Well That Sucked – The Entertainment Screen on My Mom’s Delta Flight to Europe Didn’t Work (And Here’s What She Did About It)

My mom ran into a bit of a hiccup during a recent trip to Europe.  She flew from Minneapolis to London and (GASP!) her entertainment screen was inoperable.

Now, I’m fully aware this is a First World problem.  But we had worked hard to save up enough miles for a Delta Business Class ticket (by using many of the best credit cards for travel, of course!) and spent a lot of time looking for available award seats.  The trip was to celebrate her retirement, and I wanted the flight to be extra special.

After the trip, the more I thought about the screen, the more frustrated I got.  It wasn’t really about the screen, specifically, but more about the annoyance she’d had to deal with.  I wanted my mom’s first lie-flat Business Class experience to be perfect!  I mean lie-flat seats are the things dreams are made of, right?

So, I encouraged her to write to Delta and let them know what happened.

No Way Was an Annoying Flight Experience Going to Ruin My Mom’s Trip.  Attitude Really IS Everything!

I helped her write the complaint and we kindly let Delta know about the situation.  She explained the reason for the trip and the fact that it felt like she’d paid for a benefit she was ultimately unable to use.  She mentioned it was an especially big annoyance because it was a 10-hour flight!  The flight attendants had attempted everything from resetting the screen to using a remote, but the system wouldn’t respond.

Submitting a complaint (or compliment!) to Delta is easy.  You can log in to your account and send them an email.  Just be sure to have your flight details handy, as they’ll ask you to provide that information.

Of course, she didn’t let it ruin her vacation – it wasn’t THAT big of a deal.  But being able to watch the in-flight entertainment is, technically, part of what you’re paying for when you purchase a ticket.

Has anything like this ever happened to you?  What, in your opinion, would be fair compensation for an inconvenience such as this?  I’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments below!

Relaxed as F'ck

Whatcha mean our plane is crashing we paid fer business class!!!! Crap breaks be glad it wasn’t something critical.. Bust out the Smart Phone or Tablet and be grateful your moms still healthy enough to take a long trip with you.
I’m not looking for sympathy but my cant leave her bedroom due to cancer treatments ruining her immune system, sometimes we cant afford to pay her Satellite bill. But like I said before she breaks out the good ol smart phone!!

Whitney

Wow seriously you need to take a look at yourself crying about a screen not working get off the high horse you think you road in on and see the things that are really wrong with the world.

Natalia

This situation happens all the time. I am a Medallion and its not the company’s fault. It was a technological issue, and im sure it happens to all the other electronic items you may have at home. As for your comment about the entertainment, that is not what your paying for. You are paying for a seat from point A to B. You can still view the same movies off your own device if it really matters that much to you. Take the advice from your mom, and get over it. There are bigger issues in life☺

Joseh Nosal

Poop. Poop happened. Poop happened and Delta did nothing. On a recent flight from China, the seat next to me was empty. Great I thought. I was sitting in the center section with 4 seats. Practically first class (NOT) with aisle on one side and empty seat on the other. Everything was fine, even with the the couple on the far right with a new born. I’m an experienced flier and have really good ear plugs, eye mask etc. The flight was fine until meal service. I know, I know, the food your thinking is always a complaint. But I was flying premium select and the food usually isn’t that bad. In fact I sometimes eat it. It was the poop!! The last sitting two seats over decided that meal service was the appropriate time to change her babies poopy diaper. And she decided to do it right there, in the seat next to me. Wiping the babies rear with some sort of paper towels and piling them on the floor in front of the seat next to me. The flight attendants asked her stop but in English, they only had one attendant that spoke Chinese and they didn’t call her to help as she was in first class cabin serving meals. It was disgusting, unsanitary and stinky!!! I filed a complaint but never even so much as a response. I still fly Delta but now I complain about everything. They hate me.

Lee Herrick

Usually the FA will perform an entertainment system reset.

Cj

Does your mom not own a smart phone? I am a frequent Delta flyer. You can get the in flight entertainment on your smart phone.

Shane

My wife and I had this happen on an international flight with American Airlines. The attendants tried to fix it a couple of times and it still did not work. We paid the same amount for our seats as other passengers and had to sit there as everyone else was enjoying the entertainment offerings. I thought they would at least give us a free can of pringles to make up for it 🙂 But they did not seem too concerned. We have not written a letter to American yet.

