How to Stack Miles & Points With Uber
Signing up for credit cards through partner links earns us a commission. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. Here’s our full Advertising Policy.
Update: One or more card offers in this post are no longer available. Check our Hot Deals for the latest offers.
Update: The AMEX Platinum cards will no longer earn bonus AMEX Membership Rewards points for Uber rides starting February 1, 2018.
Did you know you can earn airline miles, hotel points, and credit card rewards each time you take an Uber ride?
I’ll explain how!
Earn Rewards on Every Uber Ride
I love Uber because it’s easy to use and is available in many cities around the world. Plus, it’s cashless, which is great for folks who use credit cards to earn cash back or miles & points!
Uber drivers are also usually super friendly and have very clean cars!
The system is always improving, too. Earlier this year, they added the ability to tip your driver in-app! So that’s another way to earn the most rewards for your Uber ride. 😉
Here’s how you can earn rewards on every Uber ride!
Earning Credit Card Rewards With Uber
Barclaycard recently introduced the no-annual-fee Barclaycard Uber Visa Card, which has a 10,000 point sign-up bonus (worth $100) after spending $500 on purchases in the first 90 days of opening your account.
And it earns:
- 4% (4 points per $1) back on restaurants, takeout and bars, including UberEats
- 3% (3 points per $1) back on airfare, hotel, and vacation home rentals
- 2% (2 points per $1) back on online purchases including Uber, online shopping, video and music streaming services (certain online purchases are excluded, including 3rd-party payment services)
- 1% (1 point per $1) back on all other purchases
Each point is worth 1 cent towards Uber rides, statement credits, or gift cards.
The neat thing is, you can redeem your points for Uber rides directly in the Uber app, once you have a minimum of 500 points ($5). Or redeem them for statement credits or gift cards with a minimum of 2,500 points ($25).
Along with the Barclaycard Uber card, you can earn bonus rewards paying for Uber rides with the following cards and programs:
- AMEX Membership Rewards – Earn 2 points per $1 spent on Uber or use American Express Membership Rewards points for free rides (Note that AMEX Platinum credit cards will no longer earn 2 AMEX Membership Rewards points for Uber starting February 1, 2018)
- Chase Ink Business Preferred & Chase Sapphire Reserve – Uber rides code as travel. You’ll earn 3X Ultimate Rewards points per $1 spent on Uber
- Chase Sapphire Preferred Card – You’ll earn 2X Ultimate Rewards points per $1 spent on travel purchases, including Uber
- Citi ThankYou Premier Card – You’ll earn 3X Citi ThankYou points per $1 spent on Uber because it codes as travel
Just remember, because Uber is cashless, you have to link a credit card to pay for rides.
You can also link other cards, which don’t earn a bonus, but can get you extra airline or hotel points.
For example, use the Platinum Delta SkyMiles® Business Credit Card from American Express to earn 1 Delta mile per $1 on Uber rides. Or link the IHG® Rewards Club Select Credit Card to get 1 IHG point per $1 you spend on Uber.
And remember to look out for special Uber promotions to see if you can earn additional rewards or save money!
You can make the most of every Uber ride by earning airline miles, hotel points, and credit card rewards!
Just pay for your rides with a credit card that earns bonus points on travel, like the Chase Ink Business Preferred. It earns 3X Chase Ultimate Rewards points per $1 spent on travel purchases, like Uber. Or earn extra airline or hotel points by using a card like the Chase IHG card!
Chase Sapphire Preferred® CardAPPLY NOW
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That’s $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
Either $5 or 5% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater.
Editorial Note: We're the Million Mile Secrets team. And we're proud of our content, opinions and analysis, and of our reader's comments. These haven’t been reviewed, approved or endorsed by any of the airlines, hotels, or credit card issuers which we often write about. And that’s just how we like it! :)