Chase Credit Cards Get This Wrong

Update: One or more card offers in this post are no longer available. Check our Hot Deals for the latest offers.

First, I must say, I absolutely love my Chase credit cards.  Because of Chase Ultimate Rewards points, I’ve had amazing travel experiences using miles instead of money.  So I don’t want to sound like I’m not super grateful.  I am.

But I’d use certain Chase credit cards a lot more if they dropped this outdated policy.  And I’m not talking about the Chase 5-24 rule either.

Here are the 6 awesome Chase credit cards I have.  I’ll tell you which get this policy wrong and which get it right.  See if you can figure it out before I reveal the answer. 🙂

• Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card — The most important credit card I have.  Period.  Gets it right.
  • Ink Business Cash Credit Card – top-notch 5X categories.  But has the policy I don’t like.
  • Ink Business Unlimited℠ Credit Card – good general-use card but has the policy I don’t like.
  • The World Of Hyatt Credit Card – gets it right
  • IHG® Rewards Club Premier Credit Card — gets it right
  • Chase Freedom – Unfortunately it has the policy that I want changed.

The Chase credit card I most covet is the Ink Business Preferred Credit Card.  Thankfully, it gets it completely right.

The Eiffel Tower in Paris at Night. See it with your Chase credit card
I’ll Only Use 3 of My 6 Chase Credit Cards When Visiting Paris Again — Here’s Why

When All Chase Credit Cards Follow This, I’ll Use Them All While Traveling

The answer is… foreign transaction fees!  I despise this nonsense charge.  When I’m outside the US I’m constantly using and earning points on my

• Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card – for 2X on travel and dining
  • The World Of Hyatt Credit Card – when I have a paid Hyatt stay
  • IHG® Rewards Club Premier Credit Card — when I have a paid IHG stay

But…

I’d be using my Freedom, Ink Cash, and Ink Unlimited credit cards while in Europe, the Caribbean, and everywhere else too, if only they finally ditch the international fee.  These are 3 cards I use all the time while in the US.  But oh well, I switch that spending to competitor credit cards that don’t tack on the ridiculous fee.

You might counter, well, Freedom, Ink Cash, and Ink Unlimited are no annual fee credit cards.

And?!

Capital One and Discover don’t add foreign transaction fees to their no annual fee credit cards.  I mean, I end up switching some of my international spending to my Capital One® Quicksilver® Cash Rewards Credit Card.

Goodness, even the no annual fee Wells Fargo Propel American Express® card doesn’t charge a foreign transaction fee.  That card is a little bit overlooked in the travel credit card community.  Quick run-down:

• 20,000 bonus points (worth $200) after spending $1,000 within the first 3 months
  • No annual fee
  • No foreign transaction fees

The information for the Wells Fargo Propel has been collected independently by Million Mile Secrets. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.

And you earn 3X points for eating out and ordering in, which is super useful when you’re visiting another country.  The 3X at gas stations, rideshares, and transit also comes into play while exploring a new place outside the US.

Chase credit cards are my favorite because I find them to be the most valuable and easy to use to get incredible travel experiences.  So I’d like them to match the competition and remove the foreign transaction fees.

Bottom Line

If Chase stopped it with the foreign transaction fees, I’d be using all 6 of my Chase credit cards on just about every trip outside the country.  Here are the 3 I’ll be using on my upcoming winter trip to the warm, sunny beaches of the Dominican Republic:

• Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card — #1 for folks new to using travel miles instead money.  This card is key.
  • IHG® Rewards Club Premier Credit Card — I’ll use it if I book an IHG stay; not sure yet.
  • The World Of Hyatt Credit Card – I’m staying at an Airbnb but I might (should!) go to a local fitness club.  The Hyatt card gives you a nice little bonus on that.

The next Chase credit card I want is the Ink Business Preferred Credit Card.

I look forward to using it everywhere (not just in America) because it has no foreign transaction fee.  The sign-up bonus of 80,000 Chase Ultimate Rewards points (after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening) is just too good to pass up.

And I’ll be rocking the 3X Chase Ultimate Rewards points for every $1 spent on travel.

Fine print:  You earn triple Chase points for every $1 you spend on travel, shipping purchases, internet, cable and phone services, advertising purchases made with social media sites, and search engines up to a maximum of $150,000 in combined purchases per account anniversary year.

Again, I’m very grateful for the experiences I’ve had thanks to Chase credit cards and points like Business Class flights to Europe, free luxury resorts on the beach, award stays at fancy hotels in fun cities, and more.  So maybe it’s a small gripe in the grand view of things.  But I’d use my Chase credit cards even more if they’d make this policy update!

Million Mile Secrets is a contributor to Million Mile Secrets, he covers topics on points and miles, credit cards, airlines, hotels, and general travel.

Robert M Jones

I used to like Chase Ink until this happened.
Bought ticket but had a medical emergency and had to cancel. Notified airline. Filed claim per Chase Ink benefit offer for ~$2100. Received tax refund from airline (Air Canada). Over a 5 month period kept getting requests for more information which I supplied. Today I received a settlement offer of $100 with the claim that the credit card company would pay the balance on 6 June 2019, one year after I purchased the ticket through them. The credit card division knows nothing about any credit for me. And they also said my claim was for only for $1625.38, another error. I’ve written the claim division again asking what is going on, where’s my money? Not a happy camper.

