Signing up for credit cards through partner links earns us a commission. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. Here’s our full Advertising Policy.
Update: One or more card offers in this post are no longer available. Check our Hot Deals for the latest offers.
But starting in early 2018, they’ll merge Kimpton Karma Rewards into the IHG program. So you’ll be able to earn and use IHG points at Kimpton Hotels worldwide!
Folks who are loyal to Kimpton might be concerned that they’ll lose the personal touches and amenities from Kimpton’s loyalty program.
But some of your favorite perks are sticking around. I’ve got the details!
Kimpton Will Become Part of IHG Rewards Loyalty Program
Starting in early 2018, you’ll be able to earn and use IHG points at Kimpton Hotels. And folks enrolled in Kimpton’s loyalty program, Kimpton Karma Rewards, will automatically be enrolled in IHG Rewards Club.
Kimpton is known for its personalized service and great perks, especially for folks with elite status. But IHG’s loyalty program isn’t exactly known for these sorts of things. 😉
While it’s exciting that IHG members will now have new ways to earn and redeem IHG points, Kimpton Karma members might wonder what will happen to their much-loved Kimpton perks!
What Will Happen When Kimpton Becomes Part of IHG Rewards?
Million Mile Secrets contributor Lyn got the inside scoop from Susanna Freer Epstein, Senior Vice President, Global Loyalty Marketing at IHG on what folks should expect when Kimpton Karma Rewards joins IHG Rewards.
Kimpton and IHG take the personalization of the Kimpton Karma program seriously. So they’re keeping the best parts of the Kimpton program for IHG Rewards members to enjoy on Kimpton stays!
1. Will Sweet Perks Like Raid the Bar and Spa Credits Remain?
If you have IHG Gold, Platinum, or Spire Elite status, you’ll still get a $30 in-room spa credit and minibar credits at Kimpton Hotels.
2. What Will Kimpton Karma Rewards Credits Be Worth?
Until now, Kimpton Karma members earned credits based on stays, not points. Once the programs are merged, Kimpton members will have their credits converted to IHG points as follows:
- Tier 1 (Club) – 1,000 IHG points per night accrued as of December 31, 2017
- Tier 2 (Gold Elite), 3 (Platinum Elite), and Inner Circle (Spire Elite) – 2,000 IHG points per night accrued as of December 31, 2017
3. What About Kimpton Free Night Rewards?
If you have Kimpton Free Night Rewards in your account, they’ll be converted to IHG Rewards Club Reward nights with the same expiration date.
4. How Many IHG Points Will You Earn for Kimpton Stays?
You’ll earn 10 IHG points per $1 spent for qualifying stays at Kimpton Hotels. If you have elite status, you’ll earn bonus points like you usually do.
5. What Will IHG Award Nights Cost at Kimpton Hotels?
Expect to pay 40,000 to 70,000 IHG points at Kimpton Hotels after the programs are merged. That’s high compared to most other IHG locations, but Kimpton Hotels are usually competitive with top-tier hotels from other chains.
Million Mile Secrets team member Jasmin stayed at the Kimpton Marlowe in Boston a few years ago. She recalls the boutique feel, with dim lighting, funky decor, and wine tastings in the lobby. And also remembers the excellent service!
Want More IHG Points?
To earn more IHG points, you can:
- Sign-up for the Chase IHG Rewards card. Check out this post showing how you can get an 80,000 IHG point sign-up bonus and $50 statement credit after completing minimum spending requirements
- Buy IHG points
- Use the IHG Cash & Points Trick to “buy” points for even cheaper
- Transfer Chase Ultimate Rewards points (I do NOT recommend this, because there are more valuable Chase Ultimate Rewards points transfer partners)
Beginning in early 2018, Kimpton’s Karma Rewards loyalty program will be merged into IHG Rewards. You’ll be able to earn and use IHG points at Kimpton Hotels. And if you’re registered with Kimpton’s loyalty program, you will automatically be enrolled in IHG’s loyalty program.
Kimpton’s keeping cool perks, like in-room spa and minibar credits, for IHG elite members. If you already have Kimpton stay credits or reward nights in your account, they’ll convert to IHG points and reward nights.
I’d love to hear from Kimpton fans about what you think of the news. Please share your thoughts in the comments!