Signing up for credit cards through partner links earns us a commission. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. Here’s our full Advertising Policy.
Jason: As of June 1, 2018, Chase will be replacing the United MileagePlus® Explorer Card with a similarly named card, the United Explorer Card. I love Chase for the travel rewards cards, not their creativity in naming them. 😉
If you currently have the card or get it before June 1, 2018, you will be automatically switched over the new card on that date.
The new version will be adding these perks:
- 2 United Airlines miles per $1 spent on dining and hotels (it will continue to earn 2X United Airlines miles on United Airlines purchases)
- Global Entry or TSA PreCheck credit (up to $100)
- 25% off in-flight United Airlines purchases (Wi-Fi, drinks, food, etc.)
With these updates the card will also be losing the following benefits:
- 10,000 United Airlines mile bonus after spending $25,000
- Trip cancellation coverage will be reduced (not sure exactly what this will look like yet)
- Price protection & return protection
The other benefits for the cards will remain the same. So you’ll still get priority boarding, free checked bags (when paying with the card), 2 free United Club passes annually, and increased award availability.
I’m looking forward to getting this card later this year because the United Airlines Silver Status I have from being a Starwood Platinum will be expiring. And I don’t want to lose access to those extra award seats!
Personally I’m excited about these changes because I’ve been wanting to get Global Entry and that credit will more than make up for the $95 annual fee! The extra 2X bonus categories (dining & hotels) are nice. But if you have the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card or Chase Sapphire Reserve, you’re better off using those cards for the same purchases. Because you’ll between 2X and 3X (excluding the $300 travel credit on the Sapphire Reserve) Chase Ultimate Rewards points, and be able to transfer those points to United Airlines or any other Chase travel partner at a 1:1 ratio.