Starting Now the Citi Prestige Has New 5X Citi ThankYou Points Bonus Categories – But More Changes Are on the Horizon
Signing up for credit cards through partner links earns us a commission. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. Here’s our full Advertising Policy.Citi is an MMS advertising partner
Citi is making big changes to its popular Citi Prestige® Card. And while some are positive and others are devastating, today’s changes are all good news. You’ll now earn more Citi ThankYou points than ever with the card!
Here are the changes that take effect today (you can sign-up for our newsletter so you don’t miss important changes like this in the future):
- You’ll earn 5 Citi ThankYou points for airfare and dining (up from 3 points)
- You’ll earn 3 Citi ThankYou points with hotels and cruises (2 points higher than before)
- Your $250 annual travel credit can be used for a wide range of travel purchases, like airfare, hotels, and rental cars (previously just airfare)
There are a few other changes that will be rolled out this year. I’ll explain more below.The information for the Citi Prestige has been collected independently by Million Mile Secrets. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Citi Prestige Now Earns 5X Citi ThankYou Points for Airfare and Dining
The Citi Prestige is currently not available to new applicants, but it will be before the end of the month. For those of us who already have the card (I have it and use it frequently), we can enjoy these improved benefits today.
There are plenty of other cards that give you bonus points for airfare and dining. But earning 5X Citi ThankYou points might just be enough for you to holster the others. For example:
- The Chase Sapphire Preferred Card gives you 2 Chase Ultimate Rewards points per $1 at restaurants, (a return of at least 2.5 cents per $1 when you redeem your points through the Chase Travel Portal) and it has a much lower annual fee
- The Chase Sapphire Reserve gives you 3 Chase Ultimate Rewards points per $1 at restaurants (a return of at least 4.5 cents per $1 when you redeem your points through the Chase Travel Portal)
- The Capital One® Savor® Cash Rewards Credit Card gives you 4% back at restaurants, also with a much lower annual fee
Because you can redeem Citi ThankYou points through the Citi ThankYou portal for 1.25 cents each toward airfare, the Citi Prestige earns you at least 6.25% back on dining. That’s 1.75 cents more than its best competitor! The downside is, starting September 1, 2019, this bonus is going away and you’ll only be able to redeem your Citi Prestige ThankYou points for 1 cent each through the Citi travel portal.
However, Citi’s transfer partners aren’t as amazing as Chase’s. So it could be worth a slightly inferior return if you like transferring your points to amazing partners like Hyatt, United Airlines, and Southwest.Note: Beginning in September, Citi will make a few awful changes to the Citi Prestige, including:
- A higher annual fee of $495 (up from $450) beginning on your account anniversary date after September 1, 2019
- A cap on the 4th night free benefit – Previously you could receive the 4th night free an unlimited number of times. That will now be capped at 2 uses per year
- You’ll only be able to book your 4th night free through the Citi ThankYou portal (in other words, it will be a 3rd party booking and you won’t get hotel elite status or earn hotel points)
- No 25% bonus when using your points to reserve airfare through the Citi ThankYou portal
Let us know what you think of these changes. Will you apply for the Citi Prestige when the application goes live later this month?
Chase Sapphire Preferred® CardAPPLY NOW
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That’s $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash’s subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
Either $5 or 5% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater.
Editorial Note: We're the Million Mile Secrets team. And we're proud of our content, opinions and analysis, and of our reader's comments. These haven’t been reviewed, approved or endorsed by any of the airlines, hotels, or credit card issuers which we often write about. And that’s just how we like it! :)