Dan W

I have received comp for this issue from Delta and its partners before…VA gave wife and I $1000 towards future travel. Delta has given me $200 towards future travel. The comp typically depends on your status/loyalty.

Ben

Why even publish this article? Was it just for the sake of publishing something, even if it was unfinished? Don’t be like Grant with their half written posts, you’re better than that, MMS!

Linda

Had the same thing happen to me on Delta a couple of years ago. I complained to the flight attendant and she gave us 30,000 miles back on our account. Said she was authorized to give 15,000 per customer and since my husband was with me, she gave us both 15,000.

DG

The sheer number of entitled snobbish responses is beyond amazing. Seriously, it’s an electronic device, guess what, they break. Deal with it like a grown up and move on. People crack me up, deserving of a free first class tickets to Hawaii over a screen that didn’t work, are you insane? If it wasn’t a big deal, then why complain to Delta nor right this ridiculous “article” in the first place?

Bob

Once I was flying Delta, and no matter what I did, I couldn’t get one side of mr ear buds to work. I spent the whole flight listing to movies with one ear!

Bob Fotoples

So you submitted the complaint. What happened???? You can’t write “and this is what she did about it….” and leave us in suspense!

Verna Jones

Same thing happened to my husband on our family vacation to Hawaii on New Years Eve this past year (2018). As with your mother’s flight. This was a long one from Michigan to Seattle. We also flew Delta. Maybe they had the same plane. Lol.

Teresa

I feel bad but happy that didn’t ruin your mom’s vacation and retirement. They should have like the iPads when things like this happen on a business class. It has happened to me a few times. On long trips as well. It is upsetting. I think they should offer her a trip first class to Hawaii to finalize her retirement. I just got back from Australia and the lady serving me just thru the crackers and ships like it was a natural thing for her. I was like totally shocked. I thought she made a mistake but no…. cause she did it again after that my husband got the items and didn’t aloud for her to continue. For a large crew the staff was in such a hurry to go back to their area. Has been the worst service ever. We were sitting on plus comfort. It was a flight of total disappointment.

Trixi
Reply to  Teresa

No wonder; if you talk the way you write! You all sound entitled!

Nina

I understand your disappointment. You wanted to do something extra special for your mom and did a lot to make it happen. But lets focus, from your explanation the incident happend on the flight to Europe, which happens to be a night flight. From own experience I can tell you it is best to try to rest rather than stay awake to watch a movie. Also, it did not happen on the return flight, right? Plus the flight attendants were very attentive and tried their best to help. So, to answer your question: a few miles e.g. 250 may be would be adequate. And your mom showed the right attitude: enjoy life! I hope she has many more memorable trips ahead of her.

Sid
Reply to  Nina

Not pointless at all. If you fly, you expect a certain level of service. The same thing happened to me on Air France many years ago. I sent them a letter to tell them that to see the three movies I missed at home, I would need to pay for the movies, take my wife and get a babysitter. I rounded the cost to $200 and they sent me a check.

Eileen Nickolson

I was a travel counselor for many years. I was also a frequent flyer with several airlines. If you pay extra for business, you should get what you paid for. I believe fair compensation would be a free round trip domestic ticket in coach. If they won’t do free tickets, ask them what they will offer instead. I miss my job, but I don’t miss the attitude domestic airlines have. Even if it’s an tote or small price of baggage with their name on it, try it. Because truly, the people who run the airlines don’t really care about their passengers. You know the old saying, “The squeaky wheel gets oiled!”. Go for it!!

Ron Roman

My friend got a $300 voucher for a broken screen on a United flight from Koa-Lax

Sharon G

This happened to me flying CDG to ATL on Delta,Same scenario they reset many times it still didn’t work. the FA scanned my boarding pass and I recieved 15,000 miles in my account.

Lateefah

I understand the whole thing but IF it wasn’t a WHOLE BIG DEAL then why you even complain about it? I mean… Things happen unfortunately. It’s NOT like they don’t have Delta matience to fix the screen when you get off or they just ignoring you. At least they didn’t give up on YOU! This whole article was not even worth to be put on the internet and was really pointless. I work for DELTA and I’m feeling some type of way about it!!! Acting like we won’t and don’t do nothing about it. Smdh only trying to probably get some money or just wanted it on here. Smh

Sydney

GET A LIFE. SHIT HAPPENS.

