Signing-up for credit cards through partner links earns us a commission. Here’s our full Advertising Policy.
Update: One or more card offers in this post are no longer available. Check our Hot Deals for the latest offers.
It’s the time of year for fresh starts, new beginnings, and…changing your AMEX SimplyCash 3% cash back category!
You have until January 31, 2016 to switch your 3% cash back to a different category. If you still like the 1 you’ve chosen, do nothing. It will stay the same as last year.
I’ll remind you of your choices and help you pick the best 3% cash back category for your small business!
What’s the Deal?
Link: AMEX SimplyCash
The AMEX SimplyCash is 1 of my favorite small business cards because it has terrific bonus categories and no annual fee!
It currently has a $250 sign-up bonus after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the 1st 6 months of opening your account. You’ll also get:
- 5% cash back at US office supply stores & US cell phone service on purchases up to $25,000 per rebate year
- 3% cash back on the category of your choice on purchases up to $25,000 per rebate year
- 1% cash back on other purchases
- Terms & limitations apply
You can choose 1 category from a list of 7 to earn 3% cash back up to a maximum of $25,000 in spending per year. That’s up to $750 ($25,000 in spending X 3%).
Choose the category that makes the most sense for your spending:
- Airfare (purchased directly from airlines, so online travel agencies like Orbitz won’t count)
- Hotel stays purchased directly from hotels (excluding timeshares, banquets, and events)
- Car rental companies listed at americanexpress.com/rewards-info
- US gas stations
- US restaurants
- US purchases for shipping
- US purchases for advertising in select media
If you don’t choose a category within the 1st 2 months of opening your account, the default is 3% cash back at US gas stations. And once you’ve picked your category, you can only change it again between December 1 and January 31 each year.
Pick a category where you don’t earn a bonus with your other cards! Or you might want to select 1 based on where your small business spends the most.
For example, folks who advertise, like dentists, lawyers, or real estate agents, might consider choosing US advertising in select media as their 3% cash back category. If you have an eBay business, it likely makes the most sense to choose US shipping instead.
You have less than 2 weeks left to decide. Don’t forget to switch your AMEX SimplyCash category (if you want!) by January 31, 2016.