Signing up for credit cards through partner links earns us a commission. Here’s our full Advertising Policy.
Update: One or more card offers in this post are no longer available. Check our Hot Deals for the latest offers.
Here’s an amazing opportunity for folks who don’t mind a little inconvenience!
Via Frequent Flyer Bonuses, you can earn 5,000 SAS (Scandinavian Airlines) points per Hertz car rental. And there doesn’t seem to be a cap on the amount of times you can earn this bonus!
You must reserve your car by June 30, 2017, and rent by September 30, 2017.
I’ll tell you what you need to know about this deal!
Earn 5,000 SAS Miles per Hertz Car Rental
Hertz and SAS have teamed up to give us a really great points earning opportunity! For each Hertz rental you reserve, you’ll earn 5,000 SAS points!
Here are the details:
- You must book on this page by June 30, 2017, and you must rent by September 30, 2017
- You must rent for at least 1 full day
- You must use the discount code “736686“, and promotion code “203592“
- You must give your SAS EuroBonus frequent flyer number (free to join!) at time of booking and show your card when you pick-up your vehicle
- You will receive your bonus points no sooner than October 5, 2017. So you can NOT use this deal to earn points for a trip in the near future
- You will NOT earn Hertz points if you elect to earn SAS points
And some folks report that you can make multiple rentals for consecutive days. So when you drop off one rental, you can pick up the next!
Note: Though there is a clear end date, Hertz can remove this promotion whenever they want. So it’s best to book soon before Hertz changes their mind!
What Can You Do With SAS Miles?
Link: SAS Award Chart
Link: SAS Award Rules
You might not think SAS miles are very useful, but you can actually get terrific value from them!
1. Award Flights on SAS
When you fly on SAS airplanes, you’ll get great deals on award flights. For example, you can fly:
- Between Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Norway, and Sweden – 10,000 SAS miles round-trip
- Intra-Europe coach Flights – 50,000 SAS miles round-trip
- US to Europe in SAS coach – 60,000 SAS miles round-trip
- US to Europe in SAS Business Class – 100,000 SAS miles round-trip
Note: SAS flies to Boston, Chicago, Miami, Los Angeles, New York, Washington, DC, and San Francisco
We frequently see deals from the US to Copenhagen and Oslo. So these miles could be useful for taking your vacation beyond those locations, to other areas of Europe! Although you can also usually find pretty cheap airfare when hopping around Europe.
And kids under 12 years old only pay 50% of these prices! So this could be an amazing opportunity to earn enough points for a family vacation!
Note: The award chart prices are for round-trip tickets. But you can book a one-way ticket for 60% of the round-trip price.
2. Award Flights on SAS Partner Airlines
SAS is a member of Star Alliance. So you can use your SAS points on partner airlines, like Air Canada, Singapore Airlines, and United Airlines.
You’ll be charged a higher award rate, but it’s still very reasonable! For example, you can fly from the US to the Middle East in Business Class for just 120,000 SAS miles round-trip. That’s:
- 20,000 miles less than American Airlines charges (140,000 American Airlines miles)
- 20,000 miles less than Alaska Airlines charges (140,000 Alaska Airlines miles)
- 40,000 miles less than United Airlines charges (160,000 United Airlines miles)
Read these additional award chart rules so you know what to expect!
Note: You’ll pay 60% of the round-trip price for a one-way ticket. But the child discount does NOT apply to partner award flight bookings.
Is This Promotion Worth It?
This could be an incredible promotion, depending on the price of Hertz rentals around you.
I found a local Hertz branch selling cars for ~$23 per day. If I made 20 reservations at this price, I’d have spent ~$460 and received 100,000 SAS points (5,000 X 20). That’s enough for a round-trip Business Class flight on SAS from the US to Norway!
The price of a round-trip Business Class ticket to Norway could be $3,000+, depending on where you’re flying from. So this promotion can save you BIG.
Note: Make sure to use a credit card that gives you primary coverage on rental cars, like the Chase Sapphire Preferred, Chase Sapphire Reserve, or Chase United Explorer Card.
SAS is giving folks 5,000 SAS points per Hertz car rental. And there doesn’t appear to be a cap on how many points you can earn! So if you find a cheap car rental, you can rent it multiple times to earn lots of SAS points.
You can do plenty of fun things with SAS points, like:
- Fly round-trip within the US in coach on Star Alliance partners like United Airlines – 25,000 SAS points
- Fly round-trip to Dubai in coach – 80,000 SAS points
- Fly round-trip to Oslo in Business Class – 100,000 SAS points
You must reserve your Hertz rental by June 30, 2017, and rent by September 30, 2017. But Hertz can pull this promotion any time they want, so book sooner rather than later!
Will you take advantage of this promotion from SAS and Hertz?