We devote thousands of hours of research to help you get Big Travel with Small Money. You support us by signing-up for credit cards through partner links which earn us a commission. Here’s our full Advertising Policy.
British Airways has announced a new promotion that allows you to earn double Avios points on all flights through the end of the year!
This could mean some serious extra points, especially for long-haul flights between the US and North America! Unfortunately, there are several catches you need to be aware of. But if you’re looking to book travel to Europe through the end of 2018, this could be a great deal.
Double Avios Points Through The End of 2018
End date: December 31, 2018
Travel dates: September 27, 2018 to December 31, 2018
Important terms & restrictions:
- Register, book, and fly by December 31, 2018
- This offer applies to domestic flights within the United Kingdom, and British Airways operated flights within South Africa
- This offer also applies to British Airways flights traveling between Europe and North America with partners American Airlines, Iberia, and Finnair
- Earn double Avios base points. Bonus points for elite status or premium seating won’t receive double points.
- The deal only applies to bookings made after you register for the promotion. So if you already have flights booked, those reservations will not earn double Avios points
- You can earn bonus points on up to 10 segments
Promotion link: Double Avios Promotion
Good Deal or Not: This is a good deal. However, there are lots of restrictions and fine print you will have to wade through to make this work.
First of all, you must register for the promotion, book your flight, and complete your flight, all before December 31, 2018. This promotion will not apply to any existing reservations you already have or any reservations made before you register. This is a short turnaround for flights to be booked and completed. Most people have already booked holiday travel at this point and we are quickly moving into last-minute territory which will mean higher airfare. It’s a bummer they didn’t announce the promotion sooner so we could plan ahead.
If you are traveling between Europe and North America, keep in mind that American Airlines, Finnair, and Iberia flights will also earn double Avios points, as long as you book through British Airways (i.e. have a British Airways code on your boarding pass).
These double points will only apply to the base points and not any bonus points you earn from premium seating or elite status. You can maximize your points by choosing long direct flights to minimize your segments flown.
Overall this is a good deal if you can take advantage of it.
Subscribe to our newsletter, so you don’t miss out on the next deal or promotion!