BT

This exact situation happened to me on my Delta flight from Amsterdam to Portland last August. The flight attendants were attentive at first, but then later avoid me. Actually, all of the entertainment screens in my center row were not working for the duration of the flight, and they could not be reset. After hearing others had similar experiences, I’m not sure if I will fly Delta again.

Trixi
Reply to  BT

You poor thing-they won’t miss you.

Kathy Cross

This malfunctioning screen happened to me three times, and twice to my traveling companion, which may be an indication that some of the planes entertainment/ video systems need updating. The flight crew is always pleasant but unless you push for compensation all they’ll say is “ We are sorry”. The attendants can give up to 10k miles for solving issues. The first time it happened I got 5k Skymiles on a domestic flight and said okay as I didn’t know what more to do or ask for. The second was from Beijing to Norris, Japan and I was more upset. When they offered 5k and a move to the lady row seat empty seat by the bathrooms which had a functional screen, I just said, No! that’s not good enough! I, not a big corporation, paid 1500.00 for this ticket, and I expect entertainment with it just as you offer other passengers. They came back and offered 10k Skymiles. I was frustrated and said Okay and let it go. The third time was just last November coming back from Singapore on the 13 hour leg of the journey. I was really irritated when I realized my screen didn’t work. I told the crew of my other experiences they told me the most they could do with their hand held computer devices was 10k, which they gave me and encouraged me to write to their customer service reps who handle these complaint. Upon returning I wrote the letter, heard back about four days later and was offered an apology and an additional 15k miles for a total of 25k Skymiles. That was enough to satisfy me because you can almost and sometimes at least get a free domestic flight for that. Also, complain to American Express if you have the Delta Skymiles card. I did and got an additional free companion ticket. Hope this has helped answer your question about what to ask for in compensation for your inconvenience. Also your flying status makes a difference in what they off you. I’m Silver Medallion which doesn’t get you much but my traveling companion who is Diamond status gets offered more right away. So be firm,be a squeaky wheel and escalate if you don’t like the answer you got from the first Delta employee you ask. Good luck.

Dee

That absolutely sucks! I had an awful experience with Delta too. I had booked a business class ticket from Amsterdam to Portland, OR, and I pulled an all-nighter so I can sleep peacefully in the 11 hour trip. I mean, I paid a fortune for the lie-flat seat, so I was totally going to sleep the whole flight. Come to the flight, and my seat is the only one in Delta One that was broken! The leg rest wouldn’t even come up. I was furious, to say the least. The only reason I splurged on a $5k ticket was to sleep, and I had to sit up the whole flight. Flight attendants tried to fix it but it wouldn’t budge. They tried to make me feel better by giving me 15,000 miles, which was honestly offensive. I filed a complaint as soon as I hit the ground, but they really didn’t do anything. I am furious just typing this out because it was supposed to be a relaxing flight 🙁 Instead I was treated with no respect and was not re-imbursed. 15,000 miles.. really? That isn’t even an hour flight. Oh well, lesson learned.. never fly business class with Delta! I’m sorry about your moms flight too, and hopefully she gets a better reimbursment than I did 🙂

Russell kainber

Make sure to bring a tablet or laptop and usually they give free wifi when the screens go out. We had the screens not work on our trip from Hawaii to Seattle. Annoying? You bet. I dont think anyone should call to complain. It happens. The infotainment system is a free perk to keep you occupied.

Gloria Gonzalez

Similar thing happened on our Hawaii, attendants were courteous and determined. The screen never did work; they gave us a $50 voucher for later flight. Thought that was nice unfortunately it expired before we could use it but that’s not Delta’s fault.

Darrin McNeice

Enjoy a drink. Read a book. Go to sleep (isn’t that what the seat is really for). This is griping for gripings sake.

Mary

JetBlue gives $ 50
Credit….big deal.
The plane ride is boring….no food and no mindless entertainment.
I think 40% of your mom’s ticket price should cover the annoyances

Paul

I had a similar issue flying from rio to miamia in Business on American Airlines. I complained to the flight attendant and he more or less told me he didn’t care.

I wrote a complaint to American when I arrived and they gave me the typical templated “I’m sorry” email.

