Signing up for credit cards through partner links earns us a commission. Here’s our full Advertising Policy.
Update: One or more card offers in this post are no longer available. Check our Hot Deals for the latest offers.
If you have plans to travel to Mexico, there’s a new program that can save you time at Immigration & Customs called Viajero Confiable.
With Programa Viajero Confiable, Mexican citizens and US citizens with Global Entry can use kiosks at select airports in Mexico to get through the airport quickly.
Let’s take a look at how it works and who’s eligible!
What’s the Deal?
Members can skip the line at Immigration & Customs when entering Mexico and use kiosks to get through more efficiently. When you arrive, just scan your passport, fingerprints, and complete the immigration form.
Here’s how to sign-up:
- Complete the online application
- Pay the application fee of
1,372 Mexican Pesos (~$89 US dollars)
- Schedule an appointment (no more than 2 weeks after you submit your application) at 1 of the participating airports where they will verify your information, take your fingerprints, and scan your iris for identification. You will also need your passport, which must be at least 6 months from expiration.
Like US Global Entry, your membership is good for 5 years. The program is open to Mexican citizens and
US citizens who have Global Entry (18 years of age or older).
Don’t Have Global Entry?
Cards that will refund your Global Entry application fee include:
- The Platinum Card® from American Express
- The Business Platinum® Card from American Express
- The Platinum Card® from American Express Exclusively for Mercedes-Benz
- Citi Prestige
- Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite™ Mastercard®
And check out my trick for getting a quicker Global Entry appointment.
Should You Sign-Up?
Viajero Confiable is a great way to get ahead of the lines at Mexican Immigration & Customs. However, you must complete an interview at 1 of the 3 participating airports in Mexico and there’s an ~$89 fee.
So this may only be worth it for folks who travel to Mexico frequently on vacation, business, or to visit family. But keep in mind, this is currently available in just 3 airports.
Also you must be 18 or older to participate, so this isn’t a good option for families traveling with children.
The program is open to Mexican citizens and US citizens with Global Entry for an ~$89 application fee.
But you’ll have to complete an interview at 1 of the 3 locations in Mexico, so this may only be worth it for folks who visit frequently.