from airlines, and 2X American Express Membership Rewards points for spending at US gas stations and US supermarkets.
What’s the Deal?
The Premier Rewards Gold Card from American Express has added US restaurants as a bonus category, introduced a $100 airline incidental fee credit, and eliminated foreign transaction fees!
Starting today, you’ll get:
- 3 points per $1 you spend on airfare purchased directly from airlines
- 2 points per $1 you spend at US gas stations, US supermarkets, and US restaurants
- 1 point per $1 you spend on everything else
- $100 per calendar year in airline incidental fee credits (baggage fees, change fees, etc.)
- NO foreign transaction fees
- Transfer points to participating frequent traveler programs
- $0 Intro Annual Fee for the first year, then $195
- Terms and limitations apply
Note: Check your American Express account for a possible higher welcome bonus targeted to you! My link is currently for a welcome bonus of 25,000 American Express Membership Rewards points. But I want you get to the most points you can, even if I don’t earn a commission!
I don’t like that the annual fee has increased by $20 per year, but it’s more than offset by the new $100 airline incidental fee credit.
I’ll still use my Chase Sapphire Preferred card for dining, because it earns 2X Chase Ultimate Rewards points at restaurants at home and overseas. And I like transferring points earned with the card to partners United Airlines, Southwest, and Hyatt.
But for folks who spend a lot at US gas stations, US restaurants, and US supermarkets, the Premier Rewards Gold Card from American Express is a very good deal!
Here are airlines and hotels where you can send the American Express Membership Rewards points you earn with the Premier Rewards Gold Card from American Express:
American Express Membership Rewards Airline Transfer Partners AeroMexico Air Canada Alitalia
ANA Asia Miles British Airways
Delta El Al Emirates
Etihad Flying Blue (Air France / KLM) Hawaiian Airlines
Iberia JetBlue Singapore Airlines
Virgin Atlantic American Express Membership Rewards Hotel Transfer Partners Choice Hilton Starwood
Remember, there are many cards that earn points or cash back at restaurants!
Don’t Forget the Extra AMEX Discounts!
American Express cardholders, including folks with the Premier Rewards Gold Card from American Express, can save money and get some great deals!
Remember, you’ll qualify for:
- AMEX Offers – Having another AMEX card means you could be targeted for more AMEX Offers. Remember, you can get the same offer on multiple cards!
- ShopRunner – AMEX cardholders get free membership in ShopRunner. You’ll save money with free shipping from dozens of online merchants.
- Small Business Saturday – If Small Business Saturday returns this year, having another AMEX card will get you more discounts!
The changes to the Premier Rewards Gold Card from American Express start today, June 1, 2015!
You’ll now earn 2X American Express Membership Rewards points per $1 you spend at US restaurants. They’ve removed the foreign transaction fees, and added a yearly $100 airline incidental fee credit.
The annual fee, which is still waived for the 1st year, has gone up by $20 to $195. But you’ll more than make up for it with the airline fee credit.
And you’ll still earn bonus points for airfare (purchased directly from airlines) and at US gas stations and US supermarkets.
Will you start using your Premier Rewards Gold Card from American Express at restaurants more often because of the changes?