Signing up for credit cards through partner links earns us a commission. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. Here’s our full Advertising Policy.
Update: One or more card offers in this post are no longer available. Check our Hot Deals for the latest offers.
If you enjoy flying with Delta, you should strongly consider adding the Platinum Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express to your wallet. That’s because this card offers an incredibly lucrative perk: an annual companion certificate.
Each year when you renew your card, you’ll receive a companion certificate that allows you to add another passenger to a domestic round-trip flight reservation for only the cost of taxes and fees. This perk is potentially worth many hundreds of dollars.
Right now, you can get even more value because the Amex Platinum Delta SkyMiles card is offering a limited-time increased welcome bonus. Through Oct. 30th 2019, you can earn 75,000 bonus miles and 5,000 MQMs after you spend $3,000 on purchases in the first three months. It’s hard to go wrong with this bonus because Delta miles never expire. Plus, you can earn an additional $100 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase within your first three months.
Here is our guide on how the companion certificate works and how you can use it to get a great deal on travel:
How to use the Platinum Delta SkyMiles companion certificate
As a cardmember of the Platinum Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express, you’ll receive a companion certificate each year when you renew the card. The Amex Platinum Delta SkyMiles credit card currently carries an annual fee of $195 ($250 if the application is received on or after January 30, 2020, see rates and fees), but as we’ll soon show you, the companion certificate can be worth many hundreds of dollars more than what you’ll pay as an annual fee.
The companion certificate allows you to add one passenger to a domestic round-trip flight reservation for just the cost of taxes and fees of no more than $75. It also comes with the following fine print in the eligibility terms:
- Redemption is only available on delta.com, and both passengers must be booked at the same time, in the same class of service and in the same record
- Most fares require an advance purchase of up to 14 days, a three-night minimum stay and a 30-day maximum stay
- You must use your Platinum Delta SkyMiles card to pay for the tickets
- Only eligible on Delta, Delta Connection carrier and Delta Shuttle flights within the 48 contiguous United States
- Residents of Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, or the U.S. Virgin Islands must originate from there to the 48 contiguous United States and have an address on their SkyMiles account in Hawaii, Alaska, Puerto Rico, or the U.S. Virgin Islands
- Seats are only available in L, U, T, X, V classes of service
- You’ll earn miles on the paid ticket, but not the companion ticket
The companion certificate will be made available for redemption on delta.com starting in your renewal month. To redeem your certificate, you can follow these steps:
- Log on to Delta.com
- Go to My Delta
- Click on “Credits and Certificates” in the “My Wallet” box
- Select the available certificate
- Search for eligible flights and book your trip
See Related: Read our full Platinum Delta SkyMiles credit card review
How valuable can the companion certificate be?
The companion certificate can be worth upwards of $500 or more, depending on when and where you fly. Even with the restrictions on using the companion certificate, many people in online forums have confirmed they had little to no trouble finding an eligible flight.
To give you an idea of how valuable the certificate can be, I looked at a flight from Chicago to New York in November 2019. If you were to pay cash for these flights, you’d be out of pocket a grand total of $733.20. But by redeeming the companion certificate, you’d pay just $418.78 — a savings of over $300.
Enhancing your flying experience with Delta
If you’re looking to get even more value from Delta, there’s a lot more than just the companion certificate. Our Delta SkyMiles review talks about why we love the program’s flexibility and value of earned miles. The Delta SkyMiles Platinum card can help you earn Delta elite status, and even without elite status the card will get you special perks like priority boarding, free checked bags and access to Delta Sky Club.
Right now there are a few Delta credit cards that are offering limited-time increased welcome bonus offers. It’s a great opportunity for you to quickly earn enough miles to take a trip on short notice:
- Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express: Earn 60,000 Delta miles after you spend $2,000 on purchases within the first three months, and a $50 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase within your first three months. (Ends October 30, 2019)
- Platinum Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express: Earn 75,000 bonus miles and 5,000 MQMs after you spend $3,000 on purchases in the first three months. Plus, earn a $100 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase within your first three months. (Ends October 30, 2019)
- Delta Reserve® Credit Card from American Express: Earn 75,000 bonus miles and 10,000 MQMs after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first three months. (Ends October 30, 2019)
There are lots of ways to use Delta miles. For example, with Delta’s Pay With Miles feature, miles are worth at least 1 cent per point, but they can be worth much more if redeemed for an award flight. Or use your miles to take advantage of Delta’s hidden award sales.
Each year when you renew the Platinum Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express, you’ll receive a companion certificate that allows you to add another passenger to a domestic round-trip flight reservation for only the cost of taxes and fees. Depending on where and when you fly, this could end up saving you hundreds of dollars, making the card’s annual fee well worth it.
But Delta has a lot more to offer than just a companion certificate. You can register in their Delta SkyMiles loyalty program where you can earn miles and status with the airline for more time and money-saving perks like priority boarding, free checked bags and Delta Sky Club lounge access.
Let us know if you’ve used the companion certificate and what your experience was like.
For the latest tips and tricks on traveling big without spending a fortune, please subscribe to the Million Mile Secrets daily email newsletter.
For rates and fees of the Platinum Delta SkyMiles Credit Card from American Express, please click here.