Introducing the Oddest American Express Cardholder Benefit – Extended NBA Jersey Assurance! Jimmy Butler Fans Pay Attention!
Signing up for credit cards through partner links earns us a commission. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. Here’s our full advertising policy: How we make money.
Every sports fan has been there. We’ve made the large investment into our favorite team and purchased the jersey of our favorite player. And then, they get traded…now it’s an awkward piece of clothing you never end up wearing again.
But, there’s no need to worry because American Express has you covered with Jersey Assurance! And it’s available to anyone with an American Express card!
While this is an awesome offer for NBA fans, there are some terms:
- The jersey must be purchased from The NBA Store, Fanatics, or the NBA Flagship store in New York City with a valid American Express card.
- The jersey must have been purchased less than 1 year from the qualifying event (i.e. trade or free agency signing.
- Claims must be made within 14 days of player being traded or signed via free agency.
- Claims for jerseys of players that become injured, suspended, dismissed, or other instances do not qualify.
- If your jersey does qualify for Jersey Assurance, you will need to fill out this form here. You will be given a pre-paid shipping label to send the jersey back.
If your jersey qualifies for replacement, you are eligible to get a jersey of the same team or to follow the player to his new team. For example, when Gordon Hayward left the Utah Jazz to go to the Boston Celtics, you would have been able to get either a Donovan Mitchell Utah Jazz jersey (same team) or get a Gordon Hayward Celtics jersey (same player).
Normally, you’re only covered if a player changes teams within 90 days of purchase. So making the purchase with your American Express card will extend the coverage an additional ~9 months. It’s important to note that you’re not covered if a player only changes their number or name, like when Ron Artest changed his name to Metta World Peace and then to The Panda’s Friend.
It is great to see that American Express is becoming a lifestyle brand around our everyday purchases. While I doubt I’ll ever use this perk, a die-hard NBA fan will find real value in this!
What’s the oddest credit card perk you’ve ever cashed in on? I’d love to hear about it in the comments!To stay on top of the latest travel and credit card news, sign up for our email newsletter!
Editorial Note: We're the Million Mile Secrets team. And we're proud of our content, opinions and analysis, and of our reader's comments. These haven’t been reviewed, approved or endorsed by any of the airlines, hotels, or credit card issuers which we often write about. And that’s just how we like it! :)