We devote thousands of hours of research to help you get Big Travel with Small Money. You support us by signing-up for credit cards through partner links which earn us a commission. Here’s our full Advertising Policy.
Update: One or more card offers in this post are no longer available. Check our Hot Deals for the latest offers.
Million Mile Secrets reader, Allizon, tweeted:
Thanks for your question, Allizon!
Many folks are signing-up for the Chase Sapphire Preferred because the sign-up bonus has increased to 50,000 Chase Ultimate Rewards points when you spend $4,000 on purchases within the 3 months of opening your account.
It’s the highest sign-up bonus I’ve ever seen for this card!
But how long will it take to get the bonus points in your account?
I’ll explain how long it typically takes for the sign-up bonus from the Chase Sapphire Preferred and other popular cards to post to your account!
About the Chase Sapphire Preferred
Link: Chase Sapphire Preferred
Link: My Review of the Chase Sapphire Preferred CardWhen you sign-up for the Chase Sapphire Preferred and spend $4,000 on purchases within the 1st 3 months of opening your account, you’ll earn 50,000 Chase Ultimate Rewards points.
You’ll also get:
- 2X Chase Ultimate Rewards points per $1 spent on travel and dining
- 1X Chase Ultimate Rewards point per $1 spent on other purchases
- 5,000 bonus Chase Ultimate Rewards points when you add an authorized user who makes a purchase within the 1st 3 months
- Primary car rental insurance – Covers damage or theft to your rental car, when you pay for the rental with your card
- Trip delay reimbursement – Get up to $500 back per ticket when your trip is delayed more than 12 hours
- NO foreign transaction fees
The $95 annual fee is waived for the 1st year. So you can give the card a try for ~10 months. And if you don’t want to pay the fee in the 2nd year, it’s easy to cancel with a quick call or with a secure message through your online account.
But I think the benefits are well worth the fee, so I gladly pay it each year.
How Long Will It Take to Get the Points?
If Allizon completes the minimum spending on the Chase Sapphire Preferred card at least ~7 days before the end of the billing period, the points should post to her account after her statement closes. Otherwise, she’ll have to wait until the end of the next statement.
What About Cards From Other Banks?
The above rule generally holds true for other cards such as:
- Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite™ Mastercard® & Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite™ Mastercard® – Folks typically report the points crediting 2 business days after their statement closes
- Citi Prestige
- SimplyCash Business Credit Card from American Express
Signing-up for the Chase Sapphire Preferred card and waiting for the 50,000 Chase Ultimate Rewards bonus points to book an upcoming trip?
When you complete the minimum spending within ~7 days of the end of your billing period, the bonus will usually post to your account after the statement closes.
Did you recently sign-up for the Chase Sapphire Preferred card? How long did it take to get the bonus in your account?