I also wrote a complaint on FAA website because since the screen didn’t work, I couldn’t view the safety issues as there weren’t a large screen to view and the flight attendants did not perform the safety instructions live as they leave it up to the videos.

Only then did I get a “real apology” from American as the FAA must have have forwarded my complaint. They also gave me anvicher for $350.

Millicent

I also had bad experience with Delta. My first time I travel with my 2 kids to Africa. We had several cancellation with us departung from Columbus. I had been experiencing PTSD. The flight was shaking so bad and keep moving down in the middle of the Ocean, this went son for about 30 minutes, we started praying, my older son was 4 at the time he thought we were going to die. This happens 2018 Aug 28. Looking at the screen the flight was going different directions. We went through hell before we got to JFK. Every now and then i will have night meres. I can go on and on with the things myself and my son is going through. No apologies from the pilot. We just thank God we were all alive. I will becer travel with Delta again.

Patricia Craner

When returning on Delta from Rome my friend and I were skipped at dinner service. Flight attendant ended row in front and other started row behind us. When asked about our meal all they had left was the beef meal with garlic. I’m alergic to garlic. Didn’t have a meal.

Mary Richards

I had something very similar happen on a Delta flight from Orlando to France…wrote a letter, but never heard a peep. Delta has always been my preferred airline, but not so much after that expensive experience.

Peter

Delta flight staff is authorized to give points in this situation.
I received 5000 points for a complaint about a seat issue.

Doug Johnson

Barcelona to Toronto a couple of years ago on Air Canada on a 767: there were NO screens on seatbacks ( shocked –haven’t seen that in years. They announced that they had a limited number of iPads FOR RENT (!), and that …we could download the app to access movies. No thanks.

Adam

This happened to me on a trip to Spain. Delta was very gracious and credited me with 15000 miles. I hope you get a satisfactory response.

Nick

Under the 2018 faa reauthorization act, I believe you’re eligible for compensation when services you paid for are unavailable or not provided. I’m sure the service for inflight entertainment was included in your ticket price.

Kate

Hi. It did happen to me , going overseas. I’m deaf, I don’t get the luxury of the loudspeaker or the PA system because I can’t hear it. so watching the flight map is beneficial to me. The screen was not working. It be nice to get delta sky club pass next time that happens.

Jeff

Just so you know. If you have any smart device, tablet or cell phone, you can use the WiFi for free to watch any of the in flight entertainment.

Pat

Yes, I did have the same problem, but it was on an American flight. They gave me a credit of 25000 miles on my account. Nice response by American. Thanks for sharing

Steve

While that can ruin the overall experience of the flight, it’s happened to me in First Class more than once. Usually when you bring it to the flight attendants attention and express your dismay, they do have the power to provide compensation right on the spot with skymiles. Although the story doesn’t specify if your Mom has status which could make a world of difference. Generally Delta will give a minimum of 15k miles and perhaps a voucher on short flights, maybe more on a ten hour flight. But the caveat is that if she is not high on the medallion chain, would not expect much more than that. Wish you the best! PS always fly with a tablet for this exact situation

MM

If you are relying on any person or entity to entertain you while traveling, you didn’t prepare well enough. No iphone? No ipad? No tablet?

Allison

Do something intellectual, always pack a great novel
Maybe they will give you some miles toward your next trip. But TV screens are mechanical and the system can malfunction at times. It’s not critical the engine on your flight was still working

Emma

Delta promptly compensates passengers for inconveniences. I was on a flight from Cleveland to Atlanta when the seat in front of me failed to incline for landing. The passenger sitting next to me pointed it out to the flight attendant who was unable to repair the seat; however, by the time I arrived home I received skymiles credit on my account due to the inconvenience. I didn’t ask for credit, didn’t expect credit, but Delta awarded the miles because it was the right thing to do.

Joe

I travel with my family often, exclusively on Delta. We are often pleased but when we do have a complaint they are very responsive. They often reward us with extra miles which can be worth $100 a traveler. I try not to complain for the sake of complaining but I also want them to be a better airline so I feel that it is appropriate to give feedback when it is due. And yes, i also give them positive feedback when warranted.

