We devote thousands of hours of research to help you get Big Travel with Small Money. You support us by signing-up for credit cards through partner links which earn us a commission. Here’s our full Advertising Policy.
We’ve seen lots of new credit card offers the past couple days! It’s difficult to stay on top of them all, but if you subscribe to our daily newsletter, you’ll always be in the loop.
The Business Gold Rewards Card from American Express OPEN as we know it is gone for good! American Express has given the card a makeover, and is now calling it simply the American Express® Business Gold Card. And its benefits are much different than before.
Unfortunately, there is NO intro offer at the moment. But depending on your situation, the card may be worth your while anyway. I personally will wait to see if AMEX offers a welcome bonus before I apply. That’s because you only have the opportunity to earn each AMEX card’s bonus the first time you open it. So if you open the card now and they introduce a bonus later, you’re out of luck! That said, there’s no guarantee the card will come with a bonus in the future.
BIG Updates to the AMEX Business Gold Card
Apply Here: American Express® Business Gold Card
The AMEX Business Gold comes with great spending categories. You’ll earn 4 AMEX Membership Rewards points per $1 on 2 categories where you spend the most each month (capped at the first $150,000 in combined purchases each calendar year, then 1 point per $1):
- Airfare purchased directly from airlines
- US purchases for advertising in select media (online, TV, radio)
- US purchases made directly from select technology providers of computer hardware, software, and cloud solutions
- US purchases at gas stations
- US purchases at restaurants
- US purchases for shipping
This is a nice change because you won’t have to choose you bonus categories before hand, instead you’ll automatically earn 4X AMEX Membership Rewards points on whatever 2 categories you spend the most on each month. And you will earn 1 AMEX Membership Rewards point for everything else.
You’ll also receive a 25% points rebate if you use your AMEX points for flights booked with AMEX Travel (up to 250,000 points back each calendar year). This perk applies to any flight (including coach) booked with your selected airline or Business & First Class flights you book through AMEX Travel.
If you have lots of business expenses, you may do well with this card. AMEX Membership Rewards points are very handy for free flights all over the world!
For example, you could fly one-way to Spain (off-peak) from New York in Business Class for free by transferring 34,000 AMEX Membership Rewards points to Iberia. You’ll achieve that after you spend only $8,500 in a 4X bonus category.
Or you could fly round-trip to Europe in coach by transferring 60,000 points to Delta. You’ll earn enough points after spending $15,000 in the 4X bonus categories!
This card is great for folks that generate a lot of spending with their small business. And you can save bunches if you’re in a position to take advantage of perks like a free year of G Suite Basic or the ZipRecruiter Standard membership.
The card comes with plenty of features to help business owners save time & money:
- Up to 1 free year of subscriptions to G Suite Basic for up to 3 users and ZipRecruiter Standard (as statement credits for the first 12 months) a combined value of up to $3,188!
- Expense Management Tools: Connect to Quickbooks, access SpendManager, receive a year-end summary, etc.
- Add Employee Cards with a no annual fee option, and earn AMEX Membership Rewards points for employee purchases. You can also track employee expenses with spending limits, alerts, and summary reports
- Terms Apply
This card’s annual fee has also increased from $175 to $295 per year. Ouch! But if you value the above tools, the card could be well worth the fee.
Let us know if you apply!