Signing up for credit cards through partner links earns us a commission. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. Here’s our full Advertising Policy.
Update: One or more card offers in this post are no longer available. Check our Hot Deals for the latest offers.
I recently let you know about the bigger 50,000 American Airlines miles sign-up bonus on the Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Red card.
And via Doctor of Credit, there’s a way to earn an even better bonus!
We don’t earn a commission from this card, but we’ll always share the best deals with our fantastic readers!
I’ll show you how to take advantage of this deal!
Earn More Miles With the Barclaycard American Airlines Card
To get an extra 500 American Airlines miles (in addition to the sign-up bonus!) when you apply for the Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Red card, you’ll need to put in a referral code at the top of your application.
You can check the comments on Doctor of Credit for referral codes you can use.
Even if you aren’t approved, you should still get the 500 mile bonus! But you must be a first-time applicant.
With the increased offer on Barclaycard’s AAdvantage Aviator Red, you can earn 50,000 miles after making your first purchase in the first 90 days of opening the account, and payment of the $95 annual fee.
You’ll also get perks like:
- 2X American Airlines miles per $1 for purchases with American Airlines
- 1X American Airlines miles per $1 for all other purchases
- Group 1 boarding for the primary cardholder and up to 4 passengers on the same reservation on domestic itineraries operated by American Airlines
- 10% rebate when you redeem American Airlines miles (maximum rebate of 10,000 miles per year)
- First checked bag free for you and 4 passengers on the same reservation (domestic flights only)
This card also has NO foreign transaction fees, so it’s a good card to use internationally!
Note: Paying the annual fee does NOT count as your first purchase when earning the sign-up bonus.
Is This a Good Deal?
With the additional 500 miles, you’ll earn a total of 50,500 American Airlines miles after completing the minimum spending requirements on the Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Red card.
500 miles isn’t a lot, but it’s better than nothing! And this card is a good option for folks collecting American Airlines miles who can’t get Citi American Airlines credit card bonuses because of Citi’s restrictive new rules.
More Ways to Earn American Airlines Miles
There are plenty of other ways to earn American Airlines miles. For example, you can sign-up for:
- Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite™ Mastercard® – Current sign-up bonus of 30,000 American Airlines miles after spending $1,000 within the first three months of account opening.
- CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Mastercard® – Current sign-up bonus of 60,000 American Airlines miles after meeting $3,000 within the first three months of account opening.
- Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite™ Mastercard® – Current sign-up bonus of 50,000 American Airlines miles after spending $5,000 in purchases within the first three months.
The information for the Citi AAdvantage Platinum and CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum card has been collected independently by Million Mile Secrets. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
You can also transfer Starwood points to American Airlines. You’ll get a bonus 5,000 miles for every 20,000 point increment you transfer.
That’s in addition to the 50,000 American Airlines miles you’ll get after making your first purchase and paying the card’s annual fee. For a total of 50,500 American Airlines miles!
If you aren’t approved, you’ll still get the 500 bonus American Airlines miles. And that’s better than nothing!
Emily and I don’t earn a commission from this offer, but we’ll always share the best deals!