Signing-up for credit cards through partner links earns us a commission. Here’s our full Advertising Policy.
Update: One or more card offers in this post are no longer available. Check our Hot Deals for the latest offers.
If you’re looking to take advantage of the increased Chase United Airlines MileagePlus Explorer card offer, this is your last chance to apply!
Until March 15, 2018, you can earn 50,000 bonus United Airlines miles after spending $3,000 on purchases within the first 3 months of account opening. And the $95 annual fee is waived the first year!
Typically, we’ll see offers for this card with either the $95 annual fee waived or with an increased bonus. But this time you can get both!
Here is what you need to know about the card.
Last Chance for the Improved Chase United Explorer Card Offer
With the United MileagePlus Explorer card, you can earn 50,000 United Airlines miles after spending $3,000 on purchases within the first 3 months of account opening.
You’ll also get perks like:
- 5,000 bonus United Airlines miles after you add an authorized user to your account and make a purchase with your card during the first 3 months
- 2 United Airlines miles per $1 you spend on purchases from United Airlines
- 1 United Airlines mile per $1 you spend on everything else
- Free first checked bag for you and 1 companion – but you MUST use your card to pay for your ticket
- Priority boarding
- 2 United Club lounge passes per card membership year
- Access to an increased number of award seats
- NO foreign transaction fees
The $95 annual fee is waived the first year.
This is better than the previous 40,000 United Airlines mile sign-up bonus. But there have been higher (targeted!) sign-up bonuses in the past.
That said, if you’re looking to earn more United Airlines miles, this could be a good option. Just remember, if you’ve opened 5+ credit cards within the past 24 months from ANY bank (except certain small business cards), it’s likely you will NOT be approved for the card.
What Can You Do With 50,000 United Airlines Miles?
United Airlines miles are valuable because United Airlines generally has lots of available award seats. So they’re easier to use if your travel plans aren’t flexible. And you can use United Airlines miles to book award travel with Star Alliance and other partners airlines!
50,000 United Airlines miles is enough for:
- 2 round-trip domestic coach tickets (contiguous 48 states, Alaska, and Canada)
- 1 round-trip coach ticket to Hawaii, Caribbean, Northern South America, Central America, or Mexico
- 5 one-way domestic coach tickets for itineraries 700 miles or less
- 1 one-way coach ticket to Asia, Australia, New Zealand, or Europe
Keep in mind, partner airline awards in Business and First Class are more expensive than if you booked the same route on a United Airlines operated flight.
But there are some sweet spots with the United Airlines partner award chart. For example, short-haul (800 miles or less) partner award flights outside of the US only cost 8,000 United Airlines miles one-way in coach! This is a great way to get around Europe and Asia for less!
More Ways to Earn United Airlines Miles
One of my favorite ways to get United Airlines miles is to transfer Chase Ultimate Rewards points to United Airlines at a 1:1 ratio from cards like the Chase Sapphire Reserve, Chase Sapphire Preferred, and Ink Business Preferred.
You can check out my series on all the ways to earn and use United Airlines miles!
Until March 15, 2018, there is an improved offer for the Chase United Airlines MileagePlus Explorer card.
You can earn 50,000 United Airlines miles after spending $3,000 within the first 3 months! That’s 10,000 miles higher than the previous offer. Plus, the $95 annual is waived the first year.
This is a great offer, because you’ll get the increased bonus and won’t have to pay the annual fee! But it’s not the highest (targeted) offer we’ve ever seen.
Do you plan on jumping on this deal while it’s still around?