Signing up for credit cards through partner links earns us a commission. Here’s our full Advertising Policy.
In case you haven’t heard, Southwest CEO Gary Kelly said the airline was WEEKS away from from selling flights to Hawaii. And that was 2 weeks ago!! You can sign-up for our newsletter to know immediately when Hawaii flights go on sale.
The final task before they’re allowed to begin service has been half completed. The final roadblock preventing Southwest from flying to Hawaii is something called an “Extended Operations” certification. They’ve been approved for part of it, and they’re waiting for the rest.
You’ll be primed for free Southwest flights to Hawaii if you earn Chase Ultimate Rewards points (they transfer to Southwest at a 1:1 ratio) with the following cards:
- Chase Sapphire Preferred Card – Our #1 pick for folks new to the miles & points hobby (I’ve had this card for 5 years)
- Ink Business Preferred Credit Card – The uncontested best small business credit card on the market
- Chase Sapphire Reserve – This card is the most valuable of the bunch, and makes the points you collect with the other 2 cards more valuable!
Or you can earn Southwest points that will count toward earning a Southwest Companion Pass with these cards:
- Southwest Rapid Rewards® Priority Credit Card
- Southwest Rapid Rewards® Premier Business Credit Card
- Southwest Rapid Rewards® Premier Credit Card
- Southwest Rapid Rewards® Plus Credit Card
Southwest Service to Hawaii Will Begin Any Day
Southwest now has its Extended Operations procedures and manuals approved. It now is waiting to demonstrate a couple exercises to the Federal Aviation Administration, and it’ll be good to go!
Southwest pilots have ZERO scheduled flights to Hawaii through February. And while that sounds a little disheartening, sales to Hawaii should begin way before the end of February. So we could be boarding Southwest flights to Honolulu by March 2019.
Southwest frequently offers the best prices, along with super customer friendly policies (2 free checked bags per passenger, unbelievable change and cancellation policies, etc.). Plus, you can use the most valuable travel perk, the Southwest Companion Pass, where you can bring a travel buddy for just the cost of taxes & fees whenever you fly Southwest!
I fell in love with Hawaii during my last trip. I can’t wait to use Southwest points to return.
Hat Tip: Chicago Business Journal
Sign-up for our newsletter below so you’ll know the instant Southwest flights to Hawaii go on sale! Seats will sell in a hurry.