Signing up for credit cards through partner links earns us a commission. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. Here’s our full Advertising Policy.
Update: One or more card offers in this post are no longer available. Check our Hot Deals for the latest offers.
INSIDER SECRET: If you have Hilton Gold status, you’ll get free breakfast at all Hilton hotels. And Gold status is super-easy to earn.
Do you know how to make your Hilton points 20% more valuable?
Whenever you book five consecutive Hilton award nights, the fifth night is free. The only caveat is that you need Hilton elite status, which you’ll automatically receive just for holding any Hilton credit card.
For example, you’ll earn Hilton Gold Status with the Hilton Honors American Express Surpass® Card, which comes with 130,000 bonus points plus a free weekend night after you make $4,000 in purchases within the first four months of account opening. And you’ll earn Hilton Silver status with the Hilton Honors American Express Card, which comes with 90,000 Hilton bonus points after spending $2,000 on purchases within the first three months of account opening. Both these offers end August 28, 2019.
I’ll run through everything you should know about this super-valuable perk.
How Does the Hilton Fifth-Night-Free Perk Work?
There’s a very important distinction about how Hilton’s fifth-award-night-free perk works.
You do not receive every fifth award night for free, like a Subway sandwich card. This perk activates only when you book five consecutive award nights at a time.
This perk is also not a rebate. Once you select the five nights you want, you’ll see the discounted price at checkout. This is great, because that means you only need four nights worth of points to stay five nights.
For example, let’s say you book a four-night stay that costs 60,000 Hilton points per night. At checkout you would owe 240,000 points, 60,000 points per night. But if you booked five nights instead of four, you would pay the same 240,000 Hilton points, but each of the five nights would only cost 48,000 Hilton points.
In other words, Hilton won’t show that you received a free night. Instead it will display the discount by taking points off each night.
Pro Tip: If you’re booking more than five nights with varying award prices, book the five most expensive consecutive nights separately. That way the website will average the most expensive nights and give you the biggest discount.
Are There Exceptions?
There are a few exceptions where you won’t get the fifth night free:
- Points and money doesn’t count as an award stay. You’ll have to use ALL POINTS to get the fifth night free.
- You can only book a standard room.
- You can’t combine the fifth-night-free with any other Hilton promotion.
How Do You Book a Fifth Night Free?
Booking a fifth night free is easy. Sign into your Hilton account and select a stay of five nights or more. You’ll automatically get the fifth-night-free discount.
Remember, only folks who have Silver, Gold, or Diamond elite status can use this perk. If you don’t have Hilton elite status, you can earn it just by opening any of the Hilton credit cards:
- Hilton Honors American Express Card – 90,000 Hilton bonus points after spending $2,000 on purchases within the first three months of account opening (Ends August 28, 2019)
- Hilton Honors American Express Surpass® Card – 130,000 bonus points plus a free weekend night after spending $4,000 in purchases within the first four months of account opening (ends August 28, 2019)
- The Hilton Honors American Express Business Card – 125,000 Hilton bonus points after spending $3,000 in purchases in the first three months
- Hilton Honors Aspire Card from American Express – 150,000 Hilton points after spending $4,000 on purchases within the first three months of account opening
You can also pool points with up to 10 friends or family members for free, up to 500,000 points per year. So you and a travel buddy can each open a card and combine your points to get enough points to book four award nights.
Let me know if you’ve used Hilton’s fifth night free benefit! And subscribe to our newsletter for more miles and points need-to-know info.