Signing up for credit cards through partner links earns us a commission. Here’s our full Advertising Policy.
With the Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite™ Mastercard®, you can potentially save $1,000+ off American Airlines flights!
You’ll earn 50,000 American Airlines miles after you complete the card’s minimum spending requirements. That’s enough miles for 2 round-trip coach award tickets within the US, 1 round-trip Business Class ticket to the Caribbean, Mexico, or Central America, and more!
The $450 annual fee is NOT waived for the first year. But this is a good opportunity to earn LOTS of American Airlines miles. Especially if you fly American Airlines often and enjoy premium perks like free checked bags, Admirals Club lounge access, and priority check-in and boarding!
I’ll share the details of the Citi American Airlines Executive card. And help you decide whether it’s worth applying for!
Citi AAdvantage Executive Review
You’ll also get:
- American Airlines Admirals Club membership (worth up to $650) – access to Admirals Club lounges when on a same-day American Airlines flight for you and your immediate family (spouse / domestic partner and children under 18) or up to 2 guests traveling with you
- Authorized users (free to add!) can also access Admirals Club lounges (without the primary cardholder)
- Up to $100 Global Entry or TSA PreCheck application fee credit (every 5 years)
- First checked bag free (for you and up to 8 companions traveling on the same reservation) on American Airlines domestic itineraries
- Priority check-in, security (where available), and boarding
- 10,000 elite-qualifying miles if you spend $40,000 or more on the card in a calendar year
- 2 American Airlines miles per $1 you spend on American Airlines
- 1 American Airlines mile per $1 you spend on everything else
- NO foreign transaction fees
Plus, with this card you’ll have access to American Airlines reduced mileage awards!
What Can You Do With 50,000 American Airlines Miles?
50,000 American Airlines miles is enough for 2 round-trip saver award coach tickets within the mainland US, which cost 25,000 American Airlines miles each. That alone could be worth $1,000 or more!
And 50,000 American Airlines miles is more than enough for saver award flights like:
- 6 one-way coach flights 500 miles or less within the mainland US or Canada (7,500 American Airlines miles per ticket)
- 2 one-way off-peak coach flights from the mainland US to Hawaii (20,000 American Airlines miles per ticket)
- 1 one-way coach ticket to Asia (35,000 American Airlines miles)
- 1 round-trip Business Class ticket to the Caribbean, Mexico, or Central America (50,000 American Airlines miles)
- 1 round-trip coach ticket to South America Region 1 (40,000 American Airlines miles per ticket)
- 2 round-trip off-peak coach ticket to Europe (22,500 American Airlines miles each way)
Plus, you can use American Airlines miles for flights on American Airlines’ oneworld partner airlines (like Cathay Pacific and Qantas), and other partners like Etihad. So they can be very valuable!
Benefits of the Citi AAdvantage Executive Card
In addition to a nice sign-up bonus, the Citi AAdvantage Executive card also comes with perks like extended warranty and purchase protection. And the ability to add authorized users for free. Lesser-known benefits like these can help save you money!
Citi Price Rewind
Personal cards from Citi include a built-in feature called Citi Price Rewind, that helps you save when prices drop.
You have to fill-in the details of each purchase you want to track on the Citi Price Rewind website. But you’ll get a full refund for the difference in price, up $200 per item and $1,000 per calendar year.
- Lower prices offered through a warehouse club where the merchant requires customers to pay a membership fee
The Citi AAdvantage Executive card offers purchase protection of $10,000 per item and $50,000 per year on eligible items for the first 120 days (90 days for New York residents) and return protection of $500 per item and $2,500 per year for the first 90 days after purchase.
By paying for an eligible item with the Citi American Airlines Executive card, you can also extend the manufacturer’s warranty by an additional 24 months (total coverage between both the manufacturer’s warranty and extended warranty cannot exceed 84 months).
Citi’s extended warranty does NOT cover the following items:
- Boats, cars, aircraft, or any other motorized land, air or water vehicles and their original equipment, including tires
- Services unless covered under the manufacturer’s warranty
- Used, antique, or pre-owned items
- Items purchased for resale, professional, or commercial use
- Land or buildings; housing properties
- Plants and live animals
- Items that don’t come with a manufacturer’s warranty
And you’ll be excluded from coverage if:
- You fail to care for or service the item appropriately as required by the manufacturer
- The item has a product defect, recall, or experiences normal wear and tear where no failure has occurred
- The item is damaged because of an act of God, such as a flood, hurricane, lightning, wind, or earthquake
Complimentary Authorized User Cards
Citi AAdvantage Executive cardholders can add up to 10 authorized users at no additional cost. This can be an incredibly useful perk because each authorized user you add receives Admirals Club access even when they are not traveling with you.
Is the Citi AAdvantage Executive Worth the Annual Fee?
You can get lots of travel with 50,000 American Airlines miles. Especially if you have a particular ticket in mind.
But with a $450 annual fee, you’ll have to decide whether the Citi American Airlines Executive card makes sense for your particular travel goals.
This card will likely work for someone who travels a lot on American Airlines and can make the most of the card’s ongoing perks, like American Airlines Admirals Club lounge access, free checked bags, and the Global Entry or TSA PreCheck fee credit.
A yearly Admirals Club membership will soon cost $650! And the Citi AAdvantage Executive is the only credit card that offers membership.
Plus, you can add up to 10 (free) authorized users to your Citi American Airlines Executive card, and they too will have lounge access, even if you’re not traveling with them. You can read more about why signing up for the Citi American Airlines Executive card is better than just buying an Admirals Club membership here.
Getting a free checked bag for yourself and up to 8 companions traveling on your same domestic American Airlines reservation can also save you TONS of money. Especially if you fly domestically a lot.
Using the sign-up bonus for otherwise expensive tickets is another great way to help offset the card’s high annual fee.
Does the Citi AAdvantage Card Charge Foreign Transaction Fees?
No. The Citi AAdvantage Executive card does NOT charge foreign transaction fees.
You can get LOTS of travel with 50,000 American Airlines miles. Like 2 round-trip coach tickets within the US, 2 one-way off-peak coach flights from the mainland US to Hawaii, or a round-trip Business Class ticket to the Caribbean, Mexico, or Central America!
Plus, you’ll get perks like free checked bags, Admirals Club lounge access (worth up to $550!), and priority boarding. But the $450 annual fee is NOT waived the first year.