Disclosure: We get a commission for links on the blog. You don’t have to use our links, but we’re very grateful when you do. American Express, Barclaycard, Chase, and US Bank are Million Mile Secrets advertising partners. Opinions expressed here are the author's alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or endorsed by our partners. Here’s our Advertiser Disclosure.
Chase Sapphire Reserve travel accident insurance is a benefit I hope no one ever has to use.
The cardholder and immediate family members can get $1,000,000 of insurance coverage should there be a loss of life while traveling on an airplane, bus, cruise ship, or train. This coverage also applies in certain cases when you’re traveling to or from the airport, terminal, or train station.
I’ll explain more about the Sapphire Reserve’s travel accident insurance.
About Chase Sapphire Reserve Travel Accident Insurance
The Sapphire Reserve’s $1,000,000 travel accident insurance is provided automatically and at no additional cost to the cardholder.
Here are 4 other important things you should know.
Who Is Covered?
The cardholder and immediate family members will have travel accident coverage as long as part or all of their trip is paid for with the cardholder’s Sapphire Reserve.
Immediate family members include:
- Cardholder’s spouse or domestic partner
- Children, including adopted children or stepchildren
- Legal guardians
- Siblings or siblings-in-law
- Parents or parents-in-law
- Aunts or uncles
- Nieces or nephews
You’ll have coverage with award flights as long as you’re traveling on a Chase airline partner like Southwest or United Airlines.
And the primary cardholder does NOT have to be traveling on a trip for immediate family members to have this coverage.
When Are You Covered?
The travel accident insurance covers you and immediate family members when you are:
- Traveling as a passenger on an airplane, bus, cruise ship, or train
- Traveling to or from the airport, terminal, or train station on a courtesy shuttle or authorized for hire method
- Waiting at the airport, terminal, or train station
For example, you or a covered traveler have coverage when you’re traveling in a taxi to the airport.
Maximum Coverage Amount
The travel accident benefit provides $1,000,000 loss of life coverage per person per trip. But there’s a $2,000,000 maximum limit.
If loss of life occurs for 2 or more people on your trip, the $2,000,000 will be divided by the number of covered persons.
Besides loss of life, you’ll also have $1,000,000 coverage for:
- Loss of speech and loss of hearing
- Loss of speech and 1 loss of hand, loss of foot, or loss of sight
- Loss of hearing and 1 loss of hand, loss of foot, or loss of sight of 1 eye
- Loss of 2 hands, loss of 2 feet, loss of sight, or a combination of any 2
You’ll get $500,000 in coverage for:
- Loss of hand, loss of foot, or loss of sight of 1 eye
- Loss of speech or loss of hearing
And you’ll get $250,000 in coverage for:
- Loss of thumb and index finger of the same hand
Who Receives the Payment?
Loss of life benefits are paid to the covered traveler’s beneficiary. If the person does not have a beneficiary, Chase will pay the benefit to the traveler’s survivors as follows:
- Spouse or domestic partner
- The estate of the traveler
Bottom Line About Chase Sapphire Reserve Travel Accident Insurance
When you pay for a trip with the Chase Sapphire Reserve, you’ll automatically get $1,000,000 in travel accident insurance. This coverage applies to:
- Any paid flight
- Award flights on Chase airline partners
- Cardholder and immediate family members as long as part of trip is paid with the Sapphire Reserve
- Passenger travel on an airplane, bus, cruise ship, or train
- Travel to or from an airport, cruise terminal, or train station in a taxi or authorized transportation method
This benefits covers other losses during your travel time too, like loss of sight or loss of hearing.
For more details and how to file a claim, I’d recommend reading the complete Benefits Guide for the Sapphire Reserve.
* If you liked this post, why don’t you join the 20,000+ readers who have signed-up to receive free blog posts via email (only 1 email per day!) or in an RSS reader …because then you’ll never miss another update!