All Chase Visa Credit Cards Will Soon Have Built-In Contactless Payment Capabilities, Making It Even Easier to Earn Those Beloved Ultimate Rewards Points!

Update: One or more card offers in this post are no longer available. Check our Hot Deals for the latest offers.

Chase recently announced it will start issuing credit cards with built-in contactless payment.  And I say, it’s about time!

Contactless payment has been the norm for years in other parts of the world.  My teammate Jasmin, who’s from Canada, said that you’ll actually get a funny look for trying to swipe your credit card in Canada.  And it’s rare to ever have to sign for a bill.  The US has been behind in the chip-enabled card game too!

The announcement applies to all Chase Visa® credit cards, like the Ink Business Preferred Credit Card (our #1 card for small businesses) and the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card (our #1 card for beginners).  So if your Chase card has the Visa logo, you’ll be eligible to receive a card you can use for contactless payments.

Contactless Payment Has Been Around for Ages In Other Countries, and Chase Is Finally Adding Contactless Payment Capabilities to Its Visa Cards!

Chase’s website says that contactless-ready cards will be issued through the end of 2018.  But other readers and bloggers have noted that Chase customer service representatives are telling cardholders that officially, Chase Visa cards will go contactless on November 15, 2018.

What do you think about this news?  With lots of merchants in the US now accepting Apple Pay, Google Pay, and Samsung pay, I’m hoping even more US credit card issuers will embrace contactless payment.  I’m also willing to bet my co-worker Keith, who has 3 Chase small business cards in his wallet, is super excited about this news as well!

Want to stay on top of the latest credit card and travel news?  Then subscribe to our newsletter and get it delivered to you daily!

Meghan Hunter is a contributor to Million Mile Secrets, he covers topics on points and miles, credit cards, airlines, hotels, and general travel.

Miles

Is there a way to tell if a Chase card has the contactless feature?

Josh Mackles

While that is good news, it doesn’t at all explain your headline, “Making it easier to earn those Ultimate Rewards points.” How? While you probably will indeed get strange looks if you tried to swipe in another country, the chip card can be “inserted” pretty much everywhere in my experience traveling throughout Europe and Asia.

Quinn
Reply to  Josh Mackles

Since Chase (and most US card issuers) are only chip and signature capable, lacking PINs, it’s a real hassle to pay for things.

Insert the card, wait for it to verify, a slip for a signature prints out, the cashier has to find a pen, you have to find a flat surface, you hold up the line and eventually you decide it’s not worth the embarrassment and you pay with cash.

Plus, automated machines still demand a pin whereas you can just tap your card on the gate lines in London and get in.

josh mackles
Reply to  Quinn

I wouldn’t go so far as to call it a hassle or inconvenience, and especially not an embarrassment. I have lived in Europe for the last 25 years and ever since I got into the credit card game over 10 years ago I have been using my card to pay for everything. It REALLY is no big deal. The only place it has been problematic is at gas stations at night when no one is on duty and the automatic card readers won’t accept the card.
I have also used credit cards exclusively to pay for things in China and Taiwan. Stores, restaurants, cafes, supermarkets, using a credit card was never a problem, nor was signing the receipt such an arduous task. In fact, the only place cards weren’t accepted was at street food stalls.
So while the contactless feature is nice, don’t believe the hype. As long as your card has a chip you won’t have any problem using it overseas. And if you are really worried about being embarrassed because you don’t have a pen handy, well, there’s a simple solution – carry a pen with you.
And as for the title of this story “making it easier to earn UR points,” I’d say, not really. A more accurate title would have been, “saving you a few seconds to earn UR points.”

Jade

I’d just be happy to put my Chase Biz Ink in my apple wallet, which is not allowed right now. Chase Pay doesn’t seem to have any traction.

Andrew W
Reply to  Jade

Hi Jade,

Good point! For me, a lot of the cards I carry in my wallet can’t be added to Apple Wallet because the issuer doesn’t support it. Since it’s so hit and miss, I’m still very much in the habit of swiping my card.

Kent

Not a fan of something that can be actively probed and read without you knowing. At least with Apple Pay there is a final id check before the phone issues the card info to the reader.

Andrew W
Reply to  Kent

I’m in agreement with you Kent. Hopefully there’s still some way for us to confirm payment ourselves.

Julie

As long as it works. Sometimes Chase Pay doesn’t even work.

Kendra Pearsall

You shouldn’t assume we know what this is. I had to look it up. Contactless payment systems are credit cards and debit cards, key fobs, smart cards or other devices, including smartphones and other mobile devices, that use radio-frequency identification (RFID) or near field communication (NFC) for making secure payments. The embedded chip and antenna enable consumers to wave their card, fob, or handheld device over a reader at the point of sale terminal.

Barbara
Reply to  Kendra Pearsall

Thank you for the explanation, Kendra!