Disclosure: We get a commission for links on the blog. You don’t have to use our links, but we’re very grateful when you do. American Express, Barclaycard, Capital One, Chase and US Bank are Million Mile Secrets advertising partners. Opinions expressed here are the author's alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or endorsed by our partners. Here’s our Advertiser Disclosure.
Update: The card offer in this post is no longer available. Check our Hot Deals for the latest offers.
Million Mile Secrets reader, Taylor tweeted:
With the Citi Prestige, can you use the $250 immediately after getting the card?
Can you earn a $250 statement credit on airline purchases as soon as you get the Citi Prestige card?
Yes, you can immediately make airfare purchases that will be reimbursed by your Prestige card. I’ll explain how it works and when you can expect the statement credit to appear on your account.
What’s the Citi Prestige Card?
Link: Citi Prestige 50,000 Point Sign-Up Bonus
When you sign-up for the Citi Prestige and spend $3,000 on purchases within the 1st 3 months of opening your account, you’ll earn 50,000 Citi ThankYou points. (EXPIRED.)
Plus, you get a LOT of amazing perks including:
- 3 Citi ThankYou points per $1 you spend at airlines, hotels, and travel agencies
- 2 Citi ThankYou points per $1 you spend at restaurants and select entertainment (includes movie theaters, amusement parks, tourist attractions)
- $250 statement credit for airline fees such as airfare and baggage fees appearing on your statement from December to the following December
- $100 statement credit for Global Entry application fee
- 4th night free when you book 4 consecutive nights at any hotel (must be booked through Citi Prestige Concierge and paid in full with your card)
The $450 annual fee is NOT waived. But the $250 airfare credit alone makes it an effective $200 annual fee. And then you can get another $250 credit before the 2nd annual fee is due.
How Does the $250 Airline Credit Work?
With the Citi Prestige you can earn a $250 statement credit each calendar year.
To get the credit, Taylor can start making airline purchases as soon as he receives his card in the mail. He can make a single purchase of $250+ or separate smaller purchases.
However, the amount he spends won’t be credited back to his account instantly. According to Citi, it may take up to 1 to 2 billing cycles for the statement credit to post to his account.
The Citi Prestige card comes with fantastic benefits including a $250 statement credit towards airfare or airline incidentals.
As soon as you get the card in the mail, you can begin making purchases that will count towards the statement credit. The credit should post to your account within 1 to 2 billing cycles.