Suzanne

I think if cooler heads prevailed and everyone wasn’t so worried getting their panties in a wad, the daughter should have switched seats w her mom to use the working monitor and she could have pulled out her phone, iPad or computer and watched most everything else through the available onboard WiFi entertainment.
There are no guarantees in life be happy you were able to share a safe memorable trip together. (Besides if you paid that all $$ to sleep on a 180* bed why are you watching tv?)

Sonia Smith

In my recent flight in December 29/18 going to Colombia, for vacation, I have had an inconvenient during the trip, as soon as the flight arrives to Bogota, I contacted customer service via email to let them know what hapoened and after two days they contacted me back telling they will take care of it. After two days I got an email offering me a compensation, it was my choice to pick what I want among different gifts cards, of $200.00 dollars value, I did chose an Amazon gift card and today I began to use it.
I think that the fastest way to resolve an issue is send a email asap to customer service. I am happy with the w.ay they have compensated me.

David Zecca

Sadly Delta Airlines has taken a giant dip when it comes to customer service. I would love to know what they offered her. They should give her a voucher for the same amount the price was for that seat or refund her miles used to book that trip.

Allison
Reply to  David Zecca

Why. DELTA IS THE BEST
GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE.

Andy

Buying a flight on Norwegian and being switched to Wamos. A plane with no entertainment system per se. Seats on top of each other and horrible food. From Denver to London.

John

I want the two minutes of my life back that I spend reading this “article”. It says absolutely nothing.

David Zecca
Reply to  John

Your life isn’t that valuable.

Denise Nadeau

I would give her 10,000 miles. 1st class everything should work along with business class

Relaxed as F'ck

I mean mamas cry baby daughter..

Trixi
Reply to  Relaxed as F'ck

A lot of cry babies on here! I bet a lot of millennials!

David Catt

I had a similar problem flying economy from London to Chicago on United where the aircraft’s entertainment system did not work for many of the seats. United’s cabin crew apologized and gave us a complaint form to fill in and hand back to them when we landed. After about a month I received an apology and a voucher for two free flights on United anywhere in the USA.
That was about 15 years ago and doubt if this would happen today.

Relaxed as F'ck

I wouldn’t care she could still use Wi-Fi for ententertainment. Did the plane crash or were they rude? Crap happens thank God everybody dont cry about it mama’s boy. My moms TV hardly ever works while shes getting her 8hr cancer treatment. I’m pretty sure that cost way more than a stupid business Class flight. But it’s not a problem cuz I bought her a I-pad and downloaded her favorite movies on it even before she had cancer. This story pisses me off, your mom raised a cry baby..

Eel

This is not journalism. Instead, it reads like a journal entry. On the other hand, you were able to monetize some eyeballs.

dougc

pointless complaint, I guess 60 dollars would be a good compensation for yhe 4 movies she missed.. stupid, take a boat next time 8 days… crazy complaint; worded nicely but STUPID!!!!

Rathin

I think it is very frustrating when you fly for 10 hours and your entertainment screen is not working. Did they try to change her to an another seat? Well, I would expect Delta should give her a free round trip ticket to anywhere in north America if not more.

Sri

It happened in our flight from London to Atlanta two years back. We complained to the flight attendant and she gave us some Delta miles credit. Our pre-teen daughter did not care about the miles and we had to buy WiFi on the flight so she could watch something on her iPad.

Jeffrey Lemley

Ah, Shad-up. Her whole trip was FREE. I know they used frequent flyer miles, but the bottom line is…the trip was FREE.

Mark

Too bad about Mom !! The movies suck just like the airlines bill of faire…

Paul Pfeiffer

I have had the exact same thing happen and I requested 200 Delta dollars and 20,000 MQM and I got them, they understood.

S Miller

Had the same problem flying from Boston to Amsterdam. The entertainment screen for the entire row wasn’t working. The staff gave each person 5,000 frequent flyer miles during the flight.
Don’t know if that is too little or too much, but it was better than nothing. Fortunately I had a book and a lot of music on my phone, so the flight wasn’t intolerable.

Roni

I had a problem but in coach, the seat kept coming out i told the flight attended she said she will have to report it but there is nothing she can do because the flight was full. I made a complain with the airline and no one respond.
I flew on another airline and there was a gentleman who was really frustrated because he paid for first class ticket for 3000.00 and i bought a ticket on same flight and first class for 1100.00.

Marq

I feel so used after reading this. You used your readers as leverage against delta in hopes of getting more compensation. Shame shame shame. I want my 2 minutes back.

