5 Reasons You Might Be Denied Global Entry (and What to Do About It)
Signing up for credit cards through partner links earns us a commission. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. Here’s our full advertising policy: How we make money.
MMS- Update: One or more card offers in this post are no longer available. Check our Hot Deals for the latest offers.
- Capital One® Spark® Miles for Business
- Southwest® Rapid Rewards® Performance Business Credit Card
- The Platinum Card® from American Express
Applying for Global Entry is more involved than TSA PreCheck. There are numerous stories of people being denied Global Entry for a variety of reasons.
I’ll share some interesting examples and tips for what to do if your application is denied.
Reasons for Being Denied Global Entry
- Infractions involving prohibited or undeclared items (Think you can bring that mango into the country without telling anyone? Think again.)
- DUI conviction (Yes, even if it was 20+ years ago.)
- Unfavorable information from another government (Kicked out of Canada for rowdy behavior as a young adult? It’s probably still on your record.)
- Being disrespectful to the agent during the Global Entry interview (Honestly, you should know better than to mess with authority.)
- Failing to disclose pertinent information on your application
Unfortunately, your approval or denial can be a bit subjective on the interviewer’s part. Regardless, tell the truth on your Global Entry application and during the interview.
If you’re denied for any reason, US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) has a process for appeals. Here’s what they say:
In the event you are denied or revoked from the Trusted Traveler Programs, then you may provide additional documentation to the CBP Trusted Traveler Ombudsman and request reconsideration.
You can read more about the reconsideration process here. You’ll have to do a good job of explaining your situation, arguing for your approval along, and providing your supporting documentation. I’ve read reports of people retrieving copies of records as far back as high school.
It may be a pain, but, in my opinion, Global Entry is well worth the hassle. I’ve had Global Entry for more than two years and I’ll never go back.
Looking to make your time in the airport less stressful? Check out our list of the top credit cards for Global Entry and TSA PreCheck. And if you want to learn more about Trusted Traveler Programs like Global Entry and TSA PreCheck, be sure to check out these posts:
- 3 Best Travel Credit Cards That Include a Free $100 Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck
- TSA PreCheck or Global Entry? Here’s How to Decide Which Is Right for You (and How to Get It for Free)
- How Global Entry Saved Me $570 When I Arrived Late to the Airport
Chase Sapphire Preferred® CardAPPLY NOW
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That’s $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
Get complimentary access to DashPass which unlocks $0 delivery fees and lower service fees for a minimum of one year when you activate by December 31, 2024.
Intro APR on purchases
20.49% – 27.49% Variable
Balance Transfer Fee
Either $5 or 5% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater.
Rates & Fees
Editorial Note: We're the Million Mile Secrets team. And we're proud of our content, opinions and analysis, and of our reader's comments. These haven’t been reviewed, approved or endorsed by any of the airlines, hotels, or credit card issuers which we often write about. And that’s just how we like it! :)
Join the Discussion!