VIDEO: Baggage Handler Flagrantly Stealing From a Suitcase

Update: One or more card offers in this post are no longer available. Check our Hot Deals for the latest offers.

To stay on top of the latest travel news, sign up for our email newsletter!

I don’t know what’s wrong with me that I still think all people are inherently good.  I’ve never been robbed, severely ripped off (that I’m aware of), or even killed.  So I’m pretty trusting with literally everyone I meet.

On our last family trip to the Caribbean, my mom lost one of her electronic devices, and reported it to the airline as stolen from one of her suitcases.  I smirkingly waited for her to text me when she found it buried in her purse or something.  But it turns out it was stolen, and the airline reimbursed her in full.

Stolen items from my bag is the last thing I worry about.  Then I see a video like this.

A Ryanair passenger recorded this baggage handler in Ibiza yanking what looks like a red Bluetooth speaker out of a bag and sliding it into his pocket.  The passenger reported the employee to the cabin crew, who then alerted the police.

The thief was ordered to return the item, and is now being investigated.

Baggage handlers seem to be some of the most disgruntled and reckless folks of the working world.  I wonder why that is?

Have you ever suffered items damaged or stolen from your checked bags?

Joseph Hostetler is a full-time writer for Million Mile Secrets, covering miles and points tips and tricks, as well as helpful travel-related news and deals.

JTA

Looks like all carry on bags, on the cart, the ones where they say overhead is full, bring them up and we’ll check them.

Cami

On one of my first flights ever, we had our very nice camera stolen from our checked bags. That was back before the internet, great credit cards, etc. so we never got reimbursed and lost all of our photos.

Andrew W
Reply to  Cami

That’s terrible! I’m sorry to hear that happened to you. I always try to avoid checking bags when possible, but if I have to, I do my best to keep the most valuable things with me in my carry on.

Rick

Rather, the downside of low UNemployment.

Rick

The downside of low employment is that airlines stoop to hire anyone that is willing to schlep a bag. I doubt they do any background checks, which should be more worrisome for the traveler. Scumbags are also protected by their unions, at least where unionized shops exist. I no longer check bags, and my carry on pushes right up against the maximum allowable size and weight.

Michael Rhoden

I flew from Jacksonville Fl to JFK to DOHA to Go Chi Minh City. MY one brand new suitcase was severely damaged. THE wheels were almost completely knocked off. I had TSA locks on it. Upon arrival to.hotel I opened up damaged suitcase to discover my brand Nike sneakers were gone. I flew Jet Blue to JFK and Qatar airlines rest ofway.

Andrew W
Reply to  Michael Rhoden

That’s terrible! Did you have any recourse by filing a claim?

Andrew
2 years ago

Delta handlers at either Charles de Gaulle or MSP severely damaged my R2D2 suitcase earlier this month. There was a dent on the top–a clear sign that a heavy bag (or bags?) was placed on top of it– and one wheel was bent at a nearly 90 degree angle. Would baggage handlers treat luggage the same way if they knew it belonged to their friends, family or boss?

Andrew W
Reply to  Andrew

Sorry to hear that Andrew. I’ve read many stories of this online. I wonder if those tags serve any purpose at all.

Diane
2 years ago

TSA damages things in my bags constantly. Pressing down they pop my medication holders open which spill. They let things drop out. They don’t care but leave their final insult with their card explaining they can do it anyway whether it affects you after not. Grrrrr

Andrew W
Reply to  Diane

I try to avoid checking bags because I get anxious about how TSA will re-pack things in my bag. Seems like they just don’t care in many instances.

I just returned from a trip to Italy, and one of my friends had neatly packed away everything in her checked luggage, only to find that everything was basically tossed back in with no rhyme or reason from TSA. Quite frustrating.

Bob
2 years ago

Points bloggers seem to be some of the most self reighteous, condescending, and annoying people of the “working” world. I wonder why that is?

elben