Signing up for credit cards through partner links earns us a commission. Here’s our full Advertising Policy.
Here’s some pretty exciting news – Lyft is about to launch a loyalty program. This feels like a bit of a bonus, a freebie. This news comes on the heels of the announcement that Synchrony will soon be issuing a Lyft co-branded credit card. But I don’t expect it to be a better option for Lyft rides than most of the best travel rewards cards.
I use Lyft all of the time, and now they’re going to start rewarding me for it? Just the idea of it makes me feel more loyal to the company.
The concept isn’t completely out of nowhere – we already accumulate awards from almost every other form of travel. From airline miles to hotel points, we’re really familiar with loyalty programs – that’s why we’re here! So it makes sense that Lyft would offer a program like this to develop loyalty with their customers.
Here’s What We Know So Far About the Lyft Rewards Program
Although there aren’t specific details yet, we know a few things about the Lyft Rewards program.
- Lyft is launching a beta version of this program in December 2018 in select cities. The program should be available for everyone sometime in early 2019.
- You’ll earn a certain number of points for the cost of the trip (not the number of miles traveled). At this point, we’re not sure how many points you’ll get per dollar spent.
- As you accumulate points, you’ll be able to redeem them for Lyft upgrades and free rides.
I’m going to keep an eye on this deal, because it’s always so satisfying to accumulate rewards points through a service that you use frequently anyway. Keep your fingers crossed that your city is one of the first to see this rewards program. If your city is in the first round, you’ll receive an email inviting you to participate – so look for that email in December!
How You Can Save on Lyft Now
The rewards program will be great, but it’s not available quite yet. Here are some ways that you can save on Lyft rides right now.
- Lyft and Delta have linked up to offer all Lyft passengers the opportunity to earn Delta miles every time they use the ride-sharing company. Every dollar you spend with Lyft translates to one mile with Delta. It’s really easy to sign up for this. You’ll just link your Delta SkyMiles award account to start accumulating points. I just signed up now and it took less than a minute. And right now Delta is running a promotion with their partners where you can earn up to 2,500 bonus miles!
- Download the Ebates app and you’ll get $20 off your first ride with Lyft! This offer is only available for those who have never used Lyft before. You’ll need to take a ride within 2 weeks of downloading this app in order to take advantage of the offer.
- But what if you’re already frequently using Lyft? You can still benefit from booking Lyft rides through Ebates. You’ll get $1 cash back on every single ride you take. This could really add up quickly! Free money, I’m a big fan of that.
Lyft is just one of the many companies where you can find discounts on travel. As we head into the holiday season make sure you’re aware of all of the different ways you can save money and earn cash back when shopping and traveling. We’ve put together a solid list of suggestions to help guide you!
Are you more loyal to a company that offers a rewards program? Would you opt to hire a Lyft driver over an Uber driver in order to build up your rewards points? I know I sure would! Let me know your thoughts in the comments section below!