Citi Increases Price Protection to $2,500, Improves Trip & Baggage Delay Coverage!
Signing up for credit cards through partner links earns us a commission. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. Here’s our full advertising policy: How we make money.Update: One or more card offers in this post are no longer available. Check our Hot Deals for the latest offers. Citi is an MMS advertising partner.
Starting May 15, 2016, you’ll get improved trip cancellation insurance, baggage delay protection, car rental insurance, and more when you use Citi’s credit cards.
And Citi is more than doubling the yearly price protection coverage with its Citi Price Rewind program.
These benefits come with Citi credit cards at no additional cost! I’ll explain what’s changing!
Travel Benefits for You and Covered Travelers, Even If You Pay With Points
Link: New Citi Protection Benefits Guide
The updated Citi credit card protection benefits will apply to purchases made with your Citi card and/or ThankYou Points on or after May 15, 2016.
One of the biggest changes is that trip protection benefits apply to all covered travelers, which includes:
- Your family members, including:
- Domestic partner and their children
- Adopted children and step-children
- Legal guardians
- Siblings or siblings-in-law
- Son-in-law or daughter-in-law
- Parents or parents-in-law
- Grandparents or grandchildren
- Aunts or uncles
- Nieces or nephews
- All traveling companions for whom you have paid to travel on your trip
You will have to pay for your covered travelers trip with your Citi card in order for them to be eligible for coverage.
Previously, coverage was limited to you and authorized users, your spouse or domestic partner, and dependent children.
Here is a summary of the most important protection benefits and coverage.
- Trip Cancellation & Interruption – Coverage for up to $5,000 per covered traveler if your trip is cancelled for an eligible reason
- Trip Delays – Get up to $500 per covered traveler when your trip is delayed for more than 12 hours
- Baggage Delay – Get up to $100 per covered traveler if your checked baggage doesn’t get to your destination within 6 hours of your arrival
- Lost Luggage – Luggage or items inside are lost or damaged for up to $3,000 per covered traveler ($2,000 per bag for New York residents)
- Car Rental – Coverage up to $100,000 toward a covered accident or theft
Most benefits now apply as long as you use your card or Citi ThankYou points to pay for all or part of your trip. Car rental coverage requires you to pay the entire cost with your card or points.
If you pay for only part of your trip with a card or ThankYou points, you’ll only be covered up to the amount paid for (not the maximums as stated above).
Trip cancellation, baggage and trip delay, and lost luggage coverage is secondary if you have other insurances for your trip. Car rental coverage in the US is always secondary when you use your Citi card. Secondary coverage will cover only unreimbursed amounts that another source does not.
Real-Life Travel Examples
You will be eligible to receive a refund of your Citi ThankYou points you used to purchase this flight.
2. You cancel your trip after you transferred Citi ThankYou points to Singapore Airlines to book a round-trip coach flight to Hawaii and used your Citi card to pay ~$11 in taxes and fees.
I called Citi benefits specialists to ask about this situation but have not yet received a definitive answer. Initially, they said because you used your Citi card and Citi ThankYou points, you’d receive a refund of your ThankYou points and ~$11 in taxes and fees.
However, the Terms & Conditions do NOT explicitly address ThankYou points transfers to airline partners.
I’ll provide an update once I hear back from Citi in writing!
Citi Price Rewind
Link: Citi Price Rewind
Did you know you can get money back if you buy an item with your Citi credit card and the price later drops?
Citi is increasing the maximum refund to $500 per item and $2,500 per calendar year, up from $300 per item and $1,200 per calendar year.
Additional Purchase Protection Benefits
In addition to the travel benefits, Citi credit cards also offer protection for everyday shopping to cover your purchases when things go wrong.
Here are some of the benefits and changes taking place on May 15, 2016:
- Extended Warranty – Up to 24 months (previously 12 months) beyond the manufacturer’s warranty for certain items
- 90 Day Return Protection – Within 90 days (previously 60 days) of purchase, receive up to $500 per item and $2,500 per year if you try to return a like-new item and the merchant won’t take it back
- Damage & Theft Protection – Coverage up to $10,000 per item if it is damaged or stolen within 120 days (90 days for New York residents) of purchase (restrictions apply)
Citi Versus Chase Sapphire Preferred
Here’s a quick comparison of the coverage you get when using your Citi and Chase Sapphire Preferred cards.[table id=230 responsive=scroll responsive_breakpoint=phone /]
Make sure you read the terms carefully, so you know what is and isn’t covered on your card.
Which Card Should You Use?
If you are purchasing a big ticket item, you might want to use your Citi card because you’re covered up to $10,000 if the item is damaged or stolen within 120 days of purchase. If you pay with the Chase Sapphire Preferred, you’d only be reimbursed for up to $500. And this might not cover your costs.
When it comes to booking travel, it will depend on how many people you are paying for. For example, if you are traveling with one other person, you might want to use your Chase Sapphire Preferred, because you’re covered up to $10,000 per person (maximum $20,000 per trip) for trip cancellations or interruptions.
If you pay with your Citi card, you’re covered up to $5,000 per person with no trip maximum.
Effective May 15, 2016, Citi card benefits will improve for travelers and shoppers including:
- More folks included in travel coverage
- Improved trip delay, interruption, and cancellation benefits
- Increased purchase protection and longer warranty
- Higher Citi Price Rewind Limits
The Chase Sapphire Preferred provides similar coverage. The best card to use depends on your purchase, where you’re renting a car, and how many folks are traveling with you.
Have you filed a claim with Chase Sapphire Preferred or Citi? I’d love to hear about your experience!
Editorial Note: We're the Million Mile Secrets team. And we're proud of our content, opinions and analysis, and of our reader's comments. These haven’t been reviewed, approved or endorsed by any of the airlines, hotels, or credit card issuers which we often write about. And that’s just how we like it! :)