Andrew W
Reply to  Robert M Jones

Hi Robert,

So sorry to hear that! I’ve read some stories online of people having trouble with claims like this, especially when it involves any complex or unusual scenarios.

I once filed a claim for extended warranty (through AMEX) and it went through without a problem.

I’m hoping horror stories like yours are more the exception.

Johnny Dickerson

U have ripped me off since 2000 and I’m going to get paid what u owe me

timothy lin

Chase Sapphire Reserve gives a better deal than Sapphire Preferred. 3% for travel and dining with no foreign transaction fee. The net $150 annual fee can be offset with an included Priority Club airport lounge card to admit you and your spouse.

Mark Stewart

The two times I traveled recently on business to Poland via Germany, when I made personal purchases on my personal CC with “no foreign transaction fees” the POS terminal had some fine print that basically said the total charge would include a transaction (hidden?) fee.

Scott Lieberman
Reply to  Mark Stewart

I almost had this happen to me in Poland, too. Mark, here’s how you avoid it. ALWAYS ask the cashier/server to charge your card in the local currency. NEVER pay in US dollars when using your credit card overseas.

Stanley Hoffman

Reserve has significant benefits. GOES credit is $100.

Car rental coverage is much better. $70000 vs. True Cash Value. Total a rental and you are stuck with TCV vs. what rental company charges and all loss of use charges. 50000 initial bonus is worth $750 vs
$625. Plus the extra 25% bonus applies to ALL CUR points from all other cards. The travel insurance is much better. My wife was hospitalized 6 days before leaving for a transatlantic cruise. Reserve covered airfare, 1 week hotel stay pre cruise and cruise fare

Scott Lieberman
Reply to  Stanley Hoffman

Hi Stanley, Sorry to hear about your wife. And I’m glad Chase helped you both out in that situation! It’s one of the many benefits of using a great credit card instead of a debit card.

Marc

Why in the world would you push the Sapphire Preferred over the Reserve if as you state you travel overseas? The difference in annual fee is only $55 yet you get 3 points instead of 2 for all travel costs, plus tons of other benefits. Please explain your justification.

Stanley Hoffman
Reply to  Marc

I think reserve only has 3 x dining not 3x travel.

Sho'nuff
Reply to  Stanley Hoffman

3x on travel and dining for CSR

Dmitry
Reply to  Marc

Extra $75 fee a year for authorized user (Reserve) kills it for me. We share cards with my wife and I can not justify to pay for “privilege” to have another card for the same account.

Tim
Reply to  Dmitry

I agree that it’s unjustify to pay another $75 for additional authorized card user. Bad enough to pay $475/yr for a primary cardholder. The kicker of having a 2nd authorized user is that it’s the exact same account and CCV#. Chase should eliminate the fee for 2nd authorized user.

Scott Lieberman
Reply to  Marc

Hey Marc, Pick whichever makes sense for your situation. Both are great cards. For me, some of the Chase Sapphire Reserve benefits are similar to a different credit card I already have.

Pam
Reply to  Scott Lieberman

Marc is correct, however. If you are redeeming as many points as you allude to, the CSR offers better value at 1.5 instead of 1.25 with the CSP on the Chase Travel Portal. Leaving 13% on the table since you apparently redeem a lot of points makes NO sense. Neithee does earning only 2 points instead of 3 at your suggested volume! The only reaaon NOT to get is inability to qualify (assuming an otherwise loaded travel schedule).

Norman Harris

Om

Idk

It’s not just chase. Most credit card issuers have foreign transaction fees on their no annual fee cards. Capital one, discover are the exception.

Marion
Reply to  Idk

Amazon Visa from Chase has no foreign transaction fees.

Scott Lieberman
Reply to  Idk

Well, those are 2 major banks plus the Wells Fargo card I mentioned.

I also have the Hilton American Express no annual fee credit card, TD Cash Credit Card, etc., that are no annual fee and no foreign transaction fee.

Manny

Not a bad read. But…

Freedom has revolving categories per quarter (don’t see why you would want this for travel. This can’t quarter was aimed for holiday spending) Ink Cash has 5X categories wouldn’t be useful for travel, 2X on dining is matched by the CSP and lesser than the CSR. I can maybe see the 2X on gas, but I don’t see that being justified for a vacation spend out of the country. And the Unlimited is just .5% more on purchases other than dining and travel compared to the CSP. What else are you really spending your money on outside of the country?? Why switch to competitor cards and lose out on more Ultimate Rewards? Guess Capital One and Discover have a more valuable point system. Oh, and Wells Fargo’s Propel card doesn’t get completely overlooked. It’s just that it’s an AMEX card and that isn’t entirely popular outside of the country.

Scott Lieberman
Reply to  Manny

Good analysis, Manny. And I do in fact almost always lean towards earning Chase Ultimate Rewards points.

Supermarket spend and entertainment/tourist attraction spend are two categories for the way I personally travel. But that might be different than most, or you.

Another example, Discover it has no annual fee and no foreign transaction fee and has rotating 5% cash back categories.

I love the no annual fee Chase cards I mentioned in the article and I want to use them everywhere without an international fee.

Thanks for commenting and sharing your thoughts!