Signing up for credit cards through partner links earns us a commission. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. Here’s our full Advertising Policy.
In the wake of the COVID-19 crisis, credit card issuers are starting to pivot away from less useful travel benefits to perks that can help customers while travel is on pause. Amex just announced a slew of new benefits to assist cardholders during this difficult time — including credits for streaming and wireless services.
Today, Chase has joined the pack and announced increased points/miles earning on many of the best Chase credit cards for key spending categories during a quarantine. From May 1 through June 30, you’ll earn 3x-5x points or miles on grocery purchases when spending with select Chase credit cards, up to $1,500 per month.
No activation is required to earn the bonus points. The $1,500 cap applies is per card, so you can actually earn bonus points on multiple cards. For example, if you meet your $1,500 cap with the Chase Sapphire Reserve, you could then switch your spending to the World of Hyatt Credit Card and earn bonus points on another $1,500 in spend.
You’re best bet is to use the Chase Sapphire Reserve which now earns 5x Ultimate Rewards points on groceries or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card which now earns 3x points. That’s about a 10% or 6% return on your spending, respectively, based on our valuation of Chase points.
These new bonus categories, the ability to earn 5x points on Doordash and Tock orders and Chase extending the time period to meet a welcome bonus make keeping your current Chase card or adding a new one to your wallet even more enticing. Many of these Chase cards will now make the list of best credit cards for groceries.
Note, that the Chase Freedom can currently earn 5% back or 5x points on groceries during this quarter, on up $1,500 in purchases.
Here are the list of eligible cards and their earning rates on grocery purchases through June 30:
- Chase Sapphire Reserve (5x Ultimate Rewards points)
- United Club Card* (5x United miles)
- United Club Infinite Card (5x United miles)
- United Presidential Plus Card** (5x United miles)
- Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (3x Ultimate Rewards points)
- United Explorer Card (3x United miles)
- United MileagePlus Card** (3x United miles)
- United MileagePlus Awards Card** (3x United miles)
- United MileagePlus Select Card** (3x United miles)
- Southwest Rapid Rewards Plus Card (3x Rapid Rewards points)
- Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier Card (3x Rapid Rewards points)
- Southwest Rapid Rewards Priority Card (3x Rapid Rewards points)
- Southwest Rapid Rewards Employee Card* (3x Rapid Rewards points)
- IHG Rewards Club Premier Credit Card (3x IHG points)
- IHG Rewards Club Select Credit Card** (3x IHG points)
- World of Hyatt Credit Card (3x Hyatt points)
- Hyatt Credit Card** (3x Hyatt points)
- Iberia Visa Signature Card* (3x Avios)
- Aer Lingus Visa Signature Card* (3x Avios)
- British Airways Visa Signature® Card (3x Avios)
- Disney Premier Visa* (3% Disney Rewards Dollars)
*The information for the card has been collected independently by Million Mile Secrets. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
**Card no longer available for new applicants