Signing up for credit cards through partner links earns us a commission. Here’s our full Advertising Policy.
1. Delta Award Sale to Europe Starting at 33,000 Miles Round-Trip
Flying to Europe from New York or Boston in early 2019? Here’s an award sale that could save you a bundle of miles!
Delta is selling discounted coach award seats to several European cities for travel between January 10, 2019, and March 15, 2019. But you’ll have to book your flights by June 13, 2018.
Here are some example routes on sale:
- Boston to London for 33,000 Delta miles round-trip (27,000 miles less than United Airlines)
- New York to Zurich for 33,000 Delta miles round-trip (27,000 miles less than United Airlines)
- New York To Madrid for 40,000 Delta miles round-trip (20,000 miles less than United Airlines)
- New York to Brussels for 48,000 Delta miles round-trip (12,000 miles less than United Airlines)
As you can see, depending on where you’re going, this sale will save you a dramatic amount of miles over other airlines. It could even be worth flying to these airports to save miles.
Note: You must book a round-trip flight to get the sale prices.
Some of the sale routes are actually cheaper than Delta advertises! So search your desired route and see what pops up.
Check out our post on the best airline credit cards to learn how you can earn an armload of Delta miles with very little effort!
2. United Airlines Charges for Checked Bags on Select Transatlantic Flights
United Airlines is crafting a Basic Economy fare option for folks headed to Europe! And if you’re not careful, it may end up costing you more.
You can now buy a cheaper United Airlines flight that does NOT include a free checked bag in the price. Which may be beneficial for anyone able to pack for an international holiday with just a carry-on. But for everyone else, it’s probably a better idea to buy a regular coach seat.
The cheaper fares are listed as “Economy (first bag no charge/no changes allowed).” With these tickets, you’ll pay $60 one-way for a checked bag. So for these to make sense, you’ll need to find a fare $121+ cheaper than a regular coach fare. So good luck with that.
Note: If you have United Airlines or Star Alliance elite status, or if you have a United Airlines credit card like the United℠ Explorer Card, and use that card to pay for your ticket, you won’t be charged for your first checked bag.
To make sure you never miss valuable miles & points news and promos, sign up for our email newsletter!