Disclosure: We get a commission for links on the blog. You don’t have to use our links, but we’re very grateful when you do. American Express, Barclaycard, Chase, and US Bank are Million Mile Secrets advertising partners. Opinions expressed here are the author's alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or endorsed by our partners. Here’s our Advertiser Disclosure.
Update: One or more card offers in this post are no longer available. Check our Hot Deals for the latest offers.
I’ll help you decide if it makes sense for you to take advantage of this promotion!
Here’s the Deal
Through September 14, 2016, you’ll earn 20% more miles when you transfer Starwood points to American Airlines miles.
You usually earn 5,000 bonus miles when you transfer 20,000 Starwood points to airline frequent flyer programs.
But with this promotion, you’ll get 20% more miles. That’s a total of 30,000 American Airlines miles when you transfer 20,000 Starwood points (20,000 Starwood points transfers to 20,000 American Airlines miles + 5,000 Starwood bonus + 5,000 promotion bonus).
You can transfer up to 79,999 Starwood points to American Airlines miles per 24-hour period. And I always recommend transferring points in increments of 20,000 to get the 5,000 mile bonus for each transfer!
Is This a Good Deal?
This could be a good deal for folks who have a specific use in mind for their American Airlines miles!
If you transfer 20,000 Starwood points and get 30,000 American Airlines miles, that’s enough for a round-trip coach saver ticket from the US to Central America. Or a one-way coach saver flight to Europe.
Check out my posts about how to use American Airlines miles to fly to Europe. And how to use fewer American Airlines miles on one of their partner airlines during off-peak dates.
Just remember, it takes ~7 to 10 days for the miles to appear in your American Airlines account. And American Airlines adds the 20% bonus within a week after the transfer posts. So do NOT make the transfer if you need the miles immediately!
Want More Starwood Points?
- 25,000 Starwood points when you complete the minimum spending requirements
- 2X Starwood points per $1 spent at Starwood hotels which include Aloft, Element, Four Points, Le Meridien, Sheraton, St Regis, The Luxury Collection, Westin and W brand hotels
- 2 stay credits or 5 night credits toward Starwood elite status
- No foreign transaction fees
- Terms & limitations apply
Let me know if you plan to take part in this promotion!
* If you liked this post, why don’t you join the 20,000+ readers who have signed-up to receive free blog posts via email (only 1 email per day!) or in an RSS reader …because then you’ll never miss another update!