Tricia

I am sure Delta will offer some compensation. I am a Delta flyer and all I can say is Delta has been absolutely wonderful to me during some very unfortunate situations that effected my travels.

Bruce

What is even the point of this article?

Josh

I would ask for a flight voucher worth $1000. It seems like a lot, but having an IFE not work on an international flight is a real bummer, especially in Business Class. A $1000 voucher would at least allow her to fly anywhere in the USa round trip or even fly internationally if she finds a low price ticket.

Jules

Always, always bring some paperbacks. Always

Ronin

I had a similar issue on a hkg to sea flight a couple years ago. The flight attendant told me they compensate based on status. I was platinum at the time and they gave me 25k miles. It was all taken care of in flight. I happened to have an iPad with me which I connected to the wifi and watched delta studio for the 14 hour flight. It didn’t have the newest movies, but it helped kill the time.

Anthony Giordano

In November 17 I was on a Business Class flight from Beijing to Detroit. Same exact issue on Deltas newest flagship A350.

Honestly i didn’t care too much because I was exhausted and slept most of the 13 hour flight across the arctic circle. I have a buddy that is a Delta pilot and he was more miffed about the issue than i was. But i do understand the frustration.

Mark Alpern

Great article at least the 1st half of it so did Delta respond? ever think anyone will be curious if Delta gives a damn?

Fs

I had a non functional screen from ATL to GIG. I made a complain. They gave me some 9k miles or something like that

Michelle

Flew from South Bend Indiana to Dulles on Delta at Christmas time. I could not board plan because I didn’t have an assigned seat. The boarding person said I was last on his list, since I did not pay for an assigned seat ahead of time. Since when do I need to pay extra for an assigned seat? I will never fly Delta again.

Jeff

You did not buy a ticket to be entertained for 10 hours. You purchased a ticket to be transported for Minneapolis to London and they met that obligation. Entertainment is provided to help pass the time. I understand that you expected it to be a part of your trip, but as long as we depend on machines to work, they sometimes don’t. It sounds as though Delta did everything that was possible by the crew. I think that you probably deserve some type of compensation, but to say that her trip was ruined by this is a stretch. From my experience and knowledge of Delta Airlines and their Customer Service, I will be surprised if they don’t reach out to you, but it sounds like you are expecting too much.

Mr Dad

No. No it hasn’t.

Laureen C

Yes it pays to write a letter. Happened to me on a 8 hour flight and they weren’t able to fix it. So I wrote in and they sent me a credit voucher for a future trip .. can’t remember how much it was though but at least was something.

Don C

I had same thing happen. On the flight a Flight Attendant gave me 25000 miles. It was an annoyance and I appreciated the gesture.

Kathy

I have always wanted to go to Italy. It was on my bucket list. I just lost both my parents within 2 years of each other. It was a very stressful time. No longer being a caretaker, I was now able to go. My husband and I booked a 2 week trip. We have been saving up frequent fly miles for years. We decided to go business class. We flew American Airlines. While in flight, my Bose noise canceling headphones didn’t work. The flight attendant gave me several other pairs but it was obvious ut wasn’t the earphones but a loose connection somewhere in the unit. The flight attendant was upset and immediately went on her iPad and awarded me 10,000 frequent flyer miles to my account. Since I slept a lot on the flight to combat jet lag, I was ok with their effort to compensate me.

Jake

Tl;Dr – If something is broken, say something.

If there’s ever something wrong with my booking (either plane or hotel) – I let the staff know as soon as possible so they are aware there’s a problem and maybe they can fix it.

On our business class flight from London to Singapore on Singapore Air (purchased with 3 years of saved points), my partner’s IFE did not work. I told the crew member and they reset his tv. No problem at all.

In instances when nothing can be done (broken chair, or really broken IFE), they are at least aware and can vouch for me if I file a compliant.

Sue Sharp

Apparently the flight was full so they were not able to relocate her to a seat with an operable entertainment system. With that being said perhaps you could ask for a Delta credit for future travel.

Peter

This has happened to me. I have Diamond status and Delta provided me with Miles. In fact, the flight attendants handled it that evening. Of all the airlines Delta is consumer centric and will respond to the situation. Looking forward to the follow up

Xavier

Please know that the SOLE responsibility of ANY carrier is to get a customer from point A to point B safely. You buy a SEAT, that’s it. Originally, when flying started, all the “food and fluff” was non existent. What you see today isn’t a part of purchasing a “seat”. All these “extras” you are given were generated by the Air Carriers themselves to be competitive against one another. It isn’t a requirement to offer you anything beyond getting you to your destination in a safe manner. It’s as simple as that. Everything else is an EXTENDED COURTESY. And because of the desire to be #1, the more and more they give, the more and more “Entitlement” there is, and the less and less “Appreciation” is given. How do you explain the concept of Discount Carriers vs. Commercial Airlines??Southwest Airlines has some of the HAPPIEST & MOST DEDICATED customers, and they generally recieve nothing more than PEANUTS. God forbid if you go blind and can’t see or watch another television for the rest of your life…but 10 hrs.??? How I long for the good ol days when APPRECIATION was everything, and ENTITLEMENT was practically unheard of.
Strictly my humble opinion….

Kirsten

I realize the seat back entertainment screen isn’t the biggest deal. But the airline (if they have a brain) will use this glitch to their advantage. Does this lady fly often? Where? What would help her? One Complimentary (guaranteed ) upgrade to first class at her discretion? When I encountered a bad situation on a cross country flight several years ago, the smart flight attendant talked to me and learned I was on my way (in coach) to a 90th birthday party for my mom. She rounded up a half dozen bottles of wine from first class and gave them to me as I deplaned to take to the party!!! Smart, smart, smart. I’ve told a zillion people that story. Another time, an elderly lady in a wheelchair was parked near me at the gate. I greeted her , helped her, and watched her things so she could take her walker and use the bathroom.
The gate agent quietly asked me for my boarding pass and put me in first class! A very young military wife was flying cross country (first time flying) with 2 little boys to see their dad, just back from Afghanistan. She and I were the only Atlanta passengers and Southwest stranded us on the connection. They had no food and she didn’t know Hartsfield at all. I ran ahead and bought a huge sub sandwich which she could feed the meats and cheeses to her sleepy, hungry boys. This was critical because the trains stopped running in Hartsfield 30 min after we landed, so she had to run with her double stroller and I had to get food. We made it! Another time, again cross-country, a non English speaker was completely confused about how to make her connection. I had a time cushion, so I got her to her connecting gate. These are small things, but they sure helped my new best friends! How wonderful it would be if the AIRLINE had a few helpers to do this kind of thing instead of the off chance that a fellow passenger can help. Recognize and capitalize on this opportunity? You probably wont, but you should.

Matt

We had a 4hr jet blue flight with my family where the middle seat screen didn’t work. Naturally we had the same row on the return flight and still didn’t work. Jet blue gave a decent credit to accommodate any inconveniences on both flights

Nick

Thanks for wasting 5 minutes of my life.

Darshea

Same thing, only in coach. Flew delta Atlanta to Dubai, 14 hours, no entertainment. They ended up giving me a few thousand bonus miles, but still… it was rough.

Deb

I had the same experience on Delta One first class to Honolulu. They were able to restart it….3 times when it malifuctioned. Was frustrating and put me in a bad mood, grumpy and feeling p’ssed off. The flight attendant was very apologetic but left me feeling cheated out what I paid for that ticket, which was not cheap for the comfort lay down seats for the long flight.

Ed Catenacci

Easy fix … after living in the EU for a few years …and flying back and forth … I just changed to Lufthansa.

RobertG

My wife and I had a ticket we got thru amex travel that sent us to LAS on United and then the overnight flight to hawaii on Hawaiian air.

United screwed up and did not release the ticket and AmEx nor Hawaiian could figure out how to place us on a plane when we had confirmed seats and we ended up missing out on our day on Lanai (1k per night stay), spending the night in the airport before being placed on a plane the next day.

Hawaiian offered 150 bucks each to a future flight, United offered 100. Useless. And as a result we do not fly either of them, even if we have to pay double.

Delta on a first class flight of 8 hrs had a lack of meal choice and ride attendants. They sent me a fancy gift basket and extra miles to my account.

First world problems in both cases, but Delta response was appreciated.

Joe

$20 voucher. That’s about how much watching television is worth on an airplane.

Sean

Same thing happened to me SFO-JFK with those old 764s. 10,000 miles (upgraded using 20K miles, so this was fair IMO)

Karen Feldman

I always have the gogo app so I can watch Delta Entertainment’s huge list of shows on my phone or iPad should my seatback screen malfunction. Did you tell your mom about the app before she left?

Alonzo Lewis

As a flight attendant with another airline, if a similar situation happened we would give the passenger a sum of miles added to their frequent flier program. But if the passenger is not a member they would offer a voucher worth up to a certain amount off future travel. You definitely should write to Delta about the misfortune of your moms trip not going as well as you had hoped.

Bob Miller

Bought 1st Class ticket on Delta. Flight left Detroit for Salt Lake City. Seat 2A audio didn’t work. Flight 2904, Boeing 757. I don’t think I got what I paid for, either.

Luis M.

So what happened? Did Delta do anything?

ChrisL

PS. I did complain and Delta has not responded

Joseph

Airlines have been charging extra fees for years and they continue to milk money out of us. I stopped flying years ago because of these fees plus seats getting smaller forcing you to be cramped in. When the government stopped regulating is when this problem started.

ChrisL

I had the same experience on a Boston Amsterdam flight – screen broken and taped so the attendants could do anything about it, nor did they know about it until I brought it to their attention.

Chipper Lee

Yes…LA to Bangkok. Everyone got $50 voucher. Miserable flight. Cathay Pacific.

MikeJ

So, what’s the punch line? The two of you crafted a complaint? Wow.

julia foxgrover

Please Delta~ make her day !
Give her a future travel voucher for first class accommodations for anywhere in the US
That won’t break the bank and would make you feel great

Pamela McGovern

That is terrible. I am a travel agent and one of my first jobs was with Northwest WorldVacations in MN. Now they are Delta Vacations. I had a girlfriend who went to Rome and her entertainment center didn’t work. I went to Las Vegas and mine did not. I was in Premium Economy. They gave me a $200 credit voucher. I’m curious if Delta responded and did anything? I’d call them even if they did. If you did not like the answer than ask for a supervisor. You have to be tough.

Hh

This article was pointless. What did delta do about it…..????

Adelo

Everyone has a phone to play with or read a book. I think the airlines could credit you 50$ for the inconvenience.

JoeB

How indescribably sad you booked your mom on a domestic carrier for her first biz-class flight. You couldn’t hsve pimped a few more cards and sent her on a decent carrier?

Kalapret

It happened to me once on a delta flight between Atlanta and Mumbai. I wrote an email to Delta and received a $150 gift card.

Mona

It happened to us from Italy to Atlanta for about 3 hours. Was very frustrating sitting in a long flight with no entertainment.

Edward delgado

Entertainment is not included in the price of the ticket, i don’t think. Now you have an alternate entertainment service by Delta airline trough its WiFi.

Susie

I believe $100 to $200 gift card or airline credit would be appropriate. To ignore that she was a customer who paid well for a ticket and expected something and did not receive is unacceptable. Customer service is needed. If this happens often, they should have a back up. Free wifi, tablets with open access, something. I also had an “oh well” experience recently. Hard to imagine returning to that airline.

Pam

Yes this same thing happened to me on a Delta flight from Atlanta to Munich. My first international flight (I’m afraid to fly) and my first vacation in 10 years as I have special needs rescue dogs I can’t leave with anyone but my spouse.
I was recently retired too. I let Delta know via their customer survey emails. I never heard a word back from them not even an apology.
But like your wife, I still had a nice trip once I got there.

Eric Rosenberg

On my first international business class trip last month, my seat on LOT Polish didn’t lie flat!

They tried to fix it and were unable to. LOT offered 20% off a future ticket (worthless to me) and United gave me back 5,000 miles.

Still peeved about it.

Colton Mojesky

I flew from Johannesburg to Washington DC in November on South African Airways. The screens were broken the entire flight and they ran out of water approximately ⅓ of the way through the flight. Nothing complimentary or even an apology ever received from the airline.

Ken

On a United flight last summer from New York to Paris, the screens weren’t working. It was an overnight flight, so we didn’t really care. We didn’t even have to complain. When we landed, they made an announcement on the PA on the airplane that everyone would get a $100 gift card on United for future travel. They gave everyone a web address. I typed in the flight details later that day, and voila… 4 x $100 gift cards on United. That impressed me